So.. Does fishing seem twice as good when you can only keep half as many?

Tips Up

So is fishing really on fire this year or does it seem twice as good with limit cut in half to one per day?

Fishing is on fire this year. Nothing to do with catch limits reduced. I think DFO knew what they were doing. They predicted a good year for chinooks and they were right and they limited us to them to show political face for the orcas and environmentalists. They definitely have done a good job at that.

I would say its one of the best years I can remember for chinooks in along time.

2015 was a good year and many were expecting this year to be much of the same. Then you limit sport fishing and troll fishing and there is about 100k+ more fish around this year (at this time) then typical as the area G and area F trolleres would of already caught most of their quota by now.

On top of that you add 6-3 months more of growth on these fish and size seems up too.

Its multifactorial but the restrictions IMO have played a part in it.

Define good. My definition is either never getting a second rod out, or every drop an immediate double header.

Define good. My definition is either never getting a second rod out, or every drop an immediate double header.

Yes then under your definition fishing in the mouth of the Fraser has been good. Look at the albion test fishery for the last few days shows why, There is a huge wall of Chinook out front the Fraser. Last 3 times over the last 10 days we were unable to get two rods down and it did not matter what lure was attached. Some guys played 20+ fish in an hour I choose to harvest my limit and leave. Not small too like the usual 12# lots of 17-30#, Big marbled fat and fat belly too.

The stock that out front is typically fished hard by all up and down the coast and makes up a big portion of the Area F troll Quota. This year the Fraser 4-1 (lower Shuswap) were not fished by most sectors in most areas.

I marked with an X all the fisheries that were close and not able to harvest them this year. JDF was closed for the first have of their migration window.

If you are not seeing great returns in Washington perhaps you should ask the Southeast Alaska Troll who's quota was upped this year.

upload_2019-8-15_8-41-27.png

Last edited:
I realy enjoy sight casting for salmon.This year I have seen many more fish jumping and rolling on the water .In places I haven't always seen them for that time of year.Could be I found some new haunts.but I think had I went to my regular locations I would see the simular surface action.I have been fishing ,but to date havn't landed and kept a salmon yet this year.Am I the right person ,with the right tools,and the right resourses this year ?i'm thinking ,I have done better

Personally
I am enjoying my Chinook fishing this year!
Not fishing as often, but the quality of the trips is better and the weather has been great when we have been out!
Nice to see so many fish and some a little bigger.

Fishing is better. Even I catch fish now!

If the limit was double, we would have taken double the fish home yesterday as we had “cookie cutter” 20 pounders all day.

There's no crowds way out. And the fish are there. No need to be within 500 yards of anyone this past three weeks.

Great if you've got a offshore boat. I'm is a 13' tinner.

Doesn't matter what the limit is. If there is a number, human nature makes us try to reach it. Same reasoning they put a limit on Elk Lake perch. If there is zero retention, then the pressures off, and angling can be enjoyed for what it is. Just one perspective.

So is fishing really on fire this year or does it seem twice as good with limit cut in half to one per day?

Interesting hypothesis. So if one were to accept the premise that the fishing seems twice as good with a reduction from 2 per day to 1 per day, does it follow that when it is cut from 1 to 0 per day, that it will seem 4 times as good?

Last edited:
Yes then under your definition fishing in the mouth of the Fraser has been good. Look at the albion test fishery for the last few days shows why, There is a huge wall of Chinook out front the Fraser. Last 3 times over the last 10 days we were unable to get two rods down and it did not matter what lure was attached. Some guys played 20+ fish in an hour I choose to harvest my limit and leave. Not small too like the usual 12# lots of 17-30#, Big marbled fat and fat belly too.

The stock that out front is typically fished hard by all up and down the coast and makes up a big portion of the Area F troll Quota. This year the Fraser 4-1 (lower Shuswap) were not fished by most sectors in most areas.

I marked with an X all the fisheries that were close and not able to harvest them this year. JDF was closed for the first have of their migration window.

If you are not seeing great returns in Washington perhaps you should ask the Southeast Alaska Troll who's quota was upped this year.

View attachment 47068

I have noticed this chart keeps popping up. As a JDF angler, what concerns me about it is that it covers an average of years through a period of years when we have faced ever ongoing, cumulative, stacked restrictions which I think may not reflect the current reality . What I would like to see is charts for each year, particularly for 2017, 2018 and soon 2019 with its massive new restrictions.

I have noticed this chart keeps popping up. As a JDF angler, what concerns me about it is that it covers an average of many years through a period of years when we have faced ever ongoing, cumulative, stacked restrictions which I think may distort the current reality . What I would like to see is charts for each years, particularly for 2017, 2018 and soon 2019 with its massive new restrictions.

I have not personally seen the data that you have asked for but from individuals I have talked to that have seen if for 2017 and 2018 it is vastly different.

I have not personally seen the data that you have asked for but from individuals I have talked to that have seen if for 2017 and 2018 it is vastly different.

Sooke/Vic in the JDF has very poor data ( sorry it is reality), but hopefully it will get better. That is big problem fortunately vs other areas. Hence why area gets the shaft regularly. A lot of that chart is based on CWT data which we know is also not very good over there.

If EVERYONE actually did DNA data like the Avid anglers in Georgia straight I think that chart would look much different.

Lots of work I believe underway on that, and hope too see more proper DNA data in that area soon.

Interesting hypothesis. So if one were to except the premise that the fishing seems twice as good with a reduction from 2 per day to 1 per day, does it follow that when it is cut from 1 to 0 per day, that it will seem 4 times as good?

yeah agreed...this whole thread concerns me...

anyways i’ve said it somewhere on here before but i’m experiencing easily the best fishing in 35 years here in CR. the whole 1 a day thing is debatable as people are just papering up their kids and nephews and nieces and their homeless neighbors etc.

yeah agreed...this whole thread concerns me...

anyways i’ve said it somewhere on here before but i’m experiencing easily the best fishing in 35 years here in CR. the whole 1 a day thing is debatable as people are just papering up their kids and nephews and nieces and their homeless neighbors etc.
I think some people will and do that any way!
I believe one of the reasons for our great fishing is closing the North Island Commercial fishery opening.
That won't happen without a delayed sports opening and reduced catch.

Back