Sturgeon

Norm-
Not picking on you buddy.....
But please, please don't post pictures of larger fish being held out of water....first of all, it is illegal, more importantly is it can damage the fish!
We will be having enough problems keeping this fishery open.

Thanks DGM.....still remember my first partial season...we caught 40 sturgeon over 3 months or so...... when we finally dialed fully in, our best day has been 43 fish....biggest fish still sits at 10'4"....still trying to break that number!

Be safe out there, respect the fish, have fun, release the fish very fast.......as far as hooking them, think like a fish (what is in the water that they are eating now) and try to rip their lips off on your hookset!!

Went out with a friend today around mitchel island. Saw two jump but no hook ups for us
We were using rods sAcks and salmon bits

Lots of suckers tapping the bait but no big bumps

Anyone been out the last couple weeks? I'm hoping to get out in a few days on the lower river. Salmon must be the ticket about now.

can't wait to get back down and giver a go again. Been many years... but was a tonn of fun when there wasn't much else to do on the coast or to introduce new anglers to something really awesome.

Was out yesterday , got 5 to the boat , and a bunch more bites. Had two virgins with me , and they both popped their Sturgeon Cherry. Hot weather , good fishing and great people . River is still high and running a bit fast and dirt . Checked the lines every 20 minutes to clean crap off them . These guys had never been on the Fraser in a boat , so did a little tour up the Stave as well . Had a picture of Ruskin Dam , but file is too big , oh well .

Think like a fish and you will do good!

I have fished them for 25 years, have had a blast! Takes time to know the river and then things come easy..... on a fresh water forum a few years ago, we had over 200 pages on sturgeon fishing....

It's a shame that thread died as the site has.
We could turn this thread into a Sturgeon report/information thread. It would be nice if it could be kept in one category (page) though.

Was happy to get out with my better half on Saturday and Sunday . Let her try and set the hooks on all the bites . Bit rusty on Saturday , many swing and misses but no hook ups. Yesterday not as mm any bites , but she did get a nice 6 footer that put up a great fight .IMG_20190728_205452_843.jpg

Saw a bit on the news this AM about an 11' plus untagged Sturgeon caught, tagged and released by a crew. Saw Rod Hsu talking about it and Sturgeon in general.

Heckuva fish and a lifetime thrill I'd imagine.

Take care.

I know lots on here focused on whites in the Fraser. What about the wanderers? the greens?

apologies, leaseman. Should have been a more detailed post:

Interested in what rivers have greens and where they spawn. Seems they wander up and down the coast quite a bit (sorta like ocean-type Chinook). I get sometimes reports of greens in other watersheds - wondering if they come-in poke around and exit - or have replicating populations in those watersheds. Not sure if much is actually known about them.

I have never seen a green in the Fraser if my memory is correct!
Definitely would have noticed them I think. Sure are a smaller size with their maturity only reaching 7'
There are many transient whites for sure. Fish tagged here are scanned in the Columbia and vice versa....fish are found in Alaska and tagged here.

A buddy who use to live year round in Bamfield use to tell me he would see the odd big sturgeon breach at the mouth on quite a few occasions.....

Got back yesterday from two days guided. We went 10 for 10 the first day and 6for 7 the second day.

16 fish only two under 5 feet. Most in the high fives and six plus range. We where lucky enough to get an 8’6” , a 7’9” and a 7’1” in the mix.

We released most at the side of the boat and only floated the 3 biggest ones to the waters edge for a few quick pics.
I found it incredible (almost overwhelming to be honest) that such an amazing and powerful creature would lay quietly and allow me to put my hands on it and occupy the same space .

This was my first ever sturgeon experience, and I just may have been spoiled a bit. It is amazing , exciting, Humbling and alot painful. ( for us chubby old guys anyway). Pretty sure it will not be my last time doing this.

I think it should be noted that I was absolutely impressed by the care and respect that our guide gave these fish while handling them. This is an amazing fishery and one that I would recommend to any avid angler. If you have thought about it, just do it

Ps: you may want to do some grip strength and upper body work first. These things pull HARD!!

Attachments

• 46AE6C49-C7CB-4B84-A7CC-32FC88D8AFCA.jpeg
    46AE6C49-C7CB-4B84-A7CC-32FC88D8AFCA.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 67
Any fish over 7' can make life interesting! Different attitudes on some fish too......

SO many stories, so many good times....how were your hands (grip) the next day? I find after a day of good fishing that I can't make a fist by the next morning due to a bit of swelling.

Welcome to the addiction!

Back