How old is the fuel in your boat

sir-vivor

With the fish closures and all, I have been using buddies boat in Bam and haven't touch mine.
My fuel was topped up on Oct last year (with additive) ....
HOW OLD IS YOURS !

Even with the restrictions, boating is still enjoyable. The tanks are full of fresh fuel. On Monday, I'll top them up again - maybe bring home a fish, too!

Any equipment or vehicles I own that are gonna sit for more than a month or so I put fuel stabilizer in. Longest I have gone approx without running then starting up again is about 6 months with the stabilizer and they started fine. I start and run a bit through before shutting down though to ensure it's through all the components. My boats though never go that long without running.

Diesels don't have to worry about near as much. Just started up a diesel truck the other day that literally sat for 7 years without running and fired up immediately with one shot of ether.

I've gone six months and felt a bit nervous about it. But I only use 94 Octane (no ethanol), and Seafoam in every tank as a stabilizer. If I had 87 octane, I would toss it or dilute it into a truck gas tank.

I've gone six months and felt a bit nervous about it. But I only use 94 Octane (no ethanol), and Seafoam in every tank as a stabilizer. If I had 87 octane, I would toss it or dilute it into a truck gas tank.
Yup same. I use 94 mostly but if I'm in a pinch and the gas station near me doesn't have the 94 then I'll get 91 but rarely. I try to keep my boats filled up so I never have to get marine lower grade fuel. The newer motors don't like it. Sometimes it's not possible though if fishing on the coast for multi day trips though. Then I'm stuck getting the lower grade stuff at marina's. If that's the case I try to burn that fuel off till almost empty then put new 94 in when back on dry land. Another reason I like trailering my boat rather than being stuck mooring full time in a marina..

Yes gas sucks now days it really does. Any fuel with the possibility of sitting more than a couple months needs a stabilizer added. When running low octane marine fuel don’t be scared to use an octane boost.

Yes gas sucks now days it really does. Any fuel with the possibility of sitting more than a couple months needs a stabilizer added. When running low octane marine fuel don’t be scared to use an octane boost.
I don't know about that. Personally I am very afraid to use octane boost. Have heard horror stories of blown up motors with using octane boost also have read that the companies have a hard time proving their products actually have any affect on boost of octane. And some of them apparently won't stay suspended in the fuel. Have read some good things about Boostane but even with that I don't want to bet my motors on it at the price they cost to replace. I'm even going as far as bringing along some 94 in gerry cans to mix with lower grade marina fuel at times if I have to to bring the octane up that way which IMO is a much safer way of doing so. My mechanic friend recently even said not to risk it with boosters yet and to call Mercury directly to ask them about it. Haven't done that yet as I don't have any extended off shore trips planned until September so for now I always have my tank full of 94. Early detonation with lower octane fuel is not something for me to take lightly. Scares the F out of me what it could do to the motors especially if used often.

I don't know about that. Personally I am very afraid to use octane boost. Have heard horror stories of blown up motors with using octane boost also have read that the companies have a hard time proving their products actually have any affect on boost of octane. And some of them apparently won't stay suspended in the fuel. Have read some good things about Boostane but even with that I don't want to bet my motors on it at the price they cost to replace. I'm even going as far as bringing along some 94 in gerry cans to mix with lower grade marina fuel at times if I have to to bring the octane up that way which IMO is a much safer way of doing so. My mechanic friend recently even said not to risk it with boosters yet and to call Mercury directly to ask them about it. Haven't done that yet as I don't have any extended off shore trips planned until September so for now I always have my tank full of 94. Early detonation with lower octane fuel is not something for me to take lightly. Scares the F out of me what it could do to the motors especially if used often.

Do you even know what octane is and what effect it has on fuel and or and engine.
Do some research, I don’t think it is what you think it is nor does it effect and engine as you suspect.

Do you even know what octane is and what effect it has on fuel and or and engine.
Do some research, I don’t think it is what you think it is nor does it effect and engine as you suspect.
You may have misinterpreted my comment or maybe I wasn't clear... Yes I know what octane is and yes I know what boosters do and yes I know why low octane fuel is bad for my motors which are manufactured to require high octane fuel. Low octane fuel will cause pre detonation, engine knock. This is what can ruin your motor. Not the boosters themselves. Where the problem arises is; where you think you raised the octane enough but in fact you may not have (if you do some research on the net, talk to mechanics, dyno testers, professionals etc..) that the majority of the boosters on the market not only don't have research and controlled tests to prove how much (if any with some of them) they raise the octane, but a lot of them don't even tell you how much to use for every point of grade of octane in the fuel. Some tests I have read about were a full 2 points off on what they said their calculated rates were. I have also read that a lot of them do not mix well and completely with the fuel and do not suspend in the fuel but rather separate and not fully mix.
Therefor for me it's not worth the risk to run fuel that may or may not burn at the right detonation point, causing knocking, engine damage and or complete failure. Why risk it if I don't have to. At $26K per engine x2 I think I'll pass on any of those risks. Especially if an insurer can prove you have used inadequate fuel in the engine you would be royally F'd if they did fail because of it.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/dont-knock-it/

Back