Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2019...

fishon.png

Rod Stewart once sang: "Every picture tells a story don't it?" and this picture shows the moment of the strike and one armed hook-set that Josh recorded on his camera two nights ago.
This is a screen grab from the video and is not a contrived photo at all, showing exactly the wide-eyed and shocked look at the moment of the strike when he's holding the stern light in his other hand.

We both still laugh at his next move, which was to ask me what he should do with the light, now that he had a fish on.

As I mentioned before, I merely told him to put it back down. LOL (I'm brilliant in a pinch.)

Note both oars in operation at this time.

fishon3.png

This shot shows the moment of exultation we shared upon realizing we actually had captured the strike and one-armed hook-set on video and were indeed into a fish.

Considering the number of times people have been rowed in the pool with a camera all set to capture any action and then failed to hook a fish, we were stoked, to say the least, given this was an unexpected bonus.

fishon4.png

Another action shot showing Josh putting the boots to the fish so that I can net it. Note one oar is missing and now floating some 10 feet away but we were otherwise engaged so left that problem for future reference.

fishon7.png

And just to prove I actually did net it in the end, here's the final screen grab from the raw video of the event.

The final product might be interesting but I suspect there will be some editing work to get through before anything can be made of what Josh has.

I'm stoked to have been a part of it and hope it will inspire some interest in others who may want to try rowing in the Tyee Pool someday.

Oh, the loose oar floated right back to the boat and was retrieved with no effort, so in the end, all worked out nicely.

Sure, it would have been even better if the fish had been a Tyee, but nobody here is complaining.

Well, except for the guy I had out last night, who didn't get a sniff.

Take care.

This is definitely on my bucket list! Dave you ‘re a great storyteller!

Dave,

is that a gaff head on the shaft of your net, right by the basket?

It's not on the shaft of the net, it just looks like that in the pic.

I used it to bonk the fish in the net because my "priest" was out of reach.

Old home-made gaff my Dad made years ago.

Take care.

It's pouring out and I'm safe and dry inside, having chosen to forgo rowing tonight.

Instead, here's a catch-up on photos of the successful anglers who registered a Tyee this year, starting with Bruce Herkes (L) and Reid Herkes (R) and their nice little one from back on August 27th.

HerkesTyee.jpg

Next we have Jim Clowes and pal John Todd with their 32 1/2 pounder, taken at 5:50 AM back on September 4th. It's a shame the photo is so small that Jim had to crouch to fit in it, but that's just the way it is.
ClowesTyee.jpg

FryerTyee.jpg

And above we have Mike Mackie (L) and Rich Fryer, the newest member of the Tyee Club of BC.

Mike has been the hottest rower in the pool the past few years, as I've already noted elsewhere, so no surprise that he scored again this year. Fish taken September 9th.

MainsTyee.jpg

Finally, we have the always effervescent Bob Main (R), hiding his elation at rowing himself into this 32 1/2 pounder last Monday just after Josh and I had our little adventure.
As mentioned before, Bob was upset that his nephew hadn't caught the fish, as that's what Bob was trying to accomplish.

Finally, here's the link to the short trailer Josh whipped up from the video footage from last Monday.
It shows a bit of instruction and the one-armed strike, Josh waving the stern light around and asking me what to do. You can barely hear me but I simply told him to drop it, which he did.

Then I got to yell: FISH ON!!

Take care.

It's pouring out and I'm safe and dry inside, having chosen to forgo rowing tonight.

Instead, here's a catch-up on photos of the successful anglers who registered a Tyee this year, starting with Bruce Herkes (L) and Reid Herkes (R) and their nice little one from back on August 27th.

View attachment 47875

Next we have Jim Clowes and pal John Todd with their 32 1/2 pounder, taken at 5:50 AM back on September 4th. It's a shame the photo is so small that Jim had to crouch to fit in it, but that's just the way it is.
View attachment 47876

View attachment 47877

And above we have Mike Mackie (L) and Rich Fryer, the newest member of the Tyee Club of BC.

Mike has been the hottest rower in the pool the past few years, as I've already noted elsewhere, so no surprise that he scored again this year. Fish taken September 9th.

View attachment 47878

Finally, we have the always effervescent Bob Main (R), hiding his elation at rowing himself into this 32 1/2 pounder last Monday just after Josh and I had our little adventure.
As mentioned before, Bob was upset that his nephew hadn't caught the fish, as that's what Bob was trying to accomplish.

Finally, here's the link to the short trailer Josh whipped up from the video footage from last Monday.
It shows a bit of instruction and the one-armed strike, Josh waving the stern light around and asking me what to do. You can barely hear me but I simply told him to drop it, which he did.

Take care.
Dave you have a gift! Love reading your musings

So cool to see Reid Herkes is still rowing. I was a student of his in the early 2000s (Southgate middle school. What a beauty!

