2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was nothing like yesterday for us. Got out around 9 until 1. Only had one bite but managed to get it in, a nice 16 lb red. Didn't see nearly as many hookups on other boats either. Oh yeah, forgot to mention yesterday, did anyone else see the man overboard? I didn't see him fall in but I saw his buddies struggle to drag his waterlogged butt back into the boat. Then they all had a good laugh.

Today was nothing like yesterday for us. Got out around 9 until 1. Only had one bite but managed to get it in, a nice 16 lb red. Didn't see nearly as many hookups on other boats either. Oh yeah, forgot to mention yesterday, did anyone else see the man overboard? I didn't see him fall in but I saw his buddies struggle to drag his waterlogged butt back into the boat. Then they all had a good laugh.
Where were you fishing?

Left mac beach at 545 this am. Hoping to hit sand heads but it was a little too choppy for me with the forecast calling for more wind. Fished the north arm. First hour got a couple of pinks and a wild ho. Hit two springs in the second hour and called it a morning. 12 and a 15. Both red. 40' on the rigger. Anchovies as usual.

If you're looking for Coho English Bay beaches are being flooded with tens of thousands of juvenile Anchovies I just swam with one such 'event' they were literally coming out of the water even though they weren't being chased there just wasn't enough water for all of them.

I'd try something like this behind a Chartreuse flasher and golikehell.

IMGP0154.jpg

If you're looking for Coho English Bay beaches are being flooded with tens of thousands of juvenile Anchovies I just swam with one such 'event' they were literally coming out of the water even though they weren't being chased there just wasn't enough water for all of them.

I'd try something like this behind a Chartreuse flasher and golikehell.

IMGP0154.jpg
Any chance they were smelts? I haven't gone smelting in a couple years because the numbers haven't been there but it just opened this week and I'm itching to get some.

Started at T10 at about 6:30. Pink after pink for us. Went to Sandheads at about 8:30. More pink. Tried hoochie vs bait, more pinks. Tried herring aid skinny g spoon, and got a nice hatch ho for our efforts. (6 lbs on the eyeball scale). Coho was at 110 on the rigger. We progressively went out further and fished deeper till we left around 10:00. Reading the reports now, sounds like we had that backwards today. I’ll get em next time.

Took the kid out locally after fishing the QA and got a 13 lbs off of salmon rock 100'. took the anchovy on a 6' leader. fairly decent fight and it jumped and my kid was excited to catch his first fish on my boat.

oWLR3vl.jpg
Love how he is just hugging the thing... did he land it on that spinning rod in the background? Now that would be impressive!

Not Smelts-much too small.

I swim every day sometime twice a day and have seen ZIP for Smelts.
I feel like with the Herring and chovies coming back in numbers the smelts have disappeared. :(
I miss my summer tomato salads with fried smelts. One of my favorite seafood dishes.​

Love how he is just hugging the thing... did he land it on that spinning rod in the background? Now that would be impressive!

I should get a couple salmon specials with the mooching reels to make it easier for first timers. but he didnt fight it this time I knew we wouldnt get another chance and luckily the hook stuck just under the mouth.

Well it was my first time out locally this year after reading all of your crazy reports I've been drooling. Even when I was out at UKee a week ago I felt like I was missing out. So today was the last day of work. My uncle and aunt just got back from their week cruise to Alaska and back. I got home and things were backed up and we took off. Probably out on the water fishing just before 5:30 pm and started getting fish hits pretty fast, lost several and then landed a pink on a hoochie green and white at 70 feet. So suspect the rest of the light hitters were pinks. Then the anchovie kept getting hit but not hooked up until our first spring grabbed it in 315 fow, 60 feet on the wire. 14 pound red. Then trolled a bit more an uncle hooks a good one 21 pound red on white hoochie at 70 feet, and the other rod goes off on the chovie at 60 feet with a 12 pound white chinook. I have to say this is probably the first really white chinook we have ever caught. My aunt got that chinook and was her first salmon. It was also my uncles biggest chinook and biggest fish ever. So they were stoked. Lines back down and picked up another pink. Lost a few more. Then as the sun was sinking the white hoochie at 70 goes off with another spring that we sent on its merry way. Backed it in and back to the dock before dark. Saw an orca on the way back and a sealion swallowing a whole salmon. Great night.

Thanks for all the reports, I love them, keep them coming. So helpful. You guys make it easy for the guy like me who is working all the time to get on them. I was fishing just north of sandheads.

Was out Saturday and Sunday , limited on Springs and Pink on Saturday, limited on Spring with 6 Pink on Sunday .
Had no bait , all fish came on spoons and hoochies, 35 to 57 feet on the rigger . Fished 100 out to 400 feet didn't seem to matter . This was at Sandheads. Wife is turning into a pro at fighting these Springs . Happy wife , happy life

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_184044_471.jpg
    IMG_20190818_184044_471.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 93
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back