2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always get up early and fish the morning and make sure we are on the move up the inlet no later then 9:30-10am and rarely have had problems. Like others had said it's the later morning and afternoon that it is the worse. I find the worse part from just before Nihmint to Stamp Narrows

Dad just returned from a night in the sound. He reports no fish at Swale, but the Pill area was good for them.

Thanks for the insight. I am planning to head out around 5-6am, so we certainly won’t be going through after 11! And heading back to port we will just have to see how we feel. Either early in the morning or wait till the evening. We both have zero interest in trying to go out when it’s not ideal. Better to be a bit cautious and get there safely than to be stupid and get into trouble.
I just docked my boat in Alberni about an hour ago. It was calm until about 1pm and then blew up. At 8:15pm it was blowing 22 knots and gusting to 30 knots in the inlet . Big wave Dave has a live cam of the harbour quay in Alberni that gives you a decent idea of what’s going on. It would have been a bad trip in a 17ft boat.

I just docked my boat in Alberni about an hour ago. It was calm until about 1pm and then blew up. At 8:15pm it was blowing 22 knots and gusting to 30 knots in the inlet . Big wave Dave has a live cam of the harbour quay in Alberni that gives you a decent idea of what’s going on. It would have been a bad trip in a 17ft boat.
How’d the commander handle it?

How’d the commander handle it?
It does pretty good in steep chop but it isn’t the best out there . It doesn’t have a super sharp entry like a Skagit or Grady but it has enough weight behind it that it holds it’s own. Being over 10 feet wide probably doesn’t help. I’m really happy with it so far.

See.. this is why I’m still questioning driving around. We can’t get stuck there the last night, but don’t want to miss out on an entire day of fishing. If the roads are in rough shape you go slow, if the water is in rough shape you don’t go at all.

Last edited:
See.. this is why I’m still questioning driving around. We can’t get stuck there the last night, but don’t want to miss out on an entire day of fishing. If the roads are in rough shape you go slow, if the water is in rough shape you don’t go at all.

Fair comment - however with all due respect, I think you may be overthinking it a little. Having been in the exact same boat as you (literally and figuratively), heed the advice of timing and weather and you will be fine. Coming back with the wind and going slow is a better resort than trailering, in my opinion.

I usually head out in our 17’ from Alberni at 10Am and return from Bamfield on our last day after a morning fish, at about 1030 and it’s always been decent.

As an aside, I’ve had to run the inlet on an afternoon when the was blowing 30 knots to rescue a stranded boat and we made it out and back - caution, diligence, all will be fine for ya!

Fair comment - however with all due respect, I think you may be overthinking it a little. Having been in the exact same boat as you (literally and figuratively), heed the advice of timing and weather and you will be fine. Coming back with the wind and going slow is a better resort than trailering, in my opinion.

I usually head out in our 17’ from Alberni at 10Am and return from Bamfield on our last day after a morning fish, at about 1030 and it’s always been decent.

As an aside, I’ve had to run the inlet on an afternoon when the was blowing 30 knots to rescue a stranded boat and we made it out and back - caution, diligence, all will be fine for ya!
I’m totally overthinking... it’s a female thing. But in all actuality, it’s also that I’m planning a surprise. If I don’t have everything planned to a T, then it won’t be nearly as good! after all no one would be as stoked with an “oh hey so I’m taking you fishing for 4 days for your birthday but you have to do your homework and plan it”

I’m totally overthinking... it’s a female thing. But in all actuality, it’s also that I’m planning a surprise. If I don’t have everything planned to a T, then it won’t be nearly as good! after all no one would be as stoked with an “oh hey so I’m taking you fishing for 4 days for your birthday but you have to do your homework and plan it”
You can’t over plan any trip because weather can change everything. You can just hope for the best

A good option may be to leave bamfield on the last day around 11 or noon and run to China creek and fish sockeye. If the wind does pick up you will be able to get to Alberni in 15 minutes.

From Facebook, Perhaps our reps at the table can share and post some of the info too?

upload_2019-6-14_9-24-0.png
upload_2019-6-14_9-25-26.png

Brian’s message is pretty well spot on.

I’ve done it many times in our 17’ centre console with a 115hp Yamaha on the back. Comfortable cruising at about 22-25mph gets us there in about 80 mins.

Obviously weather can be a wild card however the silver lining is that if the winds are up a bit on the cruise home, you are coming with the wind and waves more often than not.

I just did a guys trip to Banfield last weekend, two boats (17.5 and 18.5) 6 guys, and supplies for 4 day put our boats in at china Creek and we made it to Poetts Nook in 50 min.

Hey- maybe you all can help- the road to bamfield (either from Youbou or Port Alberni)... is it as awful as everyone seems to say? Taking the man out in two weeks for a birthday surprise trip- but I’ve heard that under about a 24’ you don’t want to go by water from port after about noon. Well... our last day there, I don’t want to have to leave that early! So rather go by road if it’s not horrific. Also- have any of you been to both McKay Bay and Pacific Gateway? I am trying to pick... by tomorrow!

Thanks from a newbie to the area!
Go by boat. Have done both ways several times and each time I swear I will NEVER drive the road again.

I just did a guys trip to Banfield last weekend, two boats (17.5 and 18.5) 6 guys, and supplies for 4 day put our boats in at china Creek and we made it to Poetts Nook in 50 min.
Probably a silly question- but why China creek and not right in port? Is the ramp better? Cost for parking better? I mean it doesn’t look like it’s that much closer..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back