Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out for a quick trip wed am left sooke harbour at 7 30 went near otter on way out saw 2 boats and then 1 more so a total of 4 boats on a beautiful flat calm day with a good tide..of course plane flew over thank you asshole wilkenson for killing the sooke fishery and letting I think now 41 opening on the fraser river...
I know this is a fishing report page but very concerning for me to see how bad it has gotten so going to apologize now for this rant.

Fished Muir area yesturday for my first time out this year. Was targeting hatchery coho (spoons and hootchies). Released around 6 wild, 3 hatch keepers and released 3x 15-20lb springs, all clean releases next to the boat with gaf. Such a shame. There are fish around!

July is going to hit that community the worst. I haven't been down there this year which is a record for me. Such a shame when a government doesn't value our recreational fishery. Thought we all made that clear at the town hall meeting.

Sooke is becoming just like Brentwood Bay. It is sad really.

Was out for a quick trip wed am left sooke harbour at 7 30 went near otter on way out saw 2 boats and then 1 more so a total of 4 boats on a beautiful flat calm day with a good tide..of course plane flew over thank you asshole wilkenson for killing the sooke fishery and letting I think now 41 opening on the fraser river...
I know this is a fishing report page but very concerning for me to see how bad it has gotten so going to apologize now for this rant.

4 boats is not good in June.

My jaw literally drops when I think of how bad you guys must have it.... I usually fish Sooke 2-3 times a year coming all the way from Calgary.... sounds like there is decent fish right now, and we usually do pretty good, keep a few, let several go... just to enjoy the experience... but this year.. Sooke is a no go for us.... headed up Island a fair ways... have to tell you... if I did not have all this cash tied up in a boat already... doubt I would even own one. I know its a fishing report page.... so sorry for the post Admin... but I do contribute when we fish there... and all I can say is WOW.... hard to imagine what it looks like. Even to here 2Reel shut down his tackle shop..... don't know what to say.... and I know there really is nothing anyone can do about it.... please keep the reports coming and keep us posted as to how things are going ......

Epic salmon fishing off east Sooke today. If you ever fished offshore Bamtown, yup, that's what it is off Sooke right now! Tons of salmon around, lots of small springs and cohos but some nice ones mixed in and plenty in the 6-8# category. Biggest mid teens, cohos mostly small but had a couple 5-6# and one, no lies, around 10#! Unmarked of course. Despite flasher, jumped 2m clear out of water, so awesome! Can you imagine how big this coho is by Oct? Unreal! Bring your kids and have some fun! Had to share the trap with all of 6 other boats.

YES great fishing so i saw 7 boats today wow maybe 20 boats total for a nice day on a weekend in June ...very very sad as fishing is pretty good too, my clients left with some nice coho, let go one about low mid 20s beside boat untouched as I dont need to do a hero shot and hold fish up. after working in hatchery seeing some severe scale loss and hand prints on fish unless i am going to kill a fish there really is no need to "hold up" and fish take a picture so you can say on these forums and social media "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" I got a fish. Give the fish the respect it deserves....
Good luck Wolf

YES great fishing so i saw 7 boats today wow maybe 20 boats total for a nice day on a weekend in June ...very very sad as fishing is pretty good too, my clients left with some nice coho, let go one about low mid 20s beside boat untouched as I dont need to do a hero shot and hold fish up. after working in hatchery seeing some severe scale loss and hand prints on fish unless i am going to kill a fish there really is no need to "hold up" and fish take a picture so you can say on these forums and social media "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" I got a fish. Give the fish the respect it deserves....
Good luck Wolf
Couldn't agree with you more Roy, but i say hero shots are awesome, first you net the fish, dump it in the boat, then wrestle the hooks out of it while it is flipping in the boat. Then you pick up the dandy fish, put it in the arms of the happy angler so they can bear hug it and smile for the best hero shot ever. Once all this has transpired then you toss it back in the ocean and hug and give high fives, and this is ok because this is how they do it in the charlottes

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems it’s a super strong run of fish.
Surely the Orcas must be frolicking right with them, putting on much needed poundage.
I speak to non fisher friends continuely, they ALL thought the Fraser was shut down to netting until after July 15.

