DFO finally does something about poachers.

I think the credit on this one goes to the person or persons that reported it.
Maybe the better call IS to the RCMP for these type of things? Clearly DFO doesn't do SFA about it. I wonder if other jurisdictions/departments like VPD could also respond to calls and cover some costs with civil forfeitures.

Saw that Cutwater at Tsawassen terminal back in May or June. Was gonna go talk to him as last year there was a sister boat at the Cap trolling north/south versus east/west that everyone wanted to chuck lead at.

Saw the WA registration and stayed in my vehicle.

I wonder if they got their retention advice from Moutcha processing as per the thread last year. Go home and don't eat your catch despite processing or it all goes to your limit.

Saw that boat in late July/early August in Nootka this year. And last year, if I’m not mistaken.
Lots and lots of Washington registered vessels up there lately, and it seems to be increasing every year.

I wonder how many successful trips home they made before getting caught ?

Looks like they used a chain saw on those springs. That's a very costly lesson that appears totally deserved.

Btw that cutwater off ambleside last season was brutal. That's the guy who liked to show his buddies how big a wake he could kick up by hitting it in the middle of the troll as he peeled off. It looked basically brand new.

Looks like they used a chain saw on those springs. That's a very costly lesson that appears totally deserved.

Btw that cutwater off ambleside last season was brutal. That's the guy who liked to show his buddies how big a wake he could kick up by hitting it in the middle of the troll as he peeled off. It looked basically brand new.

Just out of interest is there a limit on salmon roe?? Just wondered why they pointed that out in the charges if there is a limit. I personally never new there was a limit if there is one.

Just out of interest is there a limit on salmon roe?? Just wondered why they pointed that out in the charges if there is a limit. I personally never new there was a limit if there is one.

wondering the same thing. also apparently three guys. they shouldn’t have mentioned lings either unless they were undersize? am i missing something

Last edited:
Only one I know is from bc freshwater regs.

Roe... you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a receipt with you if you purchased roe from a commercial source.

Only one I know is from bc freshwater regs.

Roe... you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a receipt with you if you purchased roe from a commercial source.
Thank you did not know that.

Saw this boat around Nootka early August. Folks on facebook mentioned seeing it in Tofino and Ucluelet also

Disgusting. Any updates through the legal process would be appreciated if they could be posted. Thanks.

Maybe the better call IS to the RCMP for these type of things? Clearly DFO doesn't do SFA about it. I wonder if other jurisdictions/departments like VPD could also respond to calls and cover some costs with civil forfeitures.

Certainly at Nootka it seems makes a difference. "Nootka Sound RCMP at 250-283-2227." I have been stopped three times this year, RCMP were there once. Great that the the boat was seized. What,s that boat worth? $50-100 thousand. Court process at least a year, Lawyer costs?? They and that boat will be pariahs on this coast even if they eventually get it back. Hopefully the courts will go hard on them.

Certainly at Nootka it seems makes a difference. "Nootka Sound RCMP at 250-283-2227." I have been stopped three times this year, RCMP were there once. Great that the the boat was seized. What,s that boat worth? $50-100 thousand. Court process at least a year, Lawyer costs?? They and that boat will be pariahs on this coast even if they eventually get it back. Hopefully the courts will go hard on them.
I was wondering the same thing re the $ value of the boat

Here is a used 30' (2015) for 250K (no typo)! Not the exact but close enough

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/429231/cutwater-c30-nanaimo-british-columbia

That boats worth a lot more than that

Back