Slot limit announced....

Question....

Are there any Fraser Chinook stocks (including those that are not “stocks of concern”) that:

A) spawn above the big bar slide (ie above the Thompson)

AND

B) enter the river after August 1st.

Yes
And yes

However the vast majority of fish August on are destined for the Thompson and its tributaries as well as our lower Fraser wild.and hatchery Harrison stock.

If these fish are of such a big concern because of this slide, wouldn't it be fairly easy to send in experts or the military to just blow the slide. We blew up Ripple rock in 1958 and that involved tunneling, I'm sure this is a way easier job then that was. I know this slide is just a ******** excuse for these reductions.

Last edited:
Saxpoint put up or shut up, hope i didn't hurt your poor ego, tell us all what you have done to help the situation, oh and by the way i was an environmental consultant for 30 years and every decision made was based on sound science and not ********!!!

We bloody well better. That is likely the ONLY shot we are going to get this year.
The repercussions have been drastic for many, including myself.
They pull the plug on this one, I may just go Total Pirate.

Nog
If nobody complies they can't catch us all. When fish cops start charging people we should supply them with legal counsel and fight this thing to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Saxpoint put up or shut up, hope i didn't hurt your poor ego, tell us all what you have done to help the situation, oh and by the way i was an environmental consultant for 30 years and every decision made was based on sound science and not ********!!!

You missed the point. Profane, emotional letters and talk about ignoring the laws don’t help the situation, but in fact hinder it. It’s not rational and leads to people drawing the wrong kinds of conclusions about sports fishers. None of this is about anyone’s ego. With your experience and commitment to science, you should run for office. Then you’ll have the mandate to make the “right” decisions. Expletives followed by exclamation marks involve venting rather than solving problems. I’m sure you appreciate that.

I have three questions.

#1- was the SFAB consulted before this regulation was announced?

#-2 who is the dumb **** that came up with this max size slot idea? Now we are pinned to retaining fish that fit into a 18cm window. Between 62&80 cm. Wow !

#-3 what other options where on the table?

Eagerly awaiting the answers. Anyone???

Ps. I said long ago wen the April non retention first started being talked about. “This is starting to smell like Halibut “

Holy crap!

Let me try:

1- No. according to “the Honourable”, the most important group to consult, is the Fraser FN bands, especially those who have bigger influence on the pipeline approval process. SFAB doesn’t bring more votes so no need to talk to them.

2- Grand Chief Steward Philip and his newly promoted “scientists” working on DFO’s behalf.

3- completely shutting down ocean fishing. Still a very possible option for next season if Justin wins another majority in October. That would make the ENGOs and their sponsoring corporations happy too. Even more votes from the SRKW worriers.

This isn’t the time to ask questions b/c the feds won’t bother with listening let alone having a reasonable answer. Justin and co are desperately trying to close the pipeline deal by end of summer. He was in Calgary this morning serving pancakes. The Honourable is just another puppet in the show and knows dick about what his department is doing.

Last edited:
I have three questions.

#-2 who is the dumb **** that came up with this max size slot idea? Now we are pinned to retaining fish that fit into a 18cm window. Between 62&80 cm. Wow !

Ps. I said long ago wen the April non retention first started being talked about. “This is starting to smell like Halibut “

Holy crap!

LOL... I guess DFO could have just keep it closed......................

Last edited:
I have three questions.

Holy crap!
Why don't you call the Minister?

Crap, we pay their wages and we pay for the hatchery salmon. Seem's only fair we get to keep what we payed for.

Ok I will weigh in. The rock slide looks bad but I did not attend any briefing on it. I would have to assume it is serious based on what a heard.

Next you guys can rotate :rolleyes: if you think it is SFAB fault. So stuff it if you are going there. I didn't even know about as it moved that fast.

Next. I could tolerate the wild limit briefly for a few weeks based on situation, but in principal having slot put on hatchery fish I think is ridiculous. It shows zero credibility on the ministers part.

Lastly there isn't any data on saving hatchery fish that justifies it at all. So I smell just as much NGO involvement there than FN. I think we know who, and where this is coming from.

This season is a mess. Never have a seen this amount of bad luck.

Last edited:
So the spring 5-2’s have long made it past the slide before it happened and the only other concerns would be the 5-2 summers which will likely be strong enough to pass this challenging water. The rest don’t go as far north of the slide...is this slide a crappy situation, yes of course and concerns for sockeye are probably warranted (I am no expert)...I just can’t wrap my head around any science that would drive the shut down other than the political agendas at play. No marked select fishery is asinine.

o

Are there even any hatcheries above the slides? If so are there any that seed chinook? Not that I am aware of. So don’t say it’s because they want to save the hatchery fish because of the slide. I don’t think any hatchery chinook actually go up that far!! So this is total bull ****.

We had meeting with the Minister on May 22, 2019. He committed to looking at proposals for emergency hatchery enhancement on the rivers where the early Fraser stocks of concern are if we put a proposal forward. We put forward 2 proposals on June 9, 2019 by Spruce City Wildlife Association in Prince George which is the Upper Fraser’s largest fish and game club. They have ran the only hatchery in the area on the banks of the Nechako River since 1987. We believed these proposals would be beneficial and critical in the recovery plan for Early Fraser Chinook stocks of concern.

Spruce City Wildlife Association has partnered with the Carrier Sekani Tribal Council and meets with the Upper Fraser Fisheries Conservation Alliance, as well as DFO. They can guarantee there is no other hatchery enhancements in the area.

SCWA has over 150 members and put in over 500 volunteer hours to collect brood last year for the current smaller enhancement program in the area. They reported sex ratios in some areas that were 48 males to 3 females. This points to a definite need for fish culture to help with the recovery

We have had zero response from Minister Wilkinson, despite his commitment to look at it! Tells you where his priorities sit!

Ok I will weigh in. The rock slide looks bad but I didnt attend any briefing on it. I would have to assume its serious.

Next you guys con rotate if think its SFAB fault. So stuff it if you are going there. I didn't even know about as it moved that fast.

Next. I could tolerate the wild limit briefly for a few weeks based on situation. But on principal having slot put on hatchery fish I think is ridiculous. It shows zero credibility on the ministers part.

Lastly there isn't any data that justifies it at all. So I smell just as much NGO involvement there than FN. I think we know who and where this is coming from.

This season is a mess. Never have a seen this amount of bad luck.
I know for a fact you guys have busted your asses with DFO and i personally want to thank you Mr Spring Velocity, Derby and Sea Run for all your efforts!

Back