They are shocked with the truth, it is a very stinky bed the Feds, FN and Greenies are cavorting in right now.

Last I heard the whales were up on inside and went up and over island?? who knew the "southern whales" went that far and even as far as Sacramento ???? didnt think fraser fish were down there???Anyways back to reports cant get out this WIND is fricken Horrid hope it goes away soon

Last I heard the whales were up on inside and went up and over island?? who knew the "southern whales" went that far and even as far as Sacramento ???? didnt think fraser fish were down there???Anyways back to reports cant get out this WIND is fricken Horrid hope it goes away soon
X2 on the wind sentiment. I’m sick of dealing with it when I’m just working in the yard! Saw a whale boat go by yesterday and had to shake my head. Im sure that will be a one and only whale watching trip for that group of tourists.
T2

I cant believe it... flat calm and 3 boats out today and fishing was awesome 7 springs to boat 4 mature 15 to 20 lbs id say and smaller feeders and was out for 3 hours , didnt hit any coho but was fishing old school today for fun, and to boot only 1 wild out of all of them.....
VERY sad if you were to say june 20th only 3 boats out 10 years ago,

I cant believe it... flat calm and 3 boats out today and fishing was awesome 7 springs to boat 4 mature 15 to 20 lbs id say and smaller feeders and was out for 3 hours , didnt hit any coho but was fishing old school today for fun, and to boot only 1 wild out of all of them.....
VERY sad if you were to say june 20th only 3 boats out 10 years ago,
Are the marina spots fairly full or are a lot of people not putting thier boats in?

Good luck Wolf
Hi Roy,
Your opinion is well said so I gave your comment a like. And OF COURSE, if people tend to a fish in the manner you described, it’s horrible and they shouldn’t fish.

Now my rebuttal...
There are no regs saying you cannot hold up a fish for a picture. If done properly, you can show off a fish with minimal chance of doing harm to it.

To do so, you much be organized well in advance and have a partner present who knows exactly what to do and when to do it.

Start off by having your partner get the pliers and the phone turned to camera mode and within reaching distance. When the fish is tired at the boat, hand off the rod to your partner.

It is important that you have very wet hands and with your weak hand on the leader, firmly grab the fish by the narrowest part where the body meets the tail. At this Point, the partner on the rod can give a few pulls of slack, and get the pliers ready. (camera is still right there)
Now with your other other wet hand, you can cradle the fish by the belly and lift straight up. DO NOT lift the fish out with one hand by the tail. DO NOT rub the fish against your body or drop the fish on the deck or you’re a tool.

Now your partner pulls the barbless hook out, snaps a few rapid fire shots and then you place the fish back on the water still with the hand under the belly. The fish should be out of the water for the least amount of time, preferably 10-15 seconds.

To release, the boat should be in neutral. In the water, nor with one hand, gently and slowly rock the fish in a front to back motion which helps get water into the gills.

After anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, you will feel the fish getting stronger and you can give a little push and they swim off.

If you don’t like the idea of holding a fish in a pic, there’s just as many who don’t think you should be it there hooking them when you can’t keep them anyways.

Back to reports.

Stizzla you are a great story teller, however you are dead wrong on your opinion that it's ok to play a Chinook to exhaustion then lifting it out of the water for 10 to 15 seconds to take a photo, then releasing it and expect a high survival rate!!

Fair enough.
I just figure if people are going to do it, which is in their rights, hopefully they do it the best way possible, and not netting into the boat and flopping around.
I would not recommend you watch any fishing shows on tv.

There is a big difference between playing a fish for thirty minutes and having it lay there on its side next to the boat and getting a fish in relatively quickly, I don't have a problem with guys taking pictures responsibly as stizzla pointed out. Its the guys that play the fish half to death and then release it next to the boat thinking they didn't harm the thing that bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back