Red spring vs white spring

If you close your eyes whites taste better lol but nothing beats an 18-30 troll caught red lol

I find winter feeder whites great but cap whites stinky. Could just be stage of life.

I have done a blindfold taste test and couldn't tell the difference. That said when eating BBQ fish I want it to be pinkish. Smoked, canned or anything else that changes the color I dont really think there is a difference

For eating reds it has a nice sweet and rich taste, for smoking i prefer the early marbled whites like right now, i look so
forward to this time of the year to getting some, the last few years now the whites are a family favourite when smoked
it's like cod like but with more oils so it becomes super tender... i'll trade local whites for reds

I find where you catch them makes a big difference - whether or not they are still silver - or have adjusted to the freshwater...

another interesting thing - speaking of smells (thanks for that Scott) - anyone notice that certain Chinook from certain areas smell - distinctly? a sharp smell like yellow cedar, perhaps?

I find where you catch them makes a big difference - whether or not they are still silver - or have adjusted to the freshwater...

another interesting thing - speaking of smells (thanks for that Scott) - anyone notice that certain Chinook from certain areas smell - distinctly? a sharp smell like yellow cedar, perhaps?

Not just Chinook :eek:

Once a herrison white is watermarked they get really stinky and table fair is not very good.

I spend a lot of time at the cleaning table scraping as much of the slime off any spring I catch.

That stuff is funky and less on the skin before you cook the better.

Didn’t always do that and it does make a difference.

Worth the extra 5 mins.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time at the cleaning table scraping as much of the slime of any spring I catch.

That stuff is funky and less on the skin before you cook the better.

Didn’t always do that and it does make a difference.

Worth the extra 5 mins.
Exactly. I hose them off three times on the boat before I leave for the cleaning table then twice more once I'm there lol.

I bonked a big September whitey at Sherringham one time. I served it up from the bbq to a large group in my backyard. My favourite was a lady who brought her plate over to the bbq and said “mines not cooked enough, the colour’s not right.” :D

I eat the whites and don’t find them offensive. Perhaps I don’t have a refined palate. :D

My wife did not like the white ones. We did a blindfolded taste test and she could not tell the difference and she is VERY picky. They do seem to freezer burn more quickly.

For me as a Vancouverite, the best eating fish of the year is a red Howe Sound winter spring caught with the snow capped mountains in the background and the worst is an ammonia scented Capilano white spring caught in a pack of 100 boats with a seal racing quickly behind the fish towards the boat. I used to keep the Cap springs for smoking but now the much better half won't allow me into the house with them.

Back