Bertram VS Hourston Conversation...

The "more is better" mentality may have existed with the older rigs built by hourston. I have first hand experience with "modern" hourstons and my own opinion is the accountants got involved at some point.

They're definitely done with operations, best you can do for info is call hauruna as pete is there now.

Any idea how long that's been true? Boating Industry Canada put this out in August -

upload_2019-10-8_16-12-1.png

Any idea how long that's been true? Boating Industry Canada put this out in August -

View attachment 48469

I think they shut down about 2 years ago, the real estate in North Van has been sold to Bluestar Motors (car dealer) and the moulds are with someone who has posted on SFBC recently saying they will be revising the designs and selling now boats based on the originals via an online portal. It seemed to me that the actual production was going to happen offshore...They're definitely done.

Last edited:
I think they shut down about 2 years ago, the real estate in North Van has been sold to Bluestar Motors (car dealer) and the moulds are with someone who has posted on SFBC recently saying they will be revising the designs and selling now boats based on the originals via an online portal. It seemed to me that the actual production was going to happen offshore...They're definitely done.

Truth or Lie?

Hourston's flip when capsized, my understanding is that to comply with CG Regulations a vessel has to stay upright if/while swamped for the design to pass approval. So, the new owners of the molds are not grandfathered as was the 1923 builder "Hourston" which had no such regulation back-in-the-day. Therefore a recertification of the hull has to be submitted for compliance, which is costly and time consuming...

https://www.nsnews.com/news/boat-capsizes-near-lonsdale-quay-1.1261333

boat.jpg

I don't know about that cg regulation, got a link? I would think that any boat filled with water that has 5 dudes hanging on will roll over? Anyway I'm not gonna find out with mine lol

I don't know about that cg regulation, got a link? I would think that any boat filled with water that has 5 dudes hanging on will roll over? Anyway I'm not gonna find out with mine lol

Mine either, lol i'm not sure the validity of the info above, might be a bunch of rubbish! Would love to know for certain...

Last edited:
Truth or Lie?

Hourston's flip when capsized, my understanding is that to comply with CG Regulations a vessel has to stay upright if/while swamped for the design to pass approval. So, the new owners of the molds are not grandfathered as was the 1923 builder "Hourston" which had no such regulation back-in-the-day. Therefore a recertification of the hull has to be submitted for compliance, which is costly and time consuming...

https://www.nsnews.com/news/boat-capsizes-near-lonsdale-quay-1.1261333

View attachment 48471
Any boat that only has flotation/foam on the bottom but not the sides will flip when sunk.

Plenty of new boats that sink if the battery goes dead and they don’t have a self-bailing deck (riverhawk and more manufacturers). So I doubt that is a CG requirement. The boat is going down and that’s the way she goes

Attachments

• 2676BB0E-BFD8-4C03-BEC7-3024CC4A66BD.jpeg
    2676BB0E-BFD8-4C03-BEC7-3024CC4A66BD.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18
Plenty of new boats that sink if the battery goes dead and they don’t have a self-bailing deck (riverhawk and more manufacturers). So I doubt that is a CG requirement. The boat is going down and that’s the way she goes

So likely a bunch of hog-wash on the CG reg ...! Ya don't know until you ask :oops:

I had a stability test done for my Transport Canada rating. The guy has a bunch of plastic barrels he filled with water to make the boat list. He had some meter to measure the amount of list. He put a lot of weight on one side (3 barrels) and then overall (6) and it didn’t roll over, lol.

You'r kidding, wow that is impressive...!

I thought I had heard that over a certain length there was no floatation needed. Think it was between 18ft and 20ft, that's why you see guys digging out wet foam form so many that size and not larger boats.

25 or 26' berty all day
the beam is where its at
3-4 people or more on board and its the berty

just you or one other then what ever floats your boat ...

I thought I had heard that over a certain length there was no floatation needed. Think it was between 18ft and 20ft, that's why you see guys digging out wet foam form so many that size and not larger boats.
I always thought that as well....

Back