Need help with import fees

sir-vivor

Wonder if someone could help me with this

I purchased some wire from a USA supplier ,the value was $40 USA. (Paid by Paypal)

When the pkg was delivered by UPS guy said I owed $110 import fees. I paid it.

When looking at the UPS documents it was noted the "total value for duty" was $807 and the GST/PST was based on that of $96.81 (and a Broker fee of $10.50).

Do I have any recourse on this since the actual value was $40 USA ?

How do I go about going after it, if I have recourse ,

Tks
Clint

First of all never use UPS. Been burnt a couple times by them. Twice bitten, you know the rest. (Their brokerage fees suck big time) I would start with a letter or call to UPS. They obviously got the value wrong and there is no way they should have charged what they did. See what they say and go from there.

Oly

Wonder if someone could help me with this

I purchased some wire from a USA supplier ,the value was $40 USA. (Paid by Paypal)

When the pkg was delivered by UPS guy said I owed $110 import fees. I paid it.

When looking at the UPS documents it was noted the "total value for duty" was $807 and the GST/PST was based on that of $96.81 (and a Broker fee of $10.50).

Do I have any recourse on this since the actual value was $40 USA ?

How do I go about going after it, if I have recourse ,

Tks
Clint
Ouch! That really sucks man.
I would start from the vendor to see if they messed up the shipping paperwork. In that case, the vendor should reimburse your cost. Next would be the UPS customer service. Someone has obviously dropped the ball.

Same as Oly for me, any time ANYTHING comes by UPS they charge import fees. Not sure if it's because it's an arm of the US Government or what, but none of the other shippers charge import duty, at least not to me.

Same as Oly for me, any time ANYTHING comes by UPS they charge import fees. Not sure if it's because it's an arm of the US Government or what, but none of the other shippers charge import duty, at least not to me.
Yeah. I avoid UPS at any cost.

Thanks called the mfg and they said their invoice was enclose correctly at $40 , so had no clue what happened. I opened a case with UPS but no response so I sent a second email and no response , so tommorow I call them. I just wonder who is responsible for quoting the $807
amount and why ???
Well will let you all know when I know. Thanks

I’ve had issues with ups too but unfortunately some sellers will only use them. I’ve also had issues with canada customs during the summer, after some inquiring I got the story that summer help brought in to cover holidays were told to write up everything and let the customer dispute it instead of training them in the first place. I try not to order during the summer.

What a bunch of BS, but after about an hour and half call with UPS it was discovered that the invoice from the sender to UPS was for the wrong amount ($616.00) , (which was my initial feeling) but UPS would not initially supply me with the incorrect invoice so I could go back to the shipper to get the invoice corrected. And, yet the invoice supplied with the goods from UPS had the correct
amount ?????? Any way It was the senders fault when forwarding the declaration. Now I have to deal with getting a refund ... which UPS said they will re wright and correct ......Sure , I'll believe it when I see it.
Just a note to everyone, when you think your overcharged on imported tax, I would recommend refusing it and putting the onus back on the sender , who has probably screwed up and don't do what I did , thinking "I didn't want inconveniencing the sender by having the stuff returned.

Never use UPS - first hand experience.:eek:

Just open an account with TSB Shipping Plus in Point Roberts and have your purchases from the US shipped there. When your order is received by TSB Shipping Plus they will notify you via email and you can then go and pick it up. I have been using TSB for years. There charge is very reasonable. Look them up on the web to get more info. When you get to the Border declare what you purchased and most of the time they will waive you through.

Never, never use UPS. If that's all a US company uses as a shipper I go else where. Same as others said, once bitten, twice shy and NEVER again. Good luck, I hope they refund you for full amounts as mistake seams obvious.

HM
I agree 100% ....Had no idea but never again !

What upset me the most after being over charged almost $100 dollars was UPS would not supply me with a copy of the shippers document stating the over stated value ($616 dollars instead of $40 dollars) even though their COD envelop enclosed the invoice from the seller for $40. They said it was CONFIDENTIAL. Confidential, BS , I paid the taxes due, how can in be withheld from me citing confidentiality...Geeees.
What would have happened if the seller decided not to play ball and avoid my calls , how would I have ever known who did what , lucky after a long call to UPS's Canadian Broker I got a copy but UPS refused to supply me with it. .. .

Certainly hope you get your "stolen" funds returned. Have my doubts, keeping the heat on them and staying with it then maybe. Cabelas uses UPS for online delivery, I only let them deliver if its coming from the Canadian where house as shipping is free and no duties. If coming from US I go elsewhere. UPS is no more than border thief's. Now USPS US Post service is excellent.

HM

I agree 100% ....Had no idea but never again !

Anything i order now from the U.S. goes to point roberts package depot and i pick it up and bring it across. for one shipping is usually cheaper and pays for the gas to go there. Second you dont usually have to pay any dutys or taxes for anything under $100 and even been lucky on some higher priced things and while your there fill up for a bit cheaper. The fee for the package depot is very reasonable and lots of places to choose from.

Glad it worked out for you. Even though it will take a long time to get back your money. still seems like a lot of money for a $40 part.

Oly

what happened there were 15 pks at $2.66 each for a total of $40
The shipper declaired 15 pks at $40 each total import value $616
I was then charged Tax and duty on the $616, so that equaled $107
All rounded off.
The problem was the shippers records said they only charged me $40 and blamed it on UPS and
supplied me with an invoice for that $40
UPS said the shipper declared the value the invoice as $616 , and when I asked for copy of the
shipper declaration, UPS said no .....So , I had a delema proving it to the shipper.
Until, I spoke to the customes agent at UPS who supplied me with the document and then
I forwarded the shippers invoice and it was clear they owed me refund as noted above.
I should have just refused the shipment and let the two of them fight it out, next time I will
SNAFU !

Well .... Kick me in the head !!!
After all the above and as of this date I still have not received the $90.50 from UPS.
Stupid me I figured , well it really wasn't UPS fault , it was Do-It molds for over valuing the invoice, and they apologized so what do I do , like a fricken idiot.... I place a second order, YUP!
Well it happened again, instead of the invoice being declared by Do-It for $121 usa, its valued at $450 (rounded off) and then I get notice of the outrageous taxes due on it of $51 , but the package gets damaged. Whew ! I don't have to worry about it right !
Well Do-It sends the order a second time and the same fricken thing happens the $121 usa invoice it valued at $450 , WTF ???
So, I get a second notice of another outrageous tax amount due, not $51 ........ but $81, WTF ????:"?"
Well today tops it all off, I still have not received the packages but I got two bills from UPS, one for the $51 and another for $81 for a total of $132 usa with again no product ..... WTF ??? Especially since the value of the goods is $121 usa ????????
I emailed Do-It and UPS and told them I'm refusing the packages and they can suck fricken wind.
END OF STORY ...... MORAL OF STORY ........ DON'T EVER ORDER FROM USA DO-IT OR USE UPS !

When I order from the USA, I use SeaWings.
If you are on the lower island, they bring the package up from Blaine and you self broker at the Victoria Airport.
The hardest part of that is the 5 min walk from SeaWings to the customs desk.
The best part for me, is that all the "free shipping in the US" websites ship to Sea Wings in Blaine for free, then it's $17 for the first 5 lbs, then $0.45/lb after that.
With no brokerage fees!
http://www.seawings.ca/index.htm
The last item I bought in the US would have been $65 US for shipping, plus brokerage fee, plus duty.
With SeaWings, it was $17 plus duty.
It's super easy, and they'll basically tell you what you need to do if it's your first time.

Back