Centre console boat Opinion

Bearded wonder

We are looking to upgrade out boat. Currently we have a Malibu 162. We live in Nanaimo. I love to fish but the family wants a boat that can pull them in a tube around the lake as well.
What are you guys thoughts on centre console boats like a campion explorer 492 cc or my wife saw a Boston whaler she liked.
Can’t go bigger than 17/18’ cause our suv can only tow 3500lbs.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Is your malibu open or closed bow?
Just get a ski pole?

I dont think the 492CC will give you an 'upgrade' in terms of family fun time.

Although I can see some benefit if your Malibu is closed bow to have the small bow and front of the console cooler seat for the family.

Is a ski pole an option with the 492? Towing from gunnel or transom cleats sucks.

I have a 16ft open bow Glastron. It came with a ski pylon. I added kicker mount, rigger and rod holders. And a GPS/Chirp/Downscan sounder.

Suits my family of 4 well. 5 or 6 gets a bit cramped.

90% of time it is used for big lake fishing with 2 or 3 aboard.

10% family fun.

Is your malibu open or closed bow?
Just get a ski pole?

I dont think the 492CC will give you an 'upgrade' in terms of family fun time.

Although I can see some benefit if your Malibu is closed bow to have the small bow and front of the console cooler seat for the family.

Is a ski pole an option with the 492? Towing from gunnel or transom cleats sucks.

I have a 16ft open bow Glastron. It came with a ski pylon. I added kicker mount, rigger and rod holders. And a GPS/Chirp/Downscan sounder.

Suits my family of 4 well. 5 or 6 gets a bit cramped.

90% of time it is used for big lake fishing with 2 or 3 aboard.

10% family fun.
Our Malibu is a closed bow with a tow pole. I Ocean fish off Nanaimo quite a bit but have to watch waves as it sits low in the water. Would like something that can handle the waves better.

I had a center console built and love it. Not for everyone but I find every inch of it useable.

Last edited:
For me, a CC is the best boat to fish out of. You can walk around it easily to play a fish, land a fish, drop and pull the anchor. Of course you need a T-top and curtains help in this part of the world. Dress in layers for the weather.
The last boat I had for 18 years was a CC and fished as far as 25 miles off the WCVI with it.
My 2 cents

I have a 17.5' aluminum (armstrong) center console with a removable t top, easily towed by my santa fe, also rated 3500 lbs., had a 90 zuke on it for years and now a 115 etec, the kids tubed and water skied and I am able to take it fishing offshore tofino, not pretty but very versatile. due to not much use over the past coupla years I will probably be selling it soon.

I asked a guy at Island West the same question. He a had a very nice older 23? Pursuit CC.
He said he loved it but wants to get curtains or/and enclosure for the t-top, because in certain conditions, the spray that gets thrown away from the boat gets blown back in by strong winds.

Loved my Campion Explorer 165 ( old badge ) but you will get wet, cold and sunburnt. It had a yummy 90 hp 4 stroke which was stern heavy; it didn’t have a great hole shot but that could hve been a prop thing. still a fishy platform and a fun little boat

I have a 17.5' aluminum (armstrong) center console with a removable t top, easily towed by my santa fe, also rated 3500 lbs., had a 90 zuke on it for years and now a 115 etec, the kids tubed and water skied and I am able to take it fishing offshore tofino, not pretty but very versatile. due to not much use over the past coupla years I will probably be selling it soon.
And I am looking for one..... if you could let me know if you decide to sell that would be great.

If you like being cold in the wind or scorched by the sun they're awesome...

It's one of those boats that looks cool and seems like a great idea, but in reality they are seriously lacking.

Most center consoles have 70% of their useable room in front of the console, yet 90% of the fishing happens behind the console.

Where do you lock your downriggers when at the marina? What about rods? Where do you put your large cooler?

IMO overrated style of boat...

i see what you’re saying and i agree with 90% of your post. a better day tripper you will not find.

Rum Buddies ... Well interestingly, our CC actually has better sun cover than our open deck on our last boat (where the fishing occurred). And 90% of our fishing happens up front (once a fish is on). So guess it really depends on who you are and how you choose to use the boat.

I also love the fact that the steering and controls are right there and when out by myself and can still operate the boat with a fish on (if need be). Our 12v cooler is incorporated under our front seat and I have replaced all the downrigger / pot puller ‘thumb screws’ with S.S. allens to make theft a bit more challenging. When not in use, the rods all get tucked into the side storage so they are out of sight. My reels go home with me to get rinsed off.

I haven’t seen the perfect boat yet, but for me, this gets close. Sorry you have had such a bad experience(s) with the CC style. Not saying it’s for everyone. Everyone uses their boat differently. The OP isn’t asking about deep sea fishing 20 miles off the coast. :)

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your thoughts. I totally get how you are more exposed to the elements with a centre console. Would definitely need to look to get a top for the family. As for me I would and have sat in a open tinny during a downpour just so I could fish

I love my CC, but have accepted that you need a hardtop in the PNW. I also had an enclosure made for it, and it's great. As one of the other posters said, it's all about how you use your boat. I couldn't be bothered dragging around a bed and cupboards every time I go out on my boat, but that's just me. I want a fair weather boat, and use it for fishing and cruising, no more tubing in my family.

I think if you asked this question again in December you would get a different answer.

Most center consuls sit in the driveway for 6 months of the year.

Back