2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again , I just posted what my friend text me . Not first Nations .
So 24 miles off shore , there is still a slot limit , just making sure if I text him back this info .
Thanks , as I never looked at the regs as never fish there
Yes. No Springs over 80 cm, why was he so far offshore to begin with when fishing has been great inshore and off the beach?

So they were 18 miles out , they did get the big ones in the legal water which is one mile and less off shore . Not sure why , not my boat. Their riggers were between 230 to 260 in 400 feet plus of water . White hoochies and smaller herring was the bait of choice . The fish they cleaned had big herring in them .

There is zero need to go offshore right now. just got back and was smashing them close to shore.easy limits. biggest 27 and lots in the low twenties. plus a 40 lb trolled hali and several nice lings.

Beano side of macquina or wash? Or somewhere else? Depth? Lures?

Enquiring minds want to know. One more sleep!!!!

Will be st Nootka rentals. Monitoring 69. “Bucktail baby” 20’ trophy

Thanks

Howard

It's amazing that so many people don't know or keep up with the regulations.

The other day I was at Crittter Cove and was walking by the fish cleaning station.

There was two people cleaning a bunch of fish so I stopped to congratulate them on the nice catch.

After chatting for a while they said they were in 270 feet of water and had non stop action catching 4 Springs and 4 Coho all wild.

Without being to much of a dick I informed them that all those fish were illegal and if the law caught them they could have lost the boat and all the gear.

I believe they just didn't know the rules but still wrong.

Mike

Just back from a 2 week stint at westview tahsis. Road last night was not bad but more washboard has developed over time. The one unpaved hill before Nesook dump road is really washboard. Fishing has been good to excellent. Outer black and green island have been very good. Some fish in at rosa but not a lot yet. Lots of coho around and some decent springs. White hootchy,s , turds, no Banana,s, coho killers have been good. Off-shore has been decent for hali's and on fire for salmon however DFO's blindside of an 80cm limit on chinook was a real shock. Be aware there is lots of enforcement-I was boarded twice which is 2 more times than I have been in 40 years. Good Luck

Thanks for all the good reports, greatly appreciate the information. I have been away from the west side for 21 years and looking forward to our trip back to Critter in August. I needed a break from the Bouy 10 madness on the Columbia, fantastic fishing but they call it "bumper boat fishing" for a reason. Just the wife and me this trip hoping to relax and enjoy fishing the beautiful Nootka Sound again. Being from Washington, I can sympathize with confusing regulations and enforcements. See you on the salt.

Fireball,
CCA member Washington

Two years ago we saw several large sharks 10+ miles off Espernza...Must have been salmon sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back