Stainless steel rail mounted rod holder recommendations?

N2013

Anyone have any leads/experience with a particular brand? Either locally (Victoria) or else online. Found a few on amazon, not sure on the quality of them. Strictly for rod storage. Need to be single holders.

Last edited:
I have bought a few brands over the years. I bought a set of Tigress SS ones and Attwood as well. Both were good quality but weren’t the cheapest ones either. Some are a lower grade SS and will rust a bit over time from what I’ve seen.

I installed these on my Scotty’s. I drilled the mounting plate to thread a 5/16” hex bolt through the boom to keep it from spinning under the loaded rod. Worked out well.

A couple of years ago my friend had a downrigger rod holder mount break while fishing deep. Now his reactions are super quick, (being in the stern watching the rod tip might of helped) and he managed to save his rod and gear. We both figured it was because of the stress imparted by the amount of line out, the current, his speed,and an 18lb cannonball. Since then he has found 3 more with cracks, and has started a regime of replacing the posts every year. Unlike me, he uses expensive gear, still he got me to thinking about it as I do fish deep occasionally, to maybe 300 ft or so.

I had two of the rod holders similar to those mentioned above welded to the booms for use when I fish deep, while allowing the use of the Orcas when only going to a 100 or so feet.

This seems to be a viable solution, but is not without unforeseen limitations. First and foremost-- all stainless is not equal, some is easy to weld, others not so easy. The weld penetration extended into the interior of the boom. This prevents me from fully retracting the boom, not a problem for me as I run them partially extended in any event.

Here is a pictureboom2.jpg

Last edited:
mine .... Expensive but highly recommend .... Taco Metal on Amazon (I bought from Taco direct - Stainless Steel 1 1/2 ' ISP , you can't see it but it comes with white plastic insert to protect rod handles Rod Holder Attached.JPG. (PM me I got 2 for sale if interested , I bought 4 but only needed two )

Back