2019 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greensea and Thurston areas are some of my favorite spots for mid-August. This year one will need to throw 3-4 guys on the boat to make that kind of run worthwhile, if they lift the 80 cm slot.

Always feels like a chance at a big fish up there. Also neat is the chance at a 5 species grand slam day, moreso in late August through mid September.

Still haven't totally figured out the tide timing and best tack for Chatham though, although based on reports and its obvious location seems like a great spot.

Would like to try up towards Hall Point/Denham Bay sometime.

I usually find anchovies 10-20 feet above bottom is the best bet for springs. Pink hootchies of various varieties in mid water for the other species.

Yes on the pink hootchies!

We were trolling sockeye gear at green seas , caught seven. Then caught a screamer of a spring on the same gear.
That was a hell of an opening day for sockeye!

Ah memories...

Greensea and Thurston areas are some of my favorite spots for mid-August. This year one will need to throw 3-4 guys on the boat to make that kind of run worthwhile, if they lift the 80 cm slot.

Always feels like a chance at a big fish up there. Also neat is the chance at a 5 species grand slam day, moreso in late August through mid September.

Still haven't totally figured out the tide timing and best tack for Chatham though, although based on reports and its obvious location seems like a great spot.

Would like to try up towards Hall Point/Denham Bay sometime.

I usually find anchovies 10-20 feet above bottom is the best bet for springs. Pink hootchies of various varieties in mid water for the other species.

the tack at chatham is weird. right rod to shore seems out the window there, and everyone but me seems to have gotten this memo. i think the extreme tide there renders right rod to shore useless on a flood as you would literally be going about 10mph SOG hugging the rocks. i usually hit thurston on an ebb and then chatham on flood, and try to stay out of everyone’s way as i clearly have no idea what the rules are there. i’ve been yelled at on the water exactly twice in my life and both time were from guides while fishing chatham pt.:rolleyes:

the tack at chatham is weird. right rod to shore seems out the window there, and everyone but me seems to have gotten this memo. i think the extreme tide there renders right rod to shore useless on a flood as you would literally be going about 10mph SOG hugging the rocks. i usually hit thurston on an ebb and then chatham on flood, and try to stay out of everyone’s way as i clearly have no idea what the rules are there. i’ve been yelled at on the water exactly twice in my life and both time were from guides while fishing chatham pt.:rolleyes:

Yes I hear you on that, I think the rule is basically the boat going into the current has the ROW as they are actually fishing, and the boats going down current (i.e. doing the Indy 500) just stay outside till they get to the end of the tack and start over. I was more so meaning the depth contour to follow/fish at Chatham; haven't quite got the hang of that yet. I also find it seems to almost always be just loaded with kelp and junk in there on the end of the flood.

I agree with Thurston/Davis Point on the ebb, Chatham or Green Sea on the flood.

Good morning everyone, I am about to head up to Campbell River for my annual holiday and would like to try fishing Grants Reef this year. I have never fished the reef and I was wondering how long of a boat ride is it from Salmon Point? I usually fish the Green can, Hump, and Kitty Coalman, but I would like to try Grant's. Thanks....

Good morning everyone, I am about to head up to Campbell River for my annual holiday and would like to try fishing Grants Reef this year. I have never fished the reef and I was wondering how long of a boat ride is it from Salmon Point? I usually fish the Green can, Hump, and Kitty Coalman, but I would like to try Grant's. Thanks....
I'd say about 23 km. from Salmon Point to Grant's.

This might be a dumb question, but you’d be right hand to the rocks trolling into the flood there, no? Or are you fishing with current - ie trolling 12 mph SOG ? Ive never fished area before.

This might be a dumb question, but you’d be right hand to the rocks trolling into the flood there, no? Or are you fishing with current - ie trolling 12 mph SOG ? Ive never fished area before.

yah on a flood tide fishing right rod to rocks going with the current it’s like a roller coaster ride. you are absolutely flying.

So......back to reports.......does anyone have any for green can/hump? thinking on heading out tonight....

fair enough sorry about that. been doing quite well at the hump. even on a flood. bait is thick off the hump. on the CR side
the biomass in our local waters right now is unlike anything i’ve seen in my almost 35 years fishing here..

fair enough sorry about that. been doing quite well at the hump. even on a flood. bait is thick off the hump. on the CR side
the biomass in our local waters right now is unlike anything i’ve seen in my almost 35 years fishing here..

I know, right? So, how do we get the data of this in the record?
The DFO warplane does not 'see' the biomass that our sounders show.
So freaking frustrating!

I know, right? So, how do we get the data of this in the record?
The DFO warplane does not 'see' the biomass that our sounders show.
So freaking frustrating!

just got back with three more. one right on 80cm and two not measured but around 12 lbs. we werent out even one hour. lost three to boot. we were in bait the entire time. my wife’s fish which was the 80cm fish was caught in 380’ of water with 360’ of wire out. i wasn’t watching what she was doing. she is determined to troll up another halibut. i don’t know how she did it but she did. i had to help keep it tight with my kicker.

still wondering where the salmon shortage is...

I did make it out for a couple of hours last nite. Fished green can area. Hooked 3 and landed.......zero, ouch. Was ok, i had some rookies on the rods. I seen very little bait.....hope my sounder is working. I was going to try jigging the shoal, but ran out of time. I only seen a couple jigging.....thats all i got!

Fished the green can last night first time on the east side this year.I forgot what a going show that tack is kept me on my toes. We managed to get 2 and lost 3 one to a DR cable. Army truck and blue meanie 240/260 of Dr cable out. Lots of bait coming up from the deep, the jiggers were also doing well

Jigging was good last night near the green can for springs in mid teens. Bait a bit deeper, often below 150', but thick at times. As for the green can itself (P61), it appears to have been removed Tuesday evening by the Coast Guard. No notices about it on the NOTMAR reports but did see that the Tyee Spit range lights are up to be removed by the Coast Guard. You have until Sep 27/19 to provide comment. https://www.notmar.gc.ca/publications/temp-pre/temp-pre-07-19-en.php

Fished between the red and green cans yesterday from 11:30 to 3:30pm, caught 3 springs all at 230 ft on white hoochie and watermelon spoon, lost 1 and released a chrome pink that we caught at 100 ft, beautiful day on the water after that storm on Thursday

Just started my holiday as I am up from Vic. Took my dad out to the green can last night and caught a nice 15.5 Lbs. Midway between the green can and Francisco Point 200’ down. Caught this guy on a no banana’s flash and spoon.

45A52148-42EA-4305-8661-756B313F6F66.jpeg picked up a pink, an 18,a 20, and my sons personal biggest a 25 this afternoon on the ebb drift in just over an hour. one red, and two marbled all on the white death hootchie; all ten feet from bottom.

had the pink for dinner; filleted and skinned, baked and presented like a big rollmop, layered with cream cheese of all things, garlic and fresh herbs, with a garden salad and grilled parmesan zucchini. most delightful and fresh.

I rarely if ever, post pics of my catch, but i have to say it is personally so satisfying spending time with my family and watching my wife and kids turning into extraordinary fishermen and women and catching the bug!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back