Custom smoking - lowermainland

marbledmurrelet

Hi All,

My son and I have 4 nice springs we kept over the last few weeks. In the past I have used Granville Island (no longer available)and Masa's/Yoshi in North Van (awesome) . We will use Masa again for lox.

What are the other lower mainland options for custom smoking of sport caught fish? What is out in the valley for options?

I would like to avoid St Jeans.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Tight lines!

MM

I can't answer your question, but I am curious why you want to avoid St. Jeans?

No real reason other than I have used for them years and would like a change... I have sent them some for the smoked and canned, family really likes it. I was just looking for options on candied and smoked on the mainland, variety is the spice of life...unless we are talking flasher colours, green...lol

MM

No real reason other than I have used for them years and would like a change... I have sent them some for the smoked and canned, family really likes it. I was just looking for options on candied and smoked on the mainland, variety is the spice of life...unless we are talking flasher colours, green...lol

MM
4 springs really isn't a lot to do. Smokers are cheap. Why not give it a shot!?

4 springs really isn't a lot to do. Smokers are cheap. Why not give it a shot!?
I definitely want to, but not this year... wife is currently 4 days over due with our 3rd.

I think I will hit up Masa's again, as time is not on my side here...lol ...answered my own question

btw way your fried chicken looks awesome, my wife and I had to go to LA Chicken in Richmond for a dose of the spicy after seeing your pics.
MM

I definitely want to, but not this year... wife is currently 4 days over due with our 3rd.

I think I will hit up Masa's again, as time is not on my side here...lol ...answered my own question

btw way your fried chicken looks awesome, my wife and I had to go to LA Chicken in Richmond for a dose of the spicy after seeing your pics.
MM
Thanks! LA is the second best for sure ;)

Break a leg with the new arrival!

Hi All,

My son and I have 4 nice springs we kept over the last few weeks. In the past I have used Granville Island (no longer available)and Masa's/Yoshi in North Van (awesome) . We will use Masa again for lox.

What are the other lower mainland options for custom smoking of sport caught fish? What is out in the valley for options?

I would like to avoid St Jeans.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Tight lines!

MM
Bruce's market in Maple Ridge does a really good job.

Do they do sport caught fish?
Haven't used them for a while (it's a bit far from Kitsilano) but they have done sport caught for ages; there was a time when their double smoked was fabulous but the recipe changed they made it drier somehow and it no longer appeals.

Note that Masa's is doing double smoked these days it's a bit heavier kind of Lox-quite tasty.

I’ve used both Masa’s and Bruce’s market and hands down, Masa’s quality is the best. Double smoked and Candied are super tasty. Our favourite for X-mas parties with friends and family.

I opened a bag of freezer packed chinook last night, packed by Masa's at the end of August. Frozen for 3 months in my fridge freezer. Unfortunately the whole thing is freezer burnt! I compared the thickness of their bag with that of Campbell River seafoods, and Masa's seems thinner. Anyone have a problem with freezer packed (non-smoked) salmon from Masa's going bad early?

I still have freezer packs of smoked salmon from them which are doing fine, but being smoked means they'll last longer.

My guess is there was a micro hole and it was not sealed properly. That's the only way I can see that happening.

I also would not keep any fish in a fridge freezer for a long period of time.

Sockeye done by Masa's August 2018 just opened yesterday-still prime product.

IMGP0159.jpg

Back