Haidi Gwaii Prawning

Madman

Hi all,

I’m heading out to Renall Sound on the west coast of Haidi Gwaii. I am hoping to get some pointers on prawn trapping. Last year I placed a small retail trap in about 250’ of water and had zero success. I was hoping someone would be able to offer some advice about Rennell Sound or what makes a good prawn location. I know I want to be deep 250+ but what else should I be looking for? Does dropping them at the bottom of Pinnacles make sense or off cliffs? (Thinking More life means more nearby decay). What about bottom types? Rennal is mostly mud, can prawns be caught in mud bottoms or does it have to be sand or rock?

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Rocky slopes are best. Can't comment on whether that location will produce. Prawns are vertical migrators so you'll always catch more on a slope versus bottom or top of structure. You can catch them on mud bottoms if there are rocky areas nearby. If it's all mud it's probably not the best area.

Rocky slopes are best. Can't comment on whether that location will produce. Prawns are vertical migrators so you'll always catch more on a slope versus bottom or top of structure. You can catch them on mud bottoms if there are rocky areas nearby. If it's all mud it's probably not the best area.
Appreciate the help Ryan

I’ve had some good luck prawning outside estuaries in some inlets on west side of the Gwaii, deep though. 325-425’.

Round traps are best (not sure if that is your small retail trap). Weight the traps and drop at least two, four is better. You can do this with two strings. Always amazes me how one trap could be pretty full and the next on the same string not much. I wonder if they do not land properly on the bottom some times.

Round traps are best (not sure if that is your small retail trap). Weight the traps and drop at least two, four is better. You can do this with two strings. Always amazes me how one trap could be pretty full and the next on the same string not much. I wonder if they do not land properly on the bottom some times.

I Picked up new traps recently. The small retail was a cheap trap from Canadian tire... it got busted up last year from barely any use. Can you get a smattering of prawns or once you find an area there will be plenty?

That deep??? Ive been way too shallow.
I’ve never prawned that deep locally so take it with a grain of salt. But have had better luck up on the west side Gwaii deeper. Some of those “small” inlets have massive drops. Just have to check them before the octopus get in. :(

I’ve never prawned that deep locally so take it with a grain of salt. But have had better luck up on the west side Gwaii deeper. Some of those “small” inlets have massive drops. Just have to check them before the octopus get in. :(
The octopus will clean your traps out of prawns?

Are they steep drops around the outside or are they the deep bowl shapes you get in the center?

Are they steep drops around the outside or are they the deep bowl shapes you get in the center?
I’ve had luck fishing both. Had surprising success out in deeper water with no real steep drops nearby, although near an estuary which seems to really help from my experience.

Back