Well, someone stole my spoon design and misreprenting as their own...not cool.

Andrew - I've had dealings w legal issues around products for years, and have ran across my fair share of sleazebags like the guy you mentioned above. You don't need a patent to enforce - read up on "trade dress" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress

And once you have a US lawyer, he'll advise you on what to do. He may recommend sending letters to the tackle stores who are selling John's product and warn them to cease retailing the product.

It's hard not to take this personally, but just remember that lawsuits and knock-offs (and subsequent run-ins with sleazebags) is a form of a compliment (in an odd way!). You're successful enough at something to warrant a rip off.

Don't lose any sleep on this - just start action now, and get on this f@@# with a legal letter.

That picture of the Chinese junk is swains general store in Port Angeles, I will have a word with the tackle guys next time in there store. EZ spoon, Yea When you steal the idea from somebody its pretty EZ.

Andrew - I've had dealings w legal issues around products for years, and have ran across my fair share of sleazebags like the guy you mentioned above. You don't need a patent to enforce - read up on "trade dress" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress

And once you have a US lawyer, he'll advise you on what to do. He may recommend sending letters to the tackle stores who are selling John's product and warn them to cease retailing the product.

It's hard not to take this personally, but just remember that lawsuits and knock-offs (and subsequent run-ins with sleazebags) is a form of a compliment (in an odd way!). You're successful enough at something to warrant a rip off.

Don't lose any sleep on this - just start action now, and get on this f@@# with a legal letter.

Thanks @Sangstercraft! I've been reading up on all this stuff...and I agree that I do have a leg to stand on! My father-in-law is heavy hitting lawyer and have a good family friend lawyer in the states to help me out too. I've already reached out to Swains and a couple others to let them know I am taking legal action against this guy and if they don't stop selling the product, I will be naming them too. Thanks for the 'trade dress' tip!

IIRC the 'trade dress' angle was what the people who bought the Pen Tac company used to shut down the old owner when he went into business selling exactly the same thing just a few months after the sale.

I first bought your spoons when you first started and were selling them only in the Sitka store in downtown Victoria. I liked the story and the product looked good and like to support the little guy. Turns out the product was also a winner and continues to be. Now for some lowlife to now try and rip you off is ******, I will continue to buy your great product and share and do what I can to spread the word that you copied and ripped off. I wish you all the best in getting this resolved as soon as possible.

Sad to hear Andrew, you are super personable and I have gone to your place to pick up spoons a few times.

I am sure you have tons of loyal followers that will gladly buy from you to support the cost of crushing this guy. Perhaps a sale / campaign? Don’t worry and just find out how to shut down this fellow.

Best of luck

How was fishing Saturday ? Saw Dawn Patrol pass me heading in.

Some people are just plain ignorant, rip off original ideas and claim as there own.

I real like your spoons and they work well on Kootenay Lake for dollies and rainbow.

Every month I enjoy getting my spoonscription in the mail. I can tell the time and effort in the design and quality of your product.
I also enjoy the card with how to fish them. I wasn’t much of a spoon fisherman, but now enjoy success with them via your help.

Keep up the good work,

no. although this design has been replicated. can’t remember the name of the company that makes a considerably better version with really good paint adhesion. i think they’re also just over the line. they’re really expensive.
They are called king slayer lures, And they are a much better spoon than the coho killer But you pay up for them. Still not as good as AP spoons.

They are called king slayer lures, And they are a much better spoon than the coho killer But you pay up for them. Still not as good as AP spoons.

I believe that those King Slayer lures are also titanium

John Beath was once known as a halibut guru who wrote books and made some videos. People started to notice that although well educated from his research on the topic that he was great at promoting and sharing experiences. He then decided to start selling halibut and lingcod related products. He copied some of my rigs and claimed them as his. He also burned B2 Squid which at one time Luhr Jensen licensed...but was sold to a young couple who built it back up and John Beath started selling them on his site, but then went to China with it and next thing ya know, knock off city. B2 Squid is still going strong.

No point in getting lawyers unless you have patents in both US and Canada or other countries. Charlie Jones of CJ Special fame did this and the process cost him 10's of thousands of dollars to get both USA and Canada.

There will always be copies or knock offs of the best stuff. Be first to market, be the best that you can be and market the hell out of it and be very loud about what you do. Don't worry about the idiots that can't create things of there own.

Just keep on doing what you are doing Andrew. I am with you and will always help you where ever I can if you need me to do so.

Great post. This is exactly what I was getting at. We are all talking about different versions and types of a fishing spoon. Although it may be upsetting to see a Chinese made knock, this is not the first or the last time something like this will happen.

No one ever wins when lawyers are involved.

Work hard, tell your story and people will choose your locally made product.

Great post. This is exactly what I was getting at. We are all talking about different versions and types of a fishing spoon. Although it may be upsetting to see a Chinese made knock, this is not the first or the last time something like this will happen.

No one ever wins when lawyers are involved.

Work hard, tell your story and people will choose your locally made product.

I agree to a point. However, Lawyers can be good at nipping things depending on the situation. This guy does not seem like a big player. A letter from a respected law firm might scare this guy off if he doesn't have the funds to hire a decent lawyer himself.

Wonder what his handle on here is... for sure he’s on here if he’s that much into promoting fishing stuff and keeping up on the latest and greatest. Probably found out about AP spoons from here. Quite the Asshat by the sounds of it. Sorry to hear about this Andrew. Hope you get some satisfaction out of the legal process, if you go that route.

Yes! thanks for that! i remember a while ago a bunch of guys trying to organize a group buy and when i saw the price i turned and ran. nice looking product.

the AP herring pattern in MVP colours is one of my all time faves.

I have been a supporter of AP Tackle Works and user of the spoons since the very beginning. I will continue to be as they work ! Andrew has become a personal friend and fishing partner. It saddens me that someone would disrespect the work he has done in developing a quality product. Shame on John Beath and Squid Pro... As someone who spends a lot of money and time on fishing gear and fishing, Squid Pro will never see a nickel of my money !

Greg

I wont and i will let all our fishing buddies know to NOT but his crap Andrew.

Typical arrogant twit riding off the backs of some one else. Sounds like a real idiot too with everyone that ingages him.

Good luck to you Andrew.

HT

Back