What's for dinner tonight ?

are the fiddleheads from a specific type of fern or are all ferns OK?

While there are a few varieties of ferns that will work, the Ostrich Fern is the best of the bunch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern

I don't know of any that grow wild here in BC. Maybe if someone else knows they can enlighten...

At one time I toyed with the idea of growing them, until The Missuz pointed out we would need a few acres to produce enough to make it worthwhile! Lol

I've always just bought them whenever I can find them.

Cheers,
Nog

While there are a few varieties of ferns that will work, the Ostrich Fern is the best of the bunch.

I don't know of any that grow wild here in BC. Maybe if someone else knows they can enlighten...

At one time I toyed with the idea of growing them, until The Missuz pointed out we would need a few acres to produce enough to make it worthwhile! Lol

Cheers,
Nog

They do grow wild in BC, used to pick them every spring as a kid in the northwest. I can’t say they aren’t on the island but my few half assed attempts haven’t yielded any of the right ones yet.

Marinated a whole lamb shoulder overnight:

xyZUCW1.jpg

Then cooked it to medium rare on the BarBee:

p5OgzF8.jpg

No pix of the finished product as it was consumed instantaneously!!

Cheers,
Nog

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for bringing it up, I did a little digging and it looks like I have a perfect spot in the yard to grow some ostrich ferns. Looks like we'll have a nice spring harvest in a year or 2. Seeds/spores are cheap on the interwebs.

Crapped the bed and forgot to take a pic.

Fresh from the Tofino waters yesterday did a nice lunch.

Crab risotto with other veggies and herbs tied into the risotto; a nice piece of fresh salmon on top drizzled with some sautéed grape tomatoes/oil/garlic. Add in a lovely bottle of Rose.....and Pipps is your uncle!! :p

All of that......AND I had 3 gals as my dates (only one of which I am romantically involved with....haha).......AND.....this was our view on North Chesterman's Beach.

Tofino.jpg

Last edited:
Crapped the bed and forgot to take a pic.

Fresh from the Tofino waters yesterday did a nice lunch.

Crab risotto with other veggies and herbs tied into the risotto; a nice piece of fresh salmon on top drizzled with some sautéed grape tomatoes/oil/garlic. Add in a lovely bottle of Rose.....and Pipps is your uncle!! :p

All of that......AND I had 3 gals as my dates (only one of which I am romantically involved with....haha).......AND.....this was our view on North Chesterman's Beach.

View attachment 45956

Nice Pipps, where two of the gals the palm twins :D:eek::rolleyes:

Back