Reeltime Smoked Salmon Recipe and Process on YouTube

Let us know how they turn out. They look so good.....

so did I see you taking the strip with the pin bones and cutting it up to put in the smoker? If so I assume you keep it in an area where is is recognizable

Ready for drying. That's a 16"x24" rack. Two whole hogs.

View attachment 47003
you beat me to it, that looks awesome, starting a batch this weekend

so did I see you taking the strip with the pin bones and cutting it up to put in the smoker? If so I assume you keep it in an area where is is recognizable
I keep it for fish and prawn stock for a delicious risotto

View attachment 47030
I can't do any more than 4 hours on the smoker. I start at 90 and bring it up to 160 over the 4 hours. I already feel like the thinner edges are drying out. I want it moist inside. What do you guys do?
I rarely smoke more than four hours as I like a really moist smoked salmon. Taste it, if you like it vac pack it and freeze it.

Great video, Reeltime! I’ve got a batch of hot smoked Chinook strips coming out of the brine this AM. I cut thinner, uniform strips about 4 “ long. I use a wet brine( 1 jug of teriyaki, 4 L of water, 2 lbs of brown sugar and 1 cup of salt with 5 big garlic cloves minced and 2 T of cayenne.) I leave the strips in for 12 hours but don’t rinse them off when I pull them. Once on my Bradley smoker racks, I put a fan on them to speed up the pellicle formation. When the strips are tacky but not quite dry, I sprinkle on cracked pepper, fresh chopped rosemary and crushed dried juniper berries. The tackiness helps the spices stick. When ready, I put the strips in the Bradley and start with low temps, gradually increasing to a max of 140. I only roll the smoke for an hour or so because the thinner strips can easily be overwhelmed with the smoke. I do use a version of your dry cure when I’m doing a batch of cold smoked. BTW-I use the same wetbrine recipe described above for pink or coho fillets that come out of the smoker and then get stuffed into pressure jars for canning.

View attachment 47030
I can't do any more than 4 hours on the smoker. I start at 90 and bring it up to 160 over the 4 hours. I already feel like the thinner edges are drying out. I want it moist inside. What do you guys do?

Nice colour those nuggets looks so tasty ... i go by feel and look , i've done 4 hour smokes when doing it during the day when it's warm out, cooks quicker, i try and smoke at night when temps
are cooler for a bit slower smokes.

i just pull it as it's ready, just don't pull it to early on the fast cooks as the inside moisture will be to high, done the
plug and unplug thing to keep it from cooking to fast lol always playing around...i'll air dry them in the fridge to firm up
a bit.

Last edited:
Great video, Reeltime! I’ve got a batch of hot smoked Chinook strips coming out of the brine this AM. I cut thinner, uniform strips about 4 “ long. I use a wet brine( 1 jug of teriyaki, 4 L of water, 2 lbs of brown sugar and 1 cup of salt with 5 big garlic cloves minced and 2 T of cayenne.) I leave the strips in for 12 hours but don’t rinse them off when I pull them. Once on my Bradley smoker racks, I put a fan on them to speed up the pellicle formation. When the strips are tacky but not quite dry, I sprinkle on cracked pepper, fresh chopped rosemary and crushed dried juniper berries. The tackiness helps the spices stick. When ready, I put the strips in the Bradley and start with low temps, gradually increasing to a max of 140. I only roll the smoke for an hour or so because the thinner strips can easily be overwhelmed with the smoke. I do use a version of your dry cure when I’m doing a batch of cold smoked. BTW-I use the same wetbrine recipe described above for pink or coho fillets that come out of the smoker and then get stuffed into pressure jars for canning.
Thanks! very nice , i've started to cut my smoke down also looking for the cleaner flavour, like you said overwhelming smoke flavour
after eat it for so many years the smoke seems to get more intense and sharp, down to one or half a pan, major flavour already
in a seasoned smoker

I just finished smoking 15 pinks. My god are they ever good. I just did the whole fillets and left all the belly and fins and bones and all that attached. Really rustic. So I did this same recipe only I didn't rinse them at all this time. I cracked black pepper on them before I started drying them and I really like how much better it permeated. This batch was a win regardless of how it looks :p
IMG-20190823-WA0004.jpeg

Back