2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply, I am aware of the "usual" size and timing of the runs. That said there were some huge pinks a couple of years ago and there have been mixed reports for Pinks and Coho this year. I fully plan on doing my own fishing, but due to these stupid closures, I have not actually been out fishing, so therefore no personal intel. I ask these questions not for people to divulge their secrets to me, but merely to enhance my level of STOKE and ANTICIPATION to be back on the water doing what I love to do. This is a fishing reports forum, no? It would be nice to know if there is any credence to the rumors, because I like to dream about my up comming trips almost as much as actually going on them.
Does anyone have any actual reports to help my up my anticipation meter before I go?
I know someone that was there last week and was pretty disappointed. They got 3 salmon in 3 days with a guide and then the guide poached a bunch of halibut besides their possession limit of chickens

I know someone that was there last week and was pretty disappointed. They got 3 salmon in 3 days with a guide and then the guide poached a bunch of halibut besides their possession limit of chickens

Ouch! that's a bit of a grind, were the salmon on the beach or out at the bank?
Poaching helps no one. Did they report the guide?

A couple years ago I heard first hand of a guide in Renfrew keeping oversize halibut for his guests. He cleaned it on board and hid it away. You would think he would have more respect for his industry.

A couple years ago I heard first hand of a guide in Renfrew keeping oversize halibut for his guests. He cleaned it on board and hid it away. You would think he would have more respect for his industry.
There’s a couple where I fish out of that do that too.
That’s what happens when there’s not enough enforcement effort

Who is planning to fish Chinook at Renfrew next week?
Some will no doubt be temped to put a couple 20 pounders under the seat and take their chances.
Not us, we cancelled our plans for all of July at Renfrew.

I was looking forward to going with my boat for the first time and enjoy the Kin derby but its a large expense for me being on disability and to only catch an 80 cm spring its not economical for me to travel there. My daughter was looking forward to the camping trip and getting to catch some big fish. Truly saddened about the whole thing.

Want to make sure you go after the right boat?? :p
The Jackel said:
I will see you Monday, what boat are you in
:rolleyes:

I'm the old guy with the beard.
We have been Fishing Renfrew from time to time since about 1970
Regularly since about 2000.
Starting cut plugging with my dad in Cowichan Bay around 1960.
Give you a little info on me.
Fished since I was a wee little guy with my dad. Very few areas on VI I have not fished.
Head Guide at Painters Lodge back then, asked if I would guide for him.
He said we were the first cut plugger to fish the area ever.
When did you learn to cut plug..or power mooching as we called it.
Back them the guys would just drift in Cowichan Bay.
I hear you are pretty good at it

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of the "usual" size and timing of the runs. That said there were some huge pinks a couple of years ago and there have been mixed reports for Pinks and Coho this year. I fully plan on doing my own fishing, but due to these stupid closures, I have not actually been out fishing, so therefore no personal intel. I ask these questions not for people to divulge their secrets to me, but merely to enhance my level of STOKE and ANTICIPATION to be back on the water doing what I love to do. This is a fishing reports forum, no? It would be nice to know if there is any credence to the rumors, because I like to dream about my up comming trips almost as much as actually going on them.
Does anyone have any actual reports to help my up my anticipation meter before I go?

I don’t, except for Bamfield which has been producing nice fish.
There are some recent previous posts that say springs from Camper to Logan!
Chase pinks and coho straight out and a bit west from camper or Logan
Tide lines and search in the 450 to 650 foot zones.

Or find the Jackel and dog him. Where a black hockey helmet with a red dot !!

Good luck.

I was looking forward to going with my boat for the first time and enjoy the Kin derby but its a large expense for me being on disability and to only catch an 80 cm spring its not economical for me to travel there. My daughter was looking forward to the camping trip and getting to catch some big fish. Truly saddened about the whole thing.
I am not up on slot limit for Rennie, what is the deal??

Thanks

So whats the deal with the new slot limit now?? Could not find anything as far as what and where

Announced 18 hrs ago, entire coast, 80cm slot.

A show by DFO apparently to protect Chinook affected by the slide??!!

Wilky behaves like a toddler with poo in his diaper, but won’t tell anyone.

I thought it only applied to the areas that were previously closed and that were supposed to open on July 15th? Aren't the existing open areas past Bonilla still open like before?

The Jackel said:
I will see you Monday, what boat are you in
:rolleyes:

I'm the old guy with the beard.
We have been Fishing Renfrew from time to time since about 1970
Regularly since about 2000.
Starting cut plugging with my dad in Cowichan Bay around 1960.
Give you a little info on me.
Fished since I was a wee little guy with my dad. Very few areas on VI I have not fished.
Head Guide at Painters Lodge back then, asked if I would guide for him.
He said we were the first cut plugger to fish the area ever.
When did you learn to cut plug..or power mooching as we called it.
Back them the guys would just drift in Cowichan Bay.
I hear you are pretty good at it
Old guy with a beard, well we could be twins. First started motor mooching in active pass with live bait, now that was a blast. I have good days and bad days just like everyone else, but i must admit i love the challenge of mooching as it is just a piece of bait and how you cut it and hook it up is all on you, no flash and dash like fishing hardware, but to each his own. Good luck when you come out. Just watch out for Kingspring he likes to run guys up on the reefs for ***** and giggles :rolleyes:

Old guy with a beard, well we could be twins. First started motor mooching in active pass with live bait, now that was a blast. I have good days and bad days just like everyone else, but i must admit i love the challenge of mooching as it is just a piece of bait and how you cut it and hook it up is all on you, no flash and dash like fishing hardware, but to each his own. Good luck when you come out. Just watch out for Kingspring he likes to run guys up on the reefs for ***** and giggles :rolleyes:
Look like all the big fish you catch are going to have to be release, people fishing beside you are going to duck for cover lead will be flying lol

Who doesn't? :D
Ha ha,
Nothing like squeezing down the real estate .

It’s a cagey process in my little tinner. Will miss opening day, will be protesting at Ogden. Crap I remember the kids derby at Ogden a few moons back. Good times.
Thinking I’ll don my Gerry Cheevers mask too for close in work with the Jackel, might even pass a beer his way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back