2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished North Arm on Saturday and Sunday and hit our spring limits. We had 12 hookups, bagged 5 fish (13 lb to 15 lb weight range) in 1 hour on Saturday in 150 ft to 250 ft of water. Unbelievable action, never seen anything like that. Every time we dropped the line we would hook into fish. I bet my buddy if we used dew worms we could have hooked up that morning.

On Sunday, we bagged our 4 spring but we had to find the fish, mostly in deeper water (300 to 400 ft) and hooked into 3 pinks and 1 wild coho (released). Pinks are slowly coming in now. Fish were 13 lb, 17 lb, 18 lb, 19 lb, 20 lb (these were the biggest in this bunch we've caught to date).

Got a report from a buddy that the pinks are coming in strong today, winds are ~8 knots this morning at the NA.

Anyone out today? Coming out at 1:30pm, trying to hit the slack and flood. Will either fish N. Arm or run down to Sandheads.

Fished North Arm on Saturday and Sunday and hit our spring limits. We had 12 hookups, bagged 5 fish (13 lb to 15 lb weight range) in 1 hour on Saturday in 150 ft to 250 ft of water. Unbelievable action, never seen anything like that. Every time we dropped the line we would hook into fish. I bet my buddy if we used dew worms we could have hooked up that morning.

On Sunday, we bagged our 4 spring but we had to find the fish, mostly in deeper water (300 to 400 ft) and hooked into 3 pinks and 1 wild coho (released). Pinks are slowly coming in now. Fish were 13 lb, 17 lb, 18 lb, 19 lb, 20 lb (these were the biggest in this bunch we've caught to date).

Got a report from a buddy that the pinks are coming in strong today, winds are ~8 knots this morning at the NA.
What kind of boat do you have to bring out 5 guys?! Even in my 30 we limit it to 4 guys so we're not on top of each other.

I was very disappointed to keep reading and discover that you didn’t try the dew worms on the Sunday...

Another beauty of having this much fish around us is that if there is time, we can experiment with all kinds of fishing technics without having to worry about missing a fish. One thing I did after I got my limit, I tried different ways of fishing that I never tried before. some worked and some didn't. Released the fish and tried more.

Was out Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sun - was just fishing the bite from low to high shift each day. I found the 3.5" coyote silver and green with black spots spoon was killing them and out fishing the anchovies. Just because the spoon was picking up springs and pinks. Sunday currents and winds had us trolling E/W, so from 150 to 400 and back. 50 feet on both lines, hit the water at 3pm and non stop action until we left at 6:30/7. But ran into engine trouble Sunday night, couldn't start the 90HP battery issue (learn the hard way alternator isnt working). Had to run the boat into Steveson on the 6HP and leave it at the public. Also got pushed into the break water while I was trying to pull start the 90 HP. So wont be back out now for a while, have some fiberglass work to do on the keel. Thank you to the couple that stopped and took my buddy into Wellington to get the trailer. Boot is recovered now at 7:30am, from No2 road launch. Upside wife told me to sell my old boat and buy a newer better one. Not sure if she will let me refinance the mortgage the one I have in mind though.

Just got our 3rd at sandheads, had lines in at 2:30, good bite came on at the end. Nice little 2.5hr afternoon shift. All at 61’ on chovies. Only had to shake off one pink which was a treat.

Attachments

• 7393B539-43D3-4A0E-BEAF-07776DF2190A.png
    7393B539-43D3-4A0E-BEAF-07776DF2190A.png
    936.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Quick limits today but only one spring couldn't keep pinks off anything

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190819-190418_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190819-190418_Instagram.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 107
Out from 10 to 4 today and steady action every half hour on everything for pinks but not one spring. Released pinks hoping to get two springs eventually but nothing. Had to take our limit in pinks. Two days ago we got our two springs in a half hour and couldn't find a pink for the life of us after that. Kept hooking more springs. Go figure.
Didn't see any big fish netted so definitely slower all around today for springs. Commies were out and coming in as we headed out so don't know if that affected it.
Heading out a little earlier tomorrow.

Out at the north arm today and lots of action. Several pinks to the boat and three in the net. Two chinook not in the net but a good fight. All on chovies and 35 - 75 '

DADECCE8-0D21-464E-B83D-3C12598EB44B.jpeg Fished T10, Monday, much slower then past couple weeks . Many Pinks now on hand, still was able to bring in one nice wild Coho, (released), and three good sized Springs. The largest Spring ,over 20 caught on a plug, mixed bag of approaches,also as we were looking to avoid Pinks. Herring and Chovies provided entertaining results. All in the 45-65’ zone at 200’. Bite stronger in early afternoon, considering we were out by 7:30am. Piscator signing out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back