2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of a cross border shopping debate.
Soon I will be hogging the reef, ducking banana weights and exercising my ceremonial,traditional and other forms of Canadian First Nation harvesting.

Might even feed my whiskered brother a spring or two, and give a non descending shallow water black rockfish to the ever present eagle.

It’s going to be great killing and eating a few slabs.

Soon I will be hogging the reef, ducking banana weights and exercising my ceremonial,traditional and other forms of Canadian First Nation harvesting.

Might even feed my whiskered brother a spring or two, and give a non descending shallow water black rockfish to the ever present eagle.

It’s going to be great killing and eating a few slabs.
He only use the round ones, they chuck better lol

Hey Kingspring, put a red dot on your forehead, gives me something to aim at :D Was out today, hit and miss, had 10 takes and only landed 3, definitely fish around. I will say one thing and i have heard this from other areas, fish are on average bigger than previous years and strong numbers so far.

Hey Kingspring, put a red dot on your forehead, gives me something to aim at :D Was out today, hit and miss, had 10 takes and only landed 3, definitely fish around. I will say one thing and i have heard this from other areas, fish are on average bigger than previous years and strong numbers so far.
I thought Chinooks were endangered?

I fished Swiftsure several times in the past week - Thurs, Friday and Sat. The number of coho on the bank has increased and they are very abundant. The number of kings seems to have decreased and they are a bit harder to come by - especially on Sat and Sun. (Sunday reports from a couple of friends). On Sat. we worked fairly hard at it and only caught 2 chinook. Sunday, 4 very good fishermen I know only caught 2 between them. The black cod are still a bit of a problem. We fed about 3.5 dozen herring to black cod to get our 2 on Sat.

I fished Swiftsure several times in the past week - Thurs, Friday and Sat. The number of coho on the bank has increased and they are very abundant. The number of kings seems to have decreased and they are a bit harder to come by - especially on Sat and Sun. (Sunday reports from a couple of friends). On Sat. we worked fairly hard at it and only caught 2 chinook. Sunday, 4 very good fishermen I know only caught 2 between them. The black cod are still a bit of a problem. We fed about 3.5 dozen herring to black cod to get our 2 on Sat.
I'm heading out on the 17th How big are the Coho? I hear the pinks are starting to come in also, up to eight pounds, anyone know if this is true?

I'm heading out on the 17th How big are the Coho? I hear the pinks are starting to come in also, up to eight pounds, anyone know if this is true?
Be cautious about what you here!
8lbs is a very biggish pink for mid July.
Coho usually are 4 to 8 lbs this time of year.

Best it’s to go fish and develop your own data bank based on your experiences on the water, like tide, weather,moon, low pressure,birds,depth,structure,current,leaders and stuff.....

Hey Kingspring you have the dot painted on your forehead yet, let the games begin Monday, on a side note fishing has been stupid crazy :) Lots of fish stacking in Logan, holding lots of bait.

Talked to a friend yesterday who just got back from fishing hali .
His take on Chinook was the bait and fish were holding at Camper and as usual just along the reef was the spot to be.
Not many boat fishing Springs when he was up.

Talked to a friend yesterday who just got back from fishing hali .
His take on Chinook was the bait and fish were holding at Camper and as usual just along the reef was the spot to be.
Not many boat fishing Springs when he was up.
Wow your friend is good, i wish i could say how the beach is when off shore fishing hailbut :)

Wow your friend is good, i wish i could say how the beach is when off shore fishing hailbut :)

Like most Renfrew Fishermen who fish off shore, they make a stop on the Beach on the way in. They did and had a little fun with Springs after getting their two halibut.
Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger. Will give you a first hand report Tuesday or Wednesday after we get back.

Like most Renfrew Fishermen who fish off shore, they make a stop on the Beach on the way in. They did and had a little fun with Springs after getting their two halibut.
Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger. Will give you a first hand report Tuesday or Wednesday after we get back.
I will see you Monday, what boat are you in

Be cautious about what you here!
8lbs is a very biggish pink for mid July.
Coho usually are 4 to 8 lbs this time of year.

Best it’s to go fish and develop your own data bank based on your experiences on the water, like tide, weather,moon, low pressure,birds,depth,structure,current,leaders and stuff.....

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of the "usual" size and timing of the runs. That said there were some huge pinks a couple of years ago and there have been mixed reports for Pinks and Coho this year. I fully plan on doing my own fishing, but due to these stupid closures, I have not actually been out fishing, so therefore no personal intel. I ask these questions not for people to divulge their secrets to me, but merely to enhance my level of STOKE and ANTICIPATION to be back on the water doing what I love to do. This is a fishing reports forum, no? It would be nice to know if there is any credence to the rumors, because I like to dream about my up comming trips almost as much as actually going on them.
Does anyone have any actual reports to help my up my anticipation meter before I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back