View attachment 47875

View attachment 47876

View attachment 47877

View attachment 47878

Take care.
Hey Dave,
great clip! As a Long time rod builder and especially the era of those yellow fiberglass rods, I was wondering what blank your Tyee Clubs rods were made from?

Hey Dave,
great clip! As a Long time rod builder and especially the era of those yellow fiberglass rods, I was wondering what blank your Tyee Clubs rods were made from?

My personal rods (3 of them) are all Rich-Make #760's, representing 7' 6" long, but I don't know what blanks they used.

I'll find out for you and let you know.

Should be some knowledgeable types at the clubhouse tonight, end of season and all that.

Catch you later.

Take care.

I believe they are Lamiglass blanks.
Ken at Rivers Sportsman will know.

My personal rods (3 of them) are all Rich-Make #760's, representing 7' 6" long, but I don't know what blanks they used.

I'll find out for you and let you know.

Should be some knowledgeable types at the clubhouse tonight, end of season and all that.

Catch you.

Hey Dave,

Sorry for delay in response, but in the moment of fireworks, end of season farewells and such, I completely forgot to ask any of the old guys about your question.

Subsequently I've discovered the blanks used for most of the Rich-Make trolling rods were Lamiglas, and honey beige is the colour.

Did not know that before, so thanks for asking.

Take care.

If you contact Lamiglas they might have the blanks or the mandrills to make them.
When I went through their factory they had all their old ones.

They make great rods but they lost in the marketing to loomis.

Ahh those honey lami's. I have built several on the MB1143F blank, perhaps the best deep water mooching blank made. All from the early 1980's. White and honey. One piece, 9'-6" long.

If I could find a stash of the MB1143 F blanks today I would buy them!

I think they would make an excellent Tyee rod for pulling the Luckies.

The white one on the far right has been trimmed back to a no. 10 tip for a heavy jigging rod. Normal tip at 9 ft 6 in is a no. 8.

Bst6mfm.jpg

LTKoYYN.jpg

As I sit here listening to the wind-driven rain pelting my humble abode I realize I should have done the year end wind-up earlier, and I wonder if I delayed because I didn't want to end it yet?

But the weather today has confirmed it's over, so here we go.

Looking at the timing of the 13 Tyee registered we see the first two caught on the same day, August 7th, and then a gap to the 21st, when Betty Gage registered hers. By the way, I asked her if that was the first one Roger had rowed her to and it turns out it was.

From there we had the largest Tyee rowed on the 23rd, John Woodward with Rower R. D. Berger and the fish took a spoon.

Two Tyee on the 24th.

Two Tyee on the 25th.

One each on the 27th, the 31st, and on September 4th.

The final two came on September 9th.

Total of 13 is not good and the largest Tyee being but 36 pounds is not good either, IMHO.

Hopefully the program of pairing off big males with big females in the hatchery will produce some positive results going forward, but then we hear of another warm water regime identified along the coast and that always raises the question of future ocean survival rates in my mind.

I don't want to discuss fish politics here so I'll wind up by thanking all those who took a chance with me this year, I appreciate each and every one of you, but particularly those who have had zero success but come each year regardless.

This year was the opposite of last, when I had but four strikes and all with the same rod-holder resulting in zero fish in the boat.

This year I again had but four strikes, but managed to boat all four fish, two by the same guy, one by someone who hadn't caught a salmon in over 20 years, and one on video with Josh, the highlight of the season for me.

I must credit my neighbor, Terry Malbon, for showing me a better way to sharpen my hooks too, as that, along with the fine-tuning on them by Owen, paid off.

In closing I'd like to point out that once again the infamous Bob Main failed to dislodge me from my perch as King Of The Cabezons. In fact, he was such a failure in that attempt that he actually caught a Tyee whilst Cabezon fishing, if you can believe it. Poor Bob.

FishAssassin (Owen) and I laid claim to the Lord Of The Lings Award. As well Owen is the only person to actually boat two salmon in the same season whilst in my boat, something he accomplished in but three outings too. Had he not whined so much about all the reeling he had to do whilst fighting our first fish, I might have given him another award.

I would have had the best non-Tyee related series of awards had not some stickler for the rules disallowed the beautiful and really huge Bull Kelp that pal Peter and I brought to boat-side, so I can't claim the King Of Bull Award this year, thus I'm denied the Trifecta of awards I so covet.

The last night brought the crowds to the clubhouse where stories were swapped, food was nibbled, drinks were quaffed and farewells were shared.

And we had fireworks too.

RSCN5989.JPG

RSCN5992.JPG

And finally, I managed to decorate my boat on the last night in my traditional manner, a blonde and a brunette. Works for me. LOL

IMG_3696.jpg

Until we meet again, and I sincerely hope we do..........................

Take care.

Dave Hadden,

Tyee Pool Tour Guide and YouTube star.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

What a fun year!

Back