Braid to mono knot

Pippen

Hey....

Bought some new reels this year and for the first time went braid to mono.

When in Kyuquot everyone fighting fish had the "clunk" when going from the braid to mono as it ground against the guides. I think I have read this but is a brush with clear nail polish good to smooth the knot?

Thanks.

Hey....

Bought some new reels this year and for the first time went braid to mono.

When in Kyuquot everyone fighting fish had the "clunk" when going from the braid to mono as it ground against the guides. I think I have read this but is a brush with clear nail polish good to smooth the knot?

Thanks.
What knot did you use to tie them together? I made the same switch this year on one rod and I don't like the clunk. I did a double uni but I'm wondering if I can have a better knot that will pass through the eyelets better. I might just go to zero knots (straight braid or mono) and not worry about it passing through the eyelets unless it gets down to the backing.

I use a double Albright. Tied and trimmed properly, it's very low profile. A drop of glue on the ends helps it go through the guides.

I use a double Albright. Tied and trimmed properly, it's very low profile. A drop of glue on the ends helps it go through the guides.
X2 on the double Albright. I use it for connecting a Fluro leader to braid on my spinning reel too. Touch of super glue and you won’t feel it there.

i use a double uni. i find the knot gets big when you do lots of wraps with the mono. i only do about six wraps of mono tops . doesn’t matter much with the braid as the diameter is so small hit i do about 8-10 wraps. i tried the nail polish thing but i found it made it “clunk” even worse going thru the guides, so i don’t bother.

i’m gonna try the albright knot per above

FG knot - casts great! I wrap 24 before I half hitch it off. 50# to 50# for ocean casting up to 8 oz weights.

FG knot . As Tubber said , just a tick no clunk. Hardly notice it. I usually put a dab of crazy glue on tag ( not mandatory) and “Bobs your uncle”

Last edited:
I use the Albright knot when I need to tie on the boat and a version of the FG knot otherwise. Whichever I apply superglue to finish. While I can tell when the mono leader comes into the rings neither knot 'clunks'.

I've used the Shimano bobbin for the last two years to make my FG knots. A bit pricey but they make unreal knots and once you get good with them they don't take long at all. I've never had a knot break or slip.

Back