2019 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm headed up to Telegraph in a few weeks to do some work on my place. Gonna pull the boat up and do some crabbing and prawning while there. Anybody been out yet? Was thinking of pulling some gear around for salmon while letting the pots soak. Also, are there any clamming beaches farther out by Port Hardy? I thought that I saw somewhere on a thread that there was some razor clam digging out that way. We are usually up at TC in late July / early August so I have never looked into the clams.

Any body up there fishing yet? I’m bringing my mom, her boyfriend, my wife and boys up this weekend from Friday till Monday. Looks like we’ll be spending most our time looking for Hali’s and whales... wouldn’t mind trying for some coho if there’s some around?

Does anyone here have experience prawning on the central coast? Headed up to River's Inlet area later this week, and wondering if it's worth bringing them along.

Back from our trip to the cove. The weather was awesome for the whole trip! A little foggy in the mornings, a little bit of rain and a little bit of sun. But most importantly not a breath of wind the whole time! With the big tides this weekend ling cod fishing was to much work to even bother trying for more then an hour or two each day and we didn’t even try that much.. Salmon fishing we tried for one hour on the back side of Malcom island and only caught one under sized spring. I would say that the closers are definitely affecting this area as the camp ground was nearly empty and there was no other boats out trolling around Malcom island on any of the days...

We spent Most of our time on the hook looking for halibut and ended up being rewarded with 5, the biggest one being 93 cm. There was a few dog fish and a few rat fished mixed in to keep things interesting. Also missed a couple big takes and lost one big one that I hooked on the P cod that I pulled out of a halibuts stomach. Should have used bigger hooks when I put that thing down there, it was probably 14- 16 inches long and just falling apart as it went to the bottom!

Even got to see some breaching whales which was a first for my mom and her boyfriend.

The boys were both sad to be leaving and are already looking forward to the next trip as am I!

A539915C-5E4B-474C-A437-7731562B3FDA.jpeg
View from our rental.
BBBB4EF7-CE9B-4090-A777-6173642C0A00.jpeg 812174F8-1EAC-4DC1-AEA3-046FF662A32A.jpeg A5904935-C22E-4792-BFA4-7684FBEF7031.jpeg
Look at the stomach on that Hali! Probably didn’t need to eat that herring...
70A6497A-C7CF-4B76-B7E9-38157F1B86BD.jpeg 298FA716-286D-4087-B995-F837FF71EEBC.jpeg
P cod coming out to be used for bait.
6B2D8036-3E43-4CD5-B1B9-894D28C27781.jpeg
Good timing on this photo by my wife! Whale had breached about a minute before and then breached again for this photo and then just cruised along the surface for about 10 minutes before we took off.
86E0B826-9C9C-4EE4-A189-1F6F8F12E883.jpeg

Back from our trip to the cove. The weather was awesome for the whole trip! A little foggy in the mornings, a little bit of rain and a little bit of sun. But most importantly not a breath of wind the whole time! With the big tides this weekend ling cod fishing was to much work to even bother trying for more then an hour or two each day and we didn’t even try that much.. Salmon fishing we tried for one hour on the back side of Malcom island and only caught one under sized spring. I would say that the closers are definitely affecting this area as the camp ground was nearly empty and there was no other boats out trolling around Malcom island on any of the days...

We spent Most of our time on the hook looking for halibut and ended up being rewarded with 5, the biggest one being 93 cm. There was a few dog fish and a few rat fished mixed in to keep things interesting. Also missed a couple big takes and lost one big one that I hooked on the P cod that I pulled out of a halibuts stomach. Should have used bigger hooks when I put that thing down there, it was probably 14- 16 inches long and just falling apart as it went to the bottom!

Even got to see some breaching whales which was a first for my mom and her boyfriend.

The boys were both sad to be leaving and are already looking forward to the next trip as am I!

View attachment 46196
View from our rental.
View attachment 46195 View attachment 46194 View attachment 46193
Look at the stomach on that Hali! Probably didn’t need to eat that herring....
View attachment 46192 View attachment 46191
View attachment 46190
Good timing on this photo by my wife! Whale had breached about a minute before and then breached again for this photo and then just cruised along the surface for about 10 minutes before we took off.
View attachment 46189

Cool stuff EFG, awesome pics.

I was scouting out a few places near by and a lot of places are fully booked after July 15.

Great report and nice halibuts

View attachment 46196
View from our rental.
View attachment 46195 View attachment 46194 View attachment 46193
Look at the stomach on that Hali! Probably didn’t need to eat that herring...
View attachment 46192 View attachment 46191
View attachment 46190
View attachment 46189
We were admiring your Hourston the other day when we returned to the Cove

Gotta love TC in the Summer time. Love that view from the house on the bluff! Also love the view of the marina. Hard to beat it when the wind is calm and the sun is out. Bummer on the salmon fishing though. I know a few of the Dockside owners up there that have been catching an occasional Spring here and there, but it's not been hectic.

So, this is the first year in the last 12 that I won't be up on the Island fishing. Bummer! Oh well, there's always next Summer. Buddy of mine is up there right now. Today is their first day fishing. First fish of the trip, a 27 lbs. Spring. Wouldn't you know it! Had to release it, but said it swam off with lots of energy, so hopefully it lives to do it's thing. Good luck to all those out there on that beautiful water!

Hey Guy's
I am thinking about doing a boat trip up to this area mid August. I usually fish the area mid July, hows the fishing for springs mid August? I am thinking about boating from Vancouver to port McNiel I have always been curious about boating the narrows on the inside straight.

Capt

Hey Guy's
I am thinking about doing a boat trip up to this area mid August. I usually fish the area mid July, hows the fishing for springs mid August? I am thinking about boating from Vancouver to port McNiel I have always been curious about boating the narrows on the inside straight.

Capt

Watch out for wind against current....especially with a westerly.

With a strong west or nw wind, it gets really ugly....throw in an opposing current and it really stacks up.

I would definitely watch the winds and make sure we are traveling with the current. I have always trailed up there in the past but I think it would be a fun trip to take the boat and see the sights. Anyway the important question is the fishing, any good mid August?

Hi gang. Heading to TC tomorrow. May see some wind for first few days. Saw boats fishing off Lewis Point last year. Is all of area 12-19 closed to finfish or only a smaller portion near Nimpkish? Just want to know if we can round the point a little and fish towards Alder Bay direction.

Hi gang. Heading to TC tomorrow. May see some wind for first few days. Saw boats fishing off Lewis Point last year. Is all of area 12-19 closed to finfish or only a smaller portion near Nimpkish? Just want to know if we can round the point a little and fish towards Alder Bay direction.
Only the smaller portion.

Last edited:
I must be reading this wrong... it looks like the mouth of the nimpkish is closed for sure but the whole area? From ledge point to Lewis?
My apologies - I read the regs again. Only the area at the mouth of the Nimpkish closed now. Rest of 12-19 open until July 31

Last edited:
I fished TC for the past week for the first time on our own. Tight lipped folks in the area. We're use to taking our holidays and fishing Sooke which we've found to have a lot of helpful fellow fisherman especially with chatter over the radio making it easier to zone in on the Springs. It was obvious where the locations were by the number of boats but other than that we were on our own to figure it out. We did get some Coho and Pinks but no Springs. Didn't see lots coming in at the dock either except for I think it was Saturday which was an exceptional day for Springs. Also got halibut and ling cod which was a nice change from Sooke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back