2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
EB5763E9-6829-4DC5-B4E1-8D327C93EF83.jpeg Got out with my buddy Thursday 11am-6:30pm for another attempt of the perfect day. Hopping for a couple springs, couple Coho & a couple Hali’s. Started off in tight along Mcaulay 100ft with gear down 50-75ft. Hit some small wild Coho that swam away then reved up the kicker to head across the harbour mouth to the breakwater and to our surprise a big strike and line peeled... it was on. As mentioned we were going in excess of 5mph and I reached down to slow us down and yup u can guess, poof gone.
Got reset at the breakwater on the second pass hooked a decent one that put on a great show for the onlookers, jumped 4 times clear outa the water. Thinking Coho by the jumps was surprised to see spots,black mouth full of teeth so netted 5lb spring. Nice clean hook in the corner of its mouth made a quick release. Hooked a few more Wild Coho and smaller springs then headed out for a 3pm-5pm Hali drift. Perfect conditions, calm seas, slack currents but not a bite so trolled back and had our 3rd double header of the day winding through the kelp tide line. No fish in the cooler today after 6 Coho & 4 springs to the boat, did keep 3 crabs and had a stellar day fishing in paradise.

Thursday night fished around trial got some nice coho to the boat. Friday afternoon started great at the yellow can then tapered off. Today lost 3 good fish those houdini coho are around. Went from oakbay all the way to constance and hit fish all along the way it was nice water but not gonna lie i was miffed about the losses they were fun while they were on.

Fished Halibut Saturday off Constance.
Saw a quit a few guys on anchor on or near Constance in all the usual spots and talked to several.
Nobody had any hali. including us.
Anyone with a success story?

Fished Halibut Saturday off Constance.
Saw a quit a few guys on anchor on or near Constance in all the usual spots and talked to several.
Nobody had any hali. including us.
Anyone with a success story?
I tried for Hali on Friday at the Mudhole and had the same result as you. Lots of boats out there and it didn't seem like there was much going on.

Went out front this morning at about 8 am, a little sun, a little rain, and some fog, typical September weather.

I was in denial and still tried for a the springs this morning, but there was nothing happening in front of the breakwater. Then the seaweed soup showed up and stayed in front of the breakwater, so I moved over to the green can & Macaulay point where I managed 2 hits, only one stuck, which happened to be about a 4-5# hatchery that made into the boat for a ride home to be BBQ’d. Both hits on same side with bait, @ 50’

Seen a few other fish caught, but not a lot of action

Wrapped it up about 1 pm.

Picked up a Chicken yesterday right off the bat out a few miles off Albert Head. Had it fowl hooked on a salmon head, we thought it was big or a skate but were pleasantly surprised when I hand bombed it dangerously into the boat. Thought we were going to be into it after a quick win and getting a spring on with a spoon trailing out the back but alas is spit the hook. No other bites 7am-2pm.

Went out at noon looking for some coho’s out deeper but only hooked a few small springs. Came in tighter around 2pm off breakwater but again only the odd shaker. Did a few loops around the green can and Mcaulay and at 3:15 in 95 ft and 52 on the riggers a double header hit hard. The big one got off but we netted the 16 lb red female. Saw another similar one caught beside us a bit later and heard a monster 27 lb was caught today. It felt good to get a decent fish again as it’s been a while.

Attachments

• EAE0F72E-DCF0-4F51-A6F9-CEBDDEC0C277.png
    EAE0F72E-DCF0-4F51-A6F9-CEBDDEC0C277.png
    2 MB · Views: 94
Picked up a Chicken yesterday right off the bat out a few miles off Albert Head. Had it fowl hooked on a salmon head, we thought it was big or a skate but were pleasantly surprised when I hand bombed it dangerously into the boat. Thought we were going to be into it after a quick win and getting a spring on with a spoon trailing out the back but alas is spit the hook. No other bites 7am-2pm.

It is not against the law to retain a fish that was foul hooked in the salt chuck, as long as its legal to retain.

Edit: the regs state the above for salmon; can’t find anything specific on hali
"It is illegal to wilfully foul hook a salmon. If you accidentally foul hook a salmon in the ocean, you can keep it. If you foul hook a salmon, wilfully or accidentally, in any lake or stream, including the tidal parts of coastal streams, you must release it immediately"
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html
"wilfully foul hook or attempt to foul hook any fish except herring, mackerel, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, Pacific sardine and squid"
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/first-premiere-eng.html#unlawfulactions
No rule regarding release of any other accidentally foul hooked so it appears legal.
"foul hook means to hook a fish in any part of its body other than the mouth."
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-1.html#h-979184

Rumor is a nice salmon was caught off the breakwater today. Can anyone confirm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back