Rockfish Descender

Slydog

Hi. I’m going to buy a Descending device before my next groundfish fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks

I saw the above one in use two weeks ago. Worked just fine. Bought one from Harbour Chandler just the other day.

Call me cheap but I made 2 from the directions in Island Angler magazine with shop stainless welding rods I had around. I use a spare fishing rod, easy to switch weight when depth changes, worked great. Spent the $100 on gas. Thanks Premier.

HM

My plan is to make one out of a standard Halibut Fishing stainless Spreader Bar. It looks like it should only take a few minutes. Just cut the rod a few inches from the top, bend it down at a V- shaped angle and sharpen it to a point. You can bend it like the SFD/Shelton one if you like. Then put a large split ring on the bottom swivel to attach a 2lb ball to the bottom of the vertical rod and it is done. It will already have a swivel on the top end. Should be heavy duty and no rust.

Last edited:
If you look in regs there are options on approved devices. I think its great you guys make them, but I would be prepared if CO stops you. The equalizer is the best one, and there are few under $20.00 which is reasonable.

If you look in regs there are options on approved devices. I think its great you guys make them, but I would be prepared if CO stops you. The equalizer is the best one, and there are few under $20.00 which is reasonable.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/rockfish-sebaste-dd-eng.html

Am I missing something? Are we not making a "barbless inverted weighted hook" device, one of the three types of desending devices DFO refers too. With my idea to make one out of a spreader bar, would it not be a very high quality release device of that type?. What would be the concern of DFO with us making these? Do you think they would not approve of home made?

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/rockfish-sebaste-dd-eng.html

Am I missing something? Are we not making a "barbless inverted weighted hook" device, one of the three types of desending devices DFO refers too. With my idea to make one out of a spreader bar, would it not be a very high quality release device of that type?. What would be the concern of DFO with us making these? Do you think they would not approve of home made?

I really am not sure Rick but I could ask. I believe though it had to be one of the approved devices as they were tested by staff.

I really am not sure Rick but I could ask. I believe though it had to be one of the approved devices as they were tested by staff.
Please confirm if you have an "ear" as when I read regs it states;

Rockfish - Anglers in vessels shall immediately return all rockfish that are not being retained to the water and to a similar depth from which they were caught by use of an inverted weighted barbless hook or other purpose-built descender device

Island fisherman had very good drawings of what to "build", would hate to think my inverted weighted barbless hook would somehow get me in caca. New regs do change fishing, we deliberately fished shallow and stayed away from our normal cod areas. Even fished ling with bigger lures and shallower than 120ft due to incidental catch and descender release. Less than 120 seams easier to drop and reel back up, definitely better for the fish.

HM

I will ask the question and get back to you guys on it.

This is all new as of this year....

The only thing I will say is you must have it rigged for use if you get checked.

0E36ECE0-CF56-44A5-BB6F-2521B50101A8.jpeg
Here is my shelton descender hooked up to a 2lb cannon. i’ve been checked several times this year while jigging, and all i’ve done is show the CO the descending device. it has not been hooked up to a dedicated jigging rod.

I just use a barblesss 10/0 j hook tied to a 2lb ball. Tie my mainline to the bend in the hook. Weight attached to the eye of the hook.... Works well costs about 2$

Here it is. Made out of the smallest size Halibut fishing spreader bar. Cost less than five dollars and takes a few minutes to make not counting the 1.5 lb ball. All it took was a pair of bolt cutters (hack saw would work) and a file to sharpen the point. The bending was done by hand. Already had the swivels and weight connector built in to the spreader bar.

Descender.jpg

Here it is. Made out of the smallest size Halibut fishing spreader bar. Cost less than five dollars and takes a few minutes to make not counting the 1.5 lb ball. All it took was a pair of bolt cutters (hack saw would work) and a file to sharpen the point. The bending was done by hand. Already had the swivels and weight connector built in to the spreader bar.

View attachment 46187

Is friction enough to keep the ball from sliding down the hook? What keeps the hook from turning upwards if the fishy flips and flops? Tried it yet?

Is friction enough to keep the ball from sliding down the h.ook? What keeps the hook from turning upwards if the fishy flips and flops? Tried it yet?

Perhaps I am not grasping the question. The weight cannot slide as it is attached and it keeps the rod vertical and the Rockfish held on the reverse hook through the lip as it is dropped down. I have not tried it yet but this basic design is well proven. I have also not had Rockfish do a lot of flips and flops after being brought up or while bringing them up for that matter . They mostly just lie there on the surface, even when brought up from shallow depth, let alone with their eyes bulged out and their stomach pushed out their mouth when brought up from the deep. As I understand it, the trick is letting it recover a little at returned depth and then giving the line a little sharp pull to help it slide off.

Last edited:
if you look close it is one piece, i thought it was two at first as well

Now I get the question. Yes the rod is all one piece with all its bends and raps, just like the spreader bar it started out as. It is easier to see if you expand the picture.

Last edited:
Back