2019 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to fishing the area previously spent most of my time around Powell River in a family shared boat, the water there is pretty protected. I am looking to get a used boat, but don’t know the local water well enough to make an informed decision. For the next couple years I’m looking to go cheap before I start the sales pitch with my wife for a bigger boat. Is a 14-16 foot aluminum with a decent bow good enough for crabbing, prawning and some occasional fishing on an average spring/summer day? Looking at some used boats like a Gregor, Westcoster or Klamath. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions for a guide to give me the rundown on local spots between Parksville and Bowser.

Thanks, tight lines.
you should be fine Graham Flack

Fished out front of French creek this afternoon from around 1030 or 11 until 230, so through the change up. Was into some pretty non stop action to start, just before the first hump. Slowed a bit around 1 but still getting hits. Chartreuse ace high and needle nose white with green and chartreuse glo uv flashers getting most of the action. Spoon had hits as did a small plug but hootchy was most productive. Most hits 180 to 110. Only one spring about 13 lbs or so

Another beauty night out there, 5 double headers and five singles each biggest around 20 all on plugs

I'm pretty new to this salt water fishing... When you're referring to "plugs" do you mean cut herring? or man-made hardware like a Lucky Louie?

I'm pretty new to this salt water fishing... When you're referring to "plugs" do you mean cut herring? or man-made hardware like a Lucky Louie?
When It's herring It's called cut plug. Otherwise It's hardware, as you mention.

Fished the afternoon tide off sangster and was into quite a few springs pretty non stop for bit. White needle fish and a 6 inch plug both striking equally. Was pretty fun, the wind was a bit of a challenge if going against it.

Is sangster within the French creek reporting zone? Would like to try it out this weekend. Any tips on where to concentrate? Lots of fishy looking structure on the NW and SE end

Hope you are all getting out there now it is open. I just wanted to give a bump to the Chinook and Coho diet monitoring we are doing out of UVic. For folks fishing the Parksville area you can drop off your stomachs at Pacific Net and Twine... This area of the island is currently a hole in our coverage... so we are hoping a couple of year round anglers in this area can help us out. The store should have bags and data cards but we can also mail supplies. Key info to record is species, date, length, catch location, and hatchery/wild. In the absence of our fancy waterproof datacards pencil on scrap paper is fine. Include your email address and each stomach is one entry in a draw for an MR2LA courtesy of Islander Reels.
Check out the story on our program in the July issue of Island Fisherman Magazine and follow us on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/Southern-BC-Adult-Salmon-Diet-Program-493763831003993/
Questions to juaneslabmanger@gmail.com

Tight lines

Will

Is sangster within the French creek reporting zone? Would like to try it out this weekend. Any tips on where to concentrate? Lots of fishy looking structure on the NW and SE end
both ends and the west side can all be good at times. And yes it is this threads area.

Hi.
We now have our boat moored at fairwinds. But we have not fished in that area before. We have been out a couple of times for a couple hours since opening. Only picking up undedsize. Any tips or tricks. Maybe depths or places to try?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back