2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys... While they aren't the tastiest and most prized of salmon species, they are salmon. They are still fun to hook and not all that bad when smoked. I hooked a very fresh chum about 1 month ago while fishing for springs with a few friends. The chum was fresh and had a very light colored, to the point that it was barely noticeable but distinct side vertical marks which only chum salmon have. If we spend time and energy enjoying catching and cooking(smoking) these guys it would put less pressure on the other salmon species...

Nothing desperate about going out at this time of year when it's not a gong show on the water and if it happens to be chum in the waters then be it. Its not like you can just throw a bare hook out and they throw themselves to it. It's a great resource so why not enjoy and make the best out of it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Lots of the long time members on here (surprised none have chimed in on this thread yet), fish for them every year up in a Browns Bay. There’s probably even older threads on the derby they had up there with chrome Chum, some pretty big and certainly did not fight like an old boot.

In years with good chum returns, like 2016 and 2017, it was very common to hook multiple chum per outing off the South Arm. Chovies seemed to work better than hootchie.

If a few get hooked in the ocean , don't think it will make as big of an impact as all the Chum that will be caught by FN ,and strictly for the roe. Also, a bunch will be whacked on some local rivers for Sturgeon bait as well.
I will give it a try next time the wind allows it.
That being said , going to drift done Pink and Spring roe tomorrow for some Coho

If a few get hooked in the ocean , don't think it will make as big of an impact as all the Chum that will be caught by FN ,and strictly for the roe. Also, a bunch will be whacked on some local rivers for Sturgeon bait as well.
I will give it a try next time the wind allows it.
That being said , going to drift done Pink and Spring roe tomorrow for some Coho
let me know how u do as I was thinking of going for chum on the ocean myself

Isn't there supposed to be another large wave of interior cohos coming into the SA anytime now with a number of them being hatchery?

The Chehalis River gets a late run of Coho , so I would say yes .

Will post when I get out again to SH , stay tuned , some calmer days are coming this week .

Heading out tomorrow. Not sure where yet. Now you guys have me thinking harder.

post updates if you guys do head out this week. trying to see if i can get a day off midweek. Not sure if I can swing it but if I can, I'll post updates as well.

I'm heading out Friday going to take a look around some of those winter areas and see what's going on there on my way up to the coast. Anyone poked around tunstall or grace lately? Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back