2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out with a buddy off Victoria today for Halibut. Left the Esq. Anglers ramp at 6:00 am to catch the early tide change and pulled our anchor at 11:00 am to head in. Beautiful calm flat day with modest current. Hit a few dogs and two cookie cutter 40lb Butts that we got in the boat, so we were pretty happy since on our last trip out, we got zip. There were lots of boats anchored up and we talked to quite a few of them back at the launch and no one we talked to was successful, so they still appear to be somewhat scarce. I guess we just got lucky. We were down deep and using lots of salmon scraps on circle hooks. Almost no one was trolling for salmon, which is not surprising given the closures including the Hatchery marked Chinook.

Last edited:
Went out for some hali fun today out on anchor for 4 and a half hours. We played in the dog pound for 2 hrs then we hit a hali after 20 minutes of gaining and losing ground we see the monster. It gave me a great big smile to see it but even more satisfied to see it swim away. It was 100 plus and a day my daughter and good friends won't soon forget.

Attachments

• 20190627_113340.jpg
    20190627_113340.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 20190627_113309.jpg
    20190627_113309.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 20190627_113232.jpg
    20190627_113232.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 215
Saturday jigged several spots from Brody to S. of Discovery. Two springs, mid to high teens, Rite Angle chrome needle fish. Plus a few undersize lings and Rock Fish.
Sunday was a gong show at the ramp! When out for an afternoon "boat ride". Found the great Ling nursery. A few were close.
Monday; A lot bumpier, hit same spots as Saturday but only bottom fish. Snagged quite a few sand lance.

I went out to constance on Monday and was shocked to see only one other truck and trailer at Esquimalt anglers that morning. I headed out but it was too bumpy and the fog was rolling in so I headed to the waterfront. All we caught were doggies and little lings but it was nice to be out there, if not a little eerie feeling having the whole ocean to myself for a few hours.

I was the first to cattle point launch Monday at around o700. Some pretty lady was playing the piano and singing, it was a beautiful setting. I would have appreciated the security of a little more company out in the bumps in my 13' tinner,

So I deciding to try this thing called halibut fishing on Sat am from about 7-10ish. Beautiful calm seas. Drifted from Brodie to south of Discovery to around the 230 foot mark. Nothing but dogs and the tiniest of a rockfish pulled up from 200 feet! No need to hit the gym anymore pulling 2 pound weights up from that depth! I can see why guys go to electric reels.... :cool:

One other boat out drifting behind me. I concur with @eroyd though....nice to have a bit more company when in a small tinny....

I know it’s still early, but I have heard a few guys saying they have got some coho. I have a buddy in town next week and he is dying to bonk a few to make some smoked salmon. Just curious if guys are getting them, if they are sizable and where to find them ?

I have always worked the tide lines / found the other boats and had decent success on the coho. Just wanted to be able to find them if any where around and know I am not just wasting time.

I know it’s still early, but I have heard a few guys saying they have got some coho.

coho don't usually come this far south until Sept/Oct
not to say you couldn't catch one, just not many and hatch only till Oct 01.
they are catching them further west in Sooke.

I know it’s still early, but I have heard a few guys saying they have got some coho. I have a buddy in town next week and he is dying to bonk a few to make some smoked salmon. Just curious if guys are getting them, if they are sizable and where to find them ?

I have always worked the tide lines / found the other boats and had decent success on the coho. Just wanted to be able to find them if any where around and know I am not just wasting time.

There were lots out from Beachy Head last weekend. Biggest was 6 lb hatchery. 50-80 ft deep and in 480-550 ft of water. Fish the rip. We had some BBQ'd and yes they taste great.

HM

Angler Protest
Where? – Ogden Point Breakwater
When? – July 15th, 2019 at 9:00 AM
On July 15th the BC Coast opens for the retention of Chinook Salmon. Meanwhile the straight of Juan de Fuca remains closed. It has been asked of Minister Wilkinson and DFO “Why we can’t retain a hatchery marked Chinook?”, with NO REPLY. It’s time we let the government know how important this public fishery is to all of us. Please show up in your boat, kayak, canoe or whatever floatation device you have. Attendance is critical and without your support we fail!
The message is dead simple
“Why can’t we retain a hatchery marked chinook”?
Make a sign! Media will be there!

There were lots out from Beachy Head last weekend. Biggest was 6 lb hatchery. 50-80 ft deep and in 480-550 ft of water. Fish the rip. We had some BBQ'd and yes they taste great.

HM

Thanks

I have got them off Beechy head before, but in late August / September. If I find them and can stay with them then it can be a ton of fun. Just a matter of finding them.

Angler Protest
Where? – Ogden Point Breakwater
When? – July 15th, 2019 at 9:00 AM
On July 15th the BC Coast opens for the retention of Chinook Salmon. Meanwhile the straight of Juan de Fuca remains closed. It has been asked of Minister Wilkinson and DFO “Why we can’t retain a hatchery marked Chinook?”, with NO REPLY. It’s time we let the government know how important this public fishery is to all of us. Please show up in your boat, kayak, canoe or whatever floatation device you have. Attendance is critical and without your support we fail!
The message is dead simple
“Why can’t we retain a hatchery marked chinook”?
Make a sign! Media will be there!

The date/time will prohibit a lot of anglers
too bad it wasn't a weekend....

The date/time will prohibit a lot of anglers
too bad it wasn't a weekend....

take a day off work, or take an early lunch or extended coffee. I took the day off to go to one in vancouver.

We are a group of people that can drop what were doing at a whim to go fishing when the wind is light...

should make a seperate thread for this

Got out this morning and picked up 2 nice springs. Approx 12 and 15 lbs. Gaff released so never touched or out of the water. Can't figure out why people still use nets when we have to let the fish go. Not the best pics as I was solo and the current and wind were a factor.

Attachments

• IMG_20190704_093155.jpg
    IMG_20190704_093155.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20190704_080319.jpg
    IMG_20190704_080319.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 114
take a day off work, or take an early lunch or extended coffee. I took the day off to go to one in vancouver.

We are a group of people that can drop what were doing at a whim to go fishing when the wind is light...

should make a seperate thread for this

There is a thread in the Conservation area about this protest. Let's keep this one for reports please.

Had my best day fishing ever fishing by myself (that's saying a lot,I'm old and fished all my life) on Constance on Thursday.I sat on a school of fish jigging as the tide changed from flood to ebb.My best was a 24-25 Lb. beauty and multiple 15-20Lb. fish and a few under 10.All revived and released safely while in the water,great fun.

Had my best day fishing ever fishing by myself (that's saying a lot,I'm old and fished all my life) on Constance on Thursday.I sat on a school of fish jigging as the tide changed from flood to ebb.My best was a 24-25 Lb. beauty and multiple 15-20Lb. fish and a few under 10.All revived and released safely while in the water,great fun.
Hey Rayvon what’s your set up for jigging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back