Could a Salmon from Patagonia be transplanted back to B.C. ??

John Ingram

Just a question for all ??? Would it be possible to re-introduce the Salmon that were sent to Patagonia in the early 1900
back to B.C. Have a look at what we could have if it is possible. https://australkings.com/

And on a fly to boot :eek: I believe the salmon originated from the Columbia the Fraser and other river in the pacific north west.

What would be the point I believe they are just columbia river genes. Those fish are huge for a lot of difference reason besides just the genes.

I know of one local creek where they have tried a lot of different brood, Once they tried harrison whites and got huge fish to come back like 40 pounders but the run ended up coming back was less than 100. Then they switched to a puget sound brood and a few thousand come back in the 10-20 pound range.

Last edited:
What would be the point I believe they are just columbia river genes. Those fish are huge for a lot of difference reason besides just the genes.

I know of one local creek where they have tried a lot of different brood, Once they tried harrison whites and got huge fish to come back like 40 pounders but the run ended up coming back was less than 100. Then they switched to a puget sound brood and a few thousand come back in the 10-20 pound range.

I would think that any and all ideas should be considered if there is a chance of reintoducing the old genetics back here

I would think that any and all ideas should be considered if there is a chance of reintoducing the old genetics back here

they are not really any different then the genes we have here expect that they have changed to suit their new environment that's friendly then ours to produce big fish.

My point is there is environmental factors at play.

The NGO fairies would loose it. Would never be allowed especially with the way things are going right now. I pondered this question for a few years now.

they are not really any different then the genes we have here expect that they have changed to suit their new environment that's friendly then ours to produce big fish.

My point is there is environmental factors at play.
Exactly. Environmental conditions are key. Chile has about 15 times the fish farm density as BC and yet they have huge chinooks.

What Chile doesn't have is Alaska releasing a billion pinks and treating the entire ocean like a giant fish farm..

Maybe if B.C. released 40 million Chinook they would eat the pink smolts and we’d have bigger Chinook.

Watching the film artifishal made me wonder. Are we putting to may fish into the ocean? Could it just be a matter of not enough feed out there?

Back