2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my week is over, fishing was a grind but fish to be ad, further west was good for me the only day i went that far. Today was the DAY,my friend Jackel came on board my boat and put on a show, dont think we made it 50 ft and we into a fish, and so on, finish with 11 hook up 3 in the boat to about 18lbs relase a few smaller ones in the 10-12lbs and lost a few dandy 20plus pounds at the boat,all fish were played by me except one,so my mentor for the day did what he does best, and got me on to really good fish.Cut plugs work like a hot cake when the jackel puts them down, best day i have all season, thank you my friend
That’s why he’s the cut plug master

Well my week is over, fishing was a grind but fish to be ad, further west was good for me the only day i went that far. Today was the DAY,my friend Jackel came on board my boat and put on a show, dont think we made it 50 ft and we into a fish, and so on, finish with 11 hook up 3 in the boat to about 18lbs relase a few smaller ones in the 10-12lbs and lost a few dandy 20plus pounds at the boat,all fish were played by me except one,so my mentor for the day did what he does best, and got me on to really good fish.Cut plugs work like a hot cake when the jackel puts them down, best day i have all season, thank you my friend
Awsome to hear! Good job guys, details do matter!! Lol!

Nice to finally meet you Brutus, Meet a few great people this week at the marina. Derby was a lot of fun and did manage to place 5th with only a 22lber , fishing was definitely a lot slower than a couple weeks ago . Ken

Nice to finally meet you Brutus, Meet a few great people this week at the marina. Derby was a lot of fun and did manage to place 5th with only a 22lber , fishing was definitely a lot slower than a couple weeks ago . Ken
Nice to meet you too, dont be a stranger you know where my camp is

You can’t say ‘grind’ and ‘best day all season’ in the same post. Lol

Same day my partner and I went to Walbran after trying East point and Camper...about 11:00 we worked the area off " Little Beach" and hooked into three nice chinook in the next hour...but we were trolling , not nearly as much fun as cut plugging!

606B0C61-F473-44AF-9061-AC0179A6034B.jpeg Just back from the week at Renfrew. It was scratchy Tuesday and Wednesday but yesterday we were at Logan by midday and got a couple. It looked fishy there so we went straight there this AM and had lines in by 7:15. We had a spring on before the second line was in the water and had 5 by 8 o clock. The 6th proved harder with a couple of long distance releases and a broken tail but we were done by 10. We ran out to 500 feet to look for coho as we trolled east back to the bay but nada. Once the wind came up at 11 we pulled the pin and headed in. The boys atEast Point had some today so it looks like a fresh batch of fish is around. I forgot my crab traps at our cabin so if anyone is coming back to Victoria and has room, you’d be a hero!

Last edited:
There are still a few fish around. It is a little slow but can still pick up a few, but with rain today and this week poof going to be gone. Fished Camper and East point. Got one around 10lbs there and one in teens by East point. Nice day out there, and great way to spend time with family.

One thing that is strange is no coho. Went far out and all over the place, and couldn't seem to find them.

salmon-renfrew3.jpg salmon-renfrew1.jpg salmon-renfrew2.jpg

Last edited:
Hows the coho looking for the derby? Anyone think they'll be around by then or will it be 100 boats looking to catch the one in the area lol.

Hows the coho looking for the derby? Anyone think they'll be around by then or will it be 100 boats looking to catch the one in the area lol.

I think this will turn out to be a bad coho year. We didn't find many in Port Hardy a month ago as we usually did in previous years. A buddy in Nootka was disappointed too when trying for hos there. I hope I am wrong but the signs are there...

Still early. We have major rain happening/big tides next few days, so that should light things up.
Last year the rain hit hard about the same time and the season was over, there was a few fish but it was slim picking, hope its not a rerun of last year. I love fall coho season, was going to go this weekend and the forecast was nasty so i wAit it out a bit

Last year the rain hit hard about the same time and the season was over, there was a few fish but it was slim picking, hope its not a rerun of last year. I love fall coho season, was going to go this weekend and the forecast was nasty so i wAit it out a bit

I agree doesn't look good this weekend at all.

On another note be careful if you have your boats up there especially on the river. My wife's family had one of their down riggers stolen last weekend. At the dock just in front of PRM.

I have not heard of any problems at Gateway Marina.
We don't stay long term like many do at the Renfrew Marina but leave all our gear in the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back