2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the weather (wind) doesn't look good after today to get out there, jigging doesn't work well if you can't keep your line fairly upright and close to bottom.

Anybody that plans on going to the protest tomorrow (Monday 9:00am) be aware that there's a -.3 tide at 8:35am.

Went there after the protest on Monday,2 of us caught a dozen 6-15 lb.range in a few hours.Had a double header with twin 15 lbers at one point.

Last edited:
Should have copied you just two pin pops when I finally started to bottom bounce time to get jigging do you have a recommended type of rod? I have a selection of new jigs and Monday morning I changed the hooks to singles next time out I am definitely going to give it a try
Tight lines Tom

Went out by the yellow can yesterday looking for pinks...but couldn’t find any in a couple hours so we gave up.

We decided to do a pass on the waterfront just to see if anything is there...first 2 minutes of the first pass of the season...mid twenties chinook caught and released in the water. There is no shortage of Chinook out there! 3” herring spoon with no flasher tricked that one.

Anyone gone passed Constance looking for pinks yet? My kids want smoked salmon NOW!

Fished 10 mile to Constance and had a decent jig bite at Constance around 9am. Think I was 1 for 3. The 1 to the boat was better than 15lbs and hatchery. Released in the water.

Humpback whale (per experienced naturalist boat owner) cruised by in Baynes channel off 10 mile and a gray whale was hanging out on Constance until the Prince of Cetacean Molestation showed up and ran it off the bank.

received_670965586738239~2.jpeg

Attachments

• received_670965586738239~2.jpeg
    received_670965586738239~2.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 8
Fished 10 mile to Constance and had a decent jig bite at Constance around 9am. Think I was 1 for 3. The 1 to the boat was better than 15lbs and hatchery. Released in the water.

Humpback whale (per experienced naturalist boat owner) cruised by in Baynes channel off 10 mile and a gray whale was hanging out on Constance until the Prince of Cetacean Molestation showed up and ran it off the bank.

View attachment 46400
What a shame to have to release it for no reason. I tried jigging on the flats but I am still learning but had some excitement from a tommy cod and a dog fish. It sure was a beautiful morning

We took a friend's 10yr old out fishing for his first time yesterday. Launched at cattle point at 10:30. Caught and released 3 Chinook, kept one nice 68cm lingcod and got 7 nice crabs. A great day on the water and the kid wants to go out again. Mission accomplished.

We took a friend's 10yr old out fishing for his first time yesterday. Launched at cattle point at 10:30. Caught and released 3 Chinook, kept one nice 68cm lingcod and got 7 nice crabs. A great day on the water and the kid wants to go out again. Mission accomplished.
Just missed you at the ramp I came in about then maybe it was you who launched on the east side of the ramp next to the not too quick fella? I waved but it didn’t click that it was you.
Maybe we can fish together in August I certainly need a salmon refresher course

Went out this am trolled all around Albert head marked fish but couldn’t get a strike. Was heading back and decided to turn off the engines and drop our Hali gear. Both Dan & I have not caught a Hali but things were about to change. Soon after we dropped the commercial craber drops some traps near us and I think his trap sent will help us and then it happens on Dans newly restored 6 in Peetze reel with 2 way drag. 200 ft down the fight was on and the gear performed perfect and next thing we’re trying to figure how we gonna get it in the boat. With no shortage of excitement my rope shows it’s under 126cm so we gaff and bring the beast into the boat only to have it go nuts and send blood everywhere. A couple of odd things, I’ve never seen anyone fishing near where we were fishing for Hali ( no structure) then later at home we had a friend come show us how to cut it up and we were all gobsmacked at what was in its belly, Giant & normal size spot prawns, small crabs and a pine cone. I never thought those prawns were out there, side note we had herring for bait.

Attachments

• BA4374C8-FB50-487B-9416-BC74B04EEEC7.jpeg
    BA4374C8-FB50-487B-9416-BC74B04EEEC7.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 233
  • B6A9C782-C2D7-428F-AEB4-346854BF9583.jpeg
    B6A9C782-C2D7-428F-AEB4-346854BF9583.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 224
I think it’s just shadows but maybe someone else knows better. That one prawn that first popped out was 8-9 inch pic doesn’t do it justice.

Attachments

• 682FACCF-F71B-4049-A738-FA8FBCC242A1.png
    682FACCF-F71B-4049-A738-FA8FBCC242A1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
DDooohhhh,that explains it,in the first picture it looked like pigment color.Just way too many dogfish for me yesterday and a skate. Jigged for a bit yesterday in Oak Bay but when I saw blood coming from a 20lb.spring,I felt guilty,so gave it up,I'll wait till their OK to keep.I've never seen so many and quality salmon off Victoria in my many years fishing here.The whales should be fat and happy.

Last edited:
Uses up a bunch of octopus bait and then jigged out on the flats. Picked up several small lings, rockfish and a huge cabazon. Nothing too exciting. On the way in thought I'd try a spot just west of great chain island as there was a lot of birds. Before my jig hit bottom a fish on! Ended up being a scrappy mid teens spring. I kept running back up and drifting past the herring balls. In about an hour released to more teens springs and a bunch of small lings and coppers. The water was thick with herring scales. Too cool!
Crab traps were loaded to boot.IMG_20190728_130222467.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back