2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m getting ready to fish the Canadian side of swiftsure and may even give the beach another try this year I’m running daily from the Washington side seeing how our king season lasted a whopping 20 days before getting shut down! If it’s anything like the Washington side in early July should be a blood bath be out there August 3-11

I’m getting ready to fish the Canadian side of swiftsure and may even give the beach another try this year I’m running daily from the Washington side seeing how our king season lasted a whopping 20 days before getting shut down! If it’s anything like the Washington side in early July should be a blood bath be out there August 3-11
Make sure you have customs clearance!

Not anchoring or touching ground so no need for customs from what I been told only applies if you touch land
Yes that is the case now. It used to be that one had to call into get customs clearance (although most didn't). About 2 years ago, I was told by the Canadian Border Services Agency that they no longer require (nor wanted) calls from those just going across to fish and come back on the same day (as long as you don't anchor, touch land or linger near another boat). It's just as well since the people who answered the phone were in Toronto and I rarely encountered someone who knew what the Strait of Juan de Fuca was.

No Halibut fishing at Swiftsure without license bought in Canada - not on line. I did not know about the rule on calling in being changed. I tow my boat across on the ferry and to Port Renfrew.

No Halibut fishing at Swiftsure without license bought in Canada - not on line. I did not know about the rule on calling in being changed. I tow my boat across on the ferry and to Port Renfrew.
Actually you can purchase over the phone they email you the license and you print it! Independent Access Provider I guess it’s new this year

Halibut 121 Reminder Electronic licence restriction for non-residents: Only a Canadian resident may fish for halibut under an electronic licence in Areas 121, 23 and 123. Non-residents wishing to fish and retain halibut in Areas 121, 23 and 123, must obtain their licence from a licence vendor in Canada

This is from current regs. I was checked out at the bank and was told there was a fine for electronic license non citizens fishing for Halibut. This is to keep Neah Bay Charters off the Canadian side. They look at the vendor number on the License to show it was purchased in Canada. If things have changed, I am not aware of it. You can call DFO and ask. I am not trying to be a trouble maker just wanting you to not be fined.

Is everyone aware that area 20-1 (Port Renfrew to Bonilla) will retain the slot limit even after Aug. 1..ie can't keep a Spring over 80cm.
You will be allowed two Chinook a day, 2 day possession but nothing over about 14 pounds.

Is everyone aware that area 20-1 (Port Renfrew to Bonilla) will retain the slot limit even after Aug. 1..ie can't keep a Spring over 80cm.
You will be allowed two Chinook a day, 2 day possession but nothing over about 14 pounds.

Where did you hear this, have they posted it, other wise 2 a day any size starting August 1st. So fishing report for today, 9 fish to the boat, cut the lines, lost 2 and missed 5 others. There were a couple in the teens otherwise the rest were mid to high twenties except for a beaut 35 lber. I will say one thing for sure there are a lot of bigger fish this year and that is good to see.
Now do some of you remember a little story i told last year about my buddy cutting a guys line that hooked us up, well here we go again. Last fish i hit was the 35, great fight, had it on for about 8-10 minutes chasing it all over the place, when who do i see but the dipshit from last year. Yup you guessed it, the fish is making a strong run out deep, i am chasing it full throttle and yup again the dipper comes right for me, so i gun the boat right at him to keep him from running over the fish. When i am about 25 ft away, that same stunned look on his face as i yell to him i have a fish on and you are going right over it as he is letting his line down on the closest rod. I tell him to f*cking pay attention and he proceeds to start to go off on me. Well that didn't work in his favour, so seeing as this is a family site i will let you guess how the rest played out :D

Where did you hear this, have they posted it, other wise 2 a day any size starting August 1st. So fishing report for today, 9 fish to the boat, cut the lines, lost 2 and missed 5 others. There were a couple in the teens otherwise the rest were mid to high twenties except for a beaut 35 lber. I will say one thing for sure there are a lot of bigger fish this year and that is good to see.
Now do some of you remember a little story i told last year about my buddy cutting a guys line that hooked us up, well here we go again. Last fish i hit was the 35, great fight, had it on for about 8-10 minutes chasing it all over the place, when who do i see but the dipshit from last year. Yup you guessed it, the fish is making a strong run out deep, i am chasing it full throttle and yup again the dipper comes right for me, so i gun the boat right at him to keep him from running over the fish. When i am about 25 ft away, that same stunned look on his face as i yell to him i have a fish on and you are going right over it as he is letting his line down on the closest rod. I tell him to f*cking pay attention and he proceeds to start to go off on me. Well that didn't work in his favour, so seeing as this is a family site i will let you guess how the rest played out :D

Love your stories!
Got the bad news right from the horses mouth....or in the case of DFO from the asshole.
Phone them yourself and post what you find out.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...unless you find something different, this will cancel both our cabin and moorage reservations for 2 or 3 Renfrew trips this year. Sure hope I am wrong!
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Government office in British Columbia
Address: 4250 Commerce Cir, Victoria, BC V8Z 4M2

Phone: (250) 363-3252

I just called them and a lady said they had a meeting today and the 80 cm stands for after August 1st but they are getting some more input tomorrow and will see how that affects things but she thinks it will stand. That sucks!

Boy you sound delightful to fish around...

Great story!!!!!!!

Boy you sound delightful to fish around...
Unless you are retarded like the boat i mentioned i am fine to fish around, if you have no clue about what goes on around you do everyone a favor and stay on shore!!

So your chasing fish around at full throttle around YOUR ocean and everyone else has to get out of YOUR WAY. Control your fish man. I’ve been reading your stories on here for a few years now and I’m bloody tempted to go there for a fish. I’d like to see you get all butt bent with me,, once my friend,, once.

I can’t stand bullies,, never could.

Last edited:
So your chasing fish around at full throttle around YOUR ocean and everyone else has to get out of YOUR WAY. Control your fish man. I’ve been reading your stories on here for a few years now and I’m bloody tempted to go there for a fish. I’d like to see you get all butt bent with me,, once my friend,, once.

I can’t stand bullies,, never could.

Here let me explain something to you, the reason i am chasing my fish at full throttle is to stay on top of the fish the best i can when it is screaming out line, or maybe i could say do like you do, keep you boat in gear and travel away from the fish at 3mph and take up the whole area. I guess i could go to 40-50 lb test and also be sporting like yourself, but i fish with 20 lb line so horsing a fish would not be productive, it is called sportfishing for a reason. Port Renfrew is at the end of the rd on the West Coast, boat is the Heavy Hauler see you on the water highliner.
Now back to fishing and not baby sitting, Fogged in, you should rethink about coming out to fish in Renfrew. The fishing has been nothing short of amazing, lots of fish and bigger size than the last 8 years or so. The ocean conditons have improved so you can still enjoy catch and release, hoes and groundfish. I don't know if you have family but bring a few more along if you need more meat to feed the family.

I would of payed to see this lmao

How did the rest play out? I'd love to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back