DFO Authority

Trophy21

Crew Member
what would or could be the ramifications of not allowing a DFO officer to board your boat? What if you told them you do not respect their authority and advise them to call the rcmp or **** off? A fine? If they don’t have probable cause to search?

Wow, do you really want to discover the answers through experience? As I said in another thread, even talking about this, especially in the context of defiance of the law as evidenced by your choice of language, sends the wrong message about recreational anglers.

They have a pretty broad range for the right to search.

If you have down riggers attached to your boat and even not engaged in fishing it’s enough.

As long as you have any type of fishing gear on your boat or even just a cooler it’s enough.

Sax is right if we have large out of compliance issues it will come back to haunt us. We already have a pretty high non compliance when it comes to using barbless hooks. I’m sure some groups probably tired to use that as reasoning to prevent us from having a slot fishery or C@R fishery.

what would or could be the ramifications of not allowing a DFO officer to board your boat? What if you told them you do not respect their authority and advise them to call the rcmp or **** off? A fine? If they don’t have probable cause to search?
Really in todays Canada??? Do they not have the same authority as an RCMP officer? Conservation officers do. Law abiding citizens are treated worse than rapists, murderers and criminals. Becoming a criminal may still not be the answer. Just my thoughts. The way I see things the ONLY possible way/stoppage out of this mess comes in Oct. Or pick another place (country) to live that treats outdoorspeople as normal.

HM

HM, you say “Law abiding citizens are treated worse than rapists, murderers and criminals.”

Seriously? Come on, that doesn’t even make sense.

Wow, do you really want to discover the answers through experience? As I said in another thread, even talking about this, especially in the context of defiance of the law as evidenced by your choice of language, sends the wrong message about recreational anglers.
But a reasonable amount of Civil Disobedience can be very effective. Key word is reasonable! Cooler heads need to prevail.

I will have to agree with sax and I shouldn’t post these thoughts. Not because I agree with sax at all on his stance but that FN will use these posts against our fishery. Sad state we find ourselves in.

HM, you say “Law abiding citizens are treated worse than rapists, murderers and criminals.”

Seriously? Come on, that doesn’t even make sense.
Vent I must, or clarify. Currently and or recently in last 4 years. Has pendulum and treatment swung away from law abiding citizens? Do all law abiding citizens of Victoria, BC or Canada have a doctor? access to doctor? How about medical costs? How about free medications? How about the choice of 3 meals per day? How about free education? Every convicted criminal in BC/Canada DOES. As a law abiding gun owner the new bill C71 will allow the RCMP to arbitrarily outlaw my private ownership of whatever they say is illegal, with confiscation without payment, included was no avenue to argue or dispute. Yet he makes the laws and ability for criminals to possess, get and use guns easier with less consequences. Trudeau disposed of the tuff on criminals legislation with extra penalties for gun committed crimes. He also paid $10 million to those murderers and terrorists who I spent months out of Canada HUNTING. What about his SNC Lavalin issue, how did the law abiders fare as compared to the law breakers? How about Admiral Norman. On and on supports my opinion. This makes perfect sense to any one who understands. After all this how do you feel as a law abiding sport fisher vs the poachers who are caught regularly? Open eyes please and it will become VERY clear. I say again legal Canadians have LESS rights than criminals under current Trudeau Gov. Give him another 4 years and he will strengthen and prove me correct.

As for op, retaliation or disobedience to the front line workers is not the correct action in my opinion.

HM

People are venting let them vent

They vent at their peril. Sit down and vent orally with like minded buddies. But documenting this venting, either by writing emotional and profane letters to government officials or even posting on this publicly accessible forum, seriously risks your cause.

Yes an officer has and can make your day a bad one BUT it's a whole new ball game in front of a bench sitting Judge. I had several years experience dealing with court proceedings , defendants , lawyers from small claims to the queens bench and ALWAYS ALWAYS what seemed like a slam dunk....WASN'T ! Judges 99% of the time give a wide berth to defendants THE FIRST time but don't make it a repeat event. I for one wouldn't worry if a DFO officer decided to throw the book at me because just maybe a sympathetic judge may rule in a sporfishermans view.....I dont recommend this to anyone but for me hmmmm I got the time lol (PS In regards to a fishing infraction only, nothing else, because a guy has to be an absolute idiot to try anything else and should be locked up .....)

Last edited:
There was 3 enforcement guys at Telegraph last week and the young rookie was walking around with his chest puffed out bragging that they have more power than the RCMP

In all my years in bush and on water I have never had a bad experience with a DFO or Conservation Officer. Polite, answer questions and no problem. Cannot say same for RCMP, in my eyes they equal, the worst of the worst, and I have a specific case that in no way reflects Stormtroopers statement above but only concerning interactions with RCMP. In my case an RCMP broke the law enforcing "his law", and yes it did matter, guilty until proven innocent. My case got me weeks of stress and him a letter and slap on wrist by superior but butt would never apologize.

HM

I don’t know, I can see trophy 21’s original point as in the current situation sure has a lot of us not having much respect for DFO. It sure has had me thinking screw DFO and these political regs. That being said I am a law abiding citizen and follow all the rules and I don’t feel it’s the officers on the ground at fault here. I mean it sure doesn’t seem right that illegal netting on the river hasn’t been taken care of. At what point do you stop fighting for your rights the environmental groups, First Nations they stand up for what they believe in sometimes by disobedience and it seems to work. That being said I’ll be going out in the next few days catching what is legally allowed and being polite if approached by an officer. Just venting My frustration with the new dfo/First Nations decision making

Well apparently the minister based his closures based on pressures from some of the Fraser bands to close the public fishery, so it’s s bit more complex then just DFO. I shouldn’t make the comments regarding illegal netting, I just moored in the Fraser for a time and would often pass by nets filled with rotting salmon so I see netting as very destructive and disappointing way the catch salmon

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...threatened-by-fraser-river-rock-slide-experts

Maybe ask him for the paperwork it really is REAL

"Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, said his group fully supports a call from the Fraser Salmon Management Council to immediately stop all recreational and commercial Fraser River salmon fisheries."

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files...kRzqXybnPFpgXHEc_n3H6GDgXBaBwHrWVhBIT5rgHKdAw

The Fraser Salmon Management Board
• Equal number of representatives appointed by FSMC and DFO (four each).
• Purpose is to work on a government-to government, nation-to-nation basis to make consensus decisions and recommendations to the Parties on the collaborative governance and management of Fraser Salmon at the Migratory Route Scale.

I don’t know, I can see trophy 21’s original point as in the current situation sure has a lot of us not having much respect for DFO. It sure has had me thinking screw DFO and these political regs. That being said I am a law abiding citizen and follow all the rules and I don’t feel it’s the officers on the ground at fault here. I mean it sure doesn’t seem right that illegal netting on the river hasn’t been taken care of. At what point do you stop fighting for your rights the environmental groups, First Nations they stand up for what they believe in sometimes by disobedience and it seems to work. That being said I’ll be going out in the next few days catching what is legally allowed and being polite if approached by an officer. Just venting My frustration with the new dfo/First Nations decision making
https://vancouversun.com/news/local...threatened-by-fraser-river-rock-slide-experts

Maybe ask him for the paperwork it really is REAL

"Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, said his group fully supports a call from the Fraser Salmon Management Council to immediately stop all recreational and commercial Fraser River salmon fisheries."

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/2019 Mar 13 - FSMC Fraser Salmon Management Agreement Presentation.pdf?fbclid=IwAR16Le_tGYobSjkRzqXybnPFpgXHEc_n3H6GDgXBaBwHrWVhBIT5rgHKdAw

The Fraser Salmon Management Board
• Equal number of representatives appointed by FSMC and DFO (four each).
• Purpose is to work on a government-to government, nation-to-nation basis to make consensus decisions and recommendations to the Parties on the collaborative governance and management of Fraser Salmon at the Migratory Route Scale.
what “nation” is DFO representing?

Back