2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We spent two very early mornings around the Fingers this weekend. Very calm on Saturday, not so much on Sunday. Had a 12 lb Spring on in less than 10 minutes followed by several smaller ones and numerous double headers of smaller but scrappy Coho. We also managed to get into quite a few Pinks during the slower times. Chartreuse flashers with Coho killers of various types. Coho were hitting from surface down to 150 feet with many popping the pin on the way down as I was letting the cannonball down slowly. I decided to take the tag off a Peetz Tackle spoon I have had for a couple of seasons that is called Sylvester's Secret and promptly landed a very decent clipped Coho. Both the Pinks and the Coho seemed to be feeding on Copepods or some kind of plankton, they were stuffed with them and nothing else. We landed well over 15 Coho and only one was fin clipped? Is it possible that the fin clipping of Hatchery fish is not 100%?View attachment 45744
Those 2 on the right sure look like Chinooks to me

Reactions: RBL
We spent two very early mornings around the Fingers this weekend. Very calm on Saturday, not so much on Sunday. Had a 12 lb Spring on in less than 10 minutes followed by several smaller ones and numerous double headers of smaller but scrappy Coho. We also managed to get into quite a few Pinks during the slower times. Chartreuse flashers with Coho killers of various types. Coho were hitting from surface down to 150 feet with many popping the pin on the way down as I was letting the cannonball down slowly. I decided to take the tag off a Peetz Tackle spoon I have had for a couple of seasons that is called Sylvester's Secret and promptly landed a very decent clipped Coho. Both the Pinks and the Coho seemed to be feeding on Copepods or some kind of plankton, they were stuffed with them and nothing else. We landed well over 15 Coho and only one was fin clipped? Is it possible that the fin clipping of Hatchery fish is not 100%?View attachment 45744

Any further luck..

Anyone had any luck with crab lately? Every pot I’ve dropped in the usual spots are coming up blank with bait untouched. Sounds like there may be a hatch on so they may have gone to deep water, anyone else having better luck?

Not many coho are clipped these days due cost

In Canada. The US clips them all
well, not quite.

On rare occasions when we can keep unclipped fish, i've had the magic wand find a chip in the head of a fish with a clear adipose fin.

They don't get them all. :mad:

Decided to try for some coho yesterday morning 5am-12:30 (first early morning fish of the year for me, I just havnt been motivated for some reason...) we ripped out to entrance island and immediately found the bait! We were into chinooks thick for the first couple hours and easily brought 20 to the boat, lots between 8-15lbs and missed/lost lots as well. Unfortunately we only found one coho that was wild. Decided to jig for a bit but there was nothing out there. When we got back to the ramp seen this boat being held up by the motors... hopefully it’s not any of yours! On a side note I think I know why there’s no bottom fish. The ramp must have had 20+ ling heads and as many rockfish carcasses dumped on the ramp in just the area we could see...

Every hook we put in the water caught fish. Fishing water depth of 100-250’. Running the riggers at 60-120’ as soon as you would get on the bait it was fish on.

79944024-F69D-4080-BB8D-6A29B8763BAB.jpeg 94AF1670-970A-44A1-A2A5-EA10B810D2F7.jpeg

Decided to try for some coho yesterday morning 5am-12:30 (first early morning fish of the year for me, I just havnt been motivated for some reason...) we ripped out to entrance island and immediately found the bait! We were into chinooks thick for the first couple hours and easily brought 20 to the boat, lots between 8-15lbs and missed/lost lots as well. Unfortunately we only found one coho that was wild. Decided to jig for a bit but there was nothing out there. When we got back to the ramp seen this boat being held up by the motors... hopefully it’s not any of yours! On a side note I think I know why there’s no bottom fish. The ramp must have had 20+ ling heads and as many rockfish carcasses dumped on the ramp in just the area we could see...

Every hook we put in the water caught fish. Fishing water depth of 100-250’. Running the riggers at 60-120’ as soon as you would get on the bait it was fish on.

View attachment 45864 View attachment 45863
Must have been one hell of a good lunch special to miss the tide change

Anyone had any luck with crab lately? Every pot I’ve dropped in the usual spots are coming up blank with bait untouched. Sounds like there may be a hatch on so they may have gone to deