Englefield Shutting Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeweekend

Crew Member
Just got this e-mail from Westcoast Resorts. A real shame as this was my favourite fly in lodge.

Haida Tourism Discontinuing Sportfishing Operations

Valued Westcoast Resorts Guests,

As of 2020 HaiCo/Haida Tourism will no longer be operating fishing lodges and is leaving the sportfishing industry. Westcoast Resorts and Englefield Bay Lodge are being closed.

These changes are effective as of the closing of the 2019 season and we wanted to inform you as soon as possible so you may make alternate arrangements for your fishing experiences next year.

In the coming months we will be reporting on Haida Tourism's new strategy, which will continue to provide outstanding experiences and be more aligned with the values of our Haida ownership.

Thank you again for your past support.

Should you have further concerns, please reach out via email to info@westcoastresorts.com

With our most sincere appreciation,
Candace Dennis
CEO Haida Enterprise Corporation

Too bad, that was my first trip to Haida Gwai about 15 years ago.
Westcoast resorts ran a great lodge there.

The Hida dumping sports fishing is not very good for the future of sports fishing up their. Alother Big blow to sports fishing,

this sentence says it all

"In the coming months we will be reporting on Haida Tourism's new strategy, which will continue to provide outstanding experiences and be more aligned with the values of our Haida ownership."

I think we have to stop and think more closely here. They may have been losing money for sometime. Keep in mind while sport fishing was impacted I know for a fact around the island region many tourism businesses were down 30-40 percent in prime season. The numbers of European and asian tourists were down. That is fact and not made up. So with the restrictions and impact to tourism it really impacts your business. Must have been tough there this year.

Personally I think there is more to this story. I am not sure Haida Gawii is dumping sport fishing. They are just getting out of the business, and probably see more of market in other things with the operation they have.

I think we have to stop and think more closely here. They may have been losing money for sometime. Keep in mind while sport fishing was impacted I know for a fact around the island region many tourism businesses were down 30-40 percent in prime season. The numbers of European and asian tourists were down. That is fact and not made up. So with the restrictions and impact to tourism it really impacts your business. Must have been tough there this year.

Personally I think there is more to this story. I am not sure Haida Gawii is dumping sport fishing. They are just getting out of the business, and probably see more of market in other things with the operation they have.
Probably didn't help having their Hippa Island Lodge run aground this year

That couldn't help.
I think the end has been coming for a while. I was at their Whale Channel Lodge on their last Salmon Masters tournament. At the end of that season they got rid of that lodge which was typically moved to Milbanke Sound mid-season.
Not sure what year that was but a while ago now.
As Scott says it's too bad because I was up at the Englefield Bay Lodge a number of years ago and experienced some of the best Chinook fishing I have ever had.
I caught at least one Tyee every day and had a 40 Chinook day as well as some big Coho thrown in.

How can you attract clients when you have the Canadian Federal Government creating chaos with untimely announcements and last minute changes to regulations? These businesses spend their marketing dollars at trade shows early in the new year and well into spring trying to convince international anglers to spend their dollars here in Canada. What do you think happens when those who signed on are called later and told that everything they were told at the show has changed for the worse? Many cancel, some are pissed but come one last time because it is to late to change their plans (and never come back) and a few will return but want to book dates for the following season that are safer and likely not to see last minute changes. The result, shortened seasons and less happy clients. Congrats DFO a sure fire way to kill investment in our future.

I think the end has been coming for a while. I was at their Whale Channel Lodge on their last Salmon Masters tournament. At the end of that season they got rid of that lodge which was typically moved to Milbanke Sound mid-season.
Not sure what year that was but a while ago now.
As Scott says it's too bad because I was up at the Englefield Bay Lodge a number of years ago and experienced some of the best Chinook fishing I have ever had.
I caught at least one Tyee every day and had a 40 Chinook day as well as some big Coho thrown in.
They renovated the old Milbanke Lodge and turned it into a 24 occupancy eco lodge renamed “Ocean House”, which was also located in Englefield Bay in Peel Inlet. They ran eco and some fishing trips out of it this past summer.

I'm thinking it's just a plain-Jane business decision. The fancy new Spirit Bear Lodge in Klemptu has a fleet of very nice boats and the first thing you notice is there's not a Scottie or a net to be seen. Yet the lodge is at full capacity and probably doing quite well. The consultant who helped steer the direction of their business plan was quite clear with his recommendations: don,t touch sport fishing options with a stick because it's a losing proposition

Lodges have been disappearing LONG before the heinous fishing regs. Barnard Harbor? Gone. One of the lodges in St. John's Harbor? Gone. And you can imagine the additional fixed costs of running one out on the far coast of Haida Gwaii. Just the freight costs of keeping people fed and doused with beer and wine after a day on the water must be huge....Eco tours on a SUP, anyone?

I'm thinking it's just a plain-Jane business decision. The fancy new Spirit Bear Lodge in Klemptu has a fleet of very nice boats and the first thing you notice is there's not a Scottie or a net to be seen. Yet the lodge is at full capacity and probably doing quite well. The consultant who helped steer the direction of their business plan was quite clear with his recommendations: don,t touch sport fishing options with a stick because it's a losing proposition

Lodges have been disappearing LONG before the heinous fishing regs. Barnard Harbor? Gone. One of the lodges in St. John's Harbor? Gone. And you can imagine the additional fixed costs of running one out on the far coast of Haida Gwaii. Just the freight costs of keeping people fed and doused with beer and wine after a day on the water must be huge....Eco tours on a SUP, anyone?
I was up at QCL for 4 days on August 23rd. You want to talk about expenses, the lodge holds 120 guests but they have a staff of 160 and everything is high end! Food was out of this world and the service second to none. Luckily I was an invited guest because there's no way in hell I could afford a trip like that!
It was fully guided and their fleet of boats is equally impressive. I think 20 Grady Whites and another 30 or so of top end welded aluminums.

Not sure on this. The lodge was full all year. No spots. I fished from Ocean House - it is beautiful but they can't get enough eco trips booked. The rumour is a takeover was offered by an outside group, but the Haidi's don't want anyone fishing in Englefield Bay. They will sell the barge, but it isn't allowed back to Englefield. Hopefully that will change.

They were for sale during the summer on usedsomething or kijiji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back