2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't been much to see in terrafin due to cloud cover last few days but looked like water was beginning to shape up before.

I'm chomping at the bit too get out there after gearing up for tuna this winter. Looking for people who are interested in buddy boating out of Ucluelet or winter harbor.

Ryan

Hasn't been much to see in terrafin due to cloud cover last few days but looked like water was beginning to shape up before.

I'm chomping at the bit too get out there after gearing up for tuna this winter. Looking for people who are interested in buddy boating out of Ucluelet or winter harbor.

Ryan
Always looking forward to a tuna shot! We will be up in WH August 30 through September 7, we always seem to get into them at that time. There is a group of 4 or 5 buddy boats up there at that time, the more the merrier.

I ran out to 72 Square on the American side for hali and lings yesterday. In the deeper canyons on the way out, temps were around 63-64F. I saw lots of porpoises and whales, one thresher and a huge sunfish. So all the signs of tuna water were there. A few have been caught down in Oregon a bit south of the Columbia River mouth. It won't be long until they can be found within reach of Renfrew.

Reading the reports on BD the fleet is 80 to 400 miles offshore in Oregon/Washington and fishing hasn't been great

Anyone know of a tackle shop on Vancouver Island that carries needle eye hooks (for rigging cedar plugs?). Couldn't find them at Trotac and not listed on PnT site...(available from US websites, if it comes to that).

Never seen those here No- internet only.

There is a way to rig them without needle eyes though-and Yes it's a bit of a ghetto rig but it does work fine.

IMGP3109.jpg

IMGP3108.jpg

IMGP3110.jpg

There is a way to rig them without needle eyes though-and Yes it's a bit of a ghetto rig but it does work fine.

IMGP3109.jpg

IMGP3108.jpg

IMGP3110.jpg
You should cut a piece of shrink-wrap and put it over the tape, heat it up and you'd be golden.

Thanks Dogbreath, but I was hoping to tuck the hook itself further into the plug, similar to factory rigged versions. Maybe it doesn't make a difference but, when in doubt, mimic what works. I assume you haven't noticed a difference in hook ups...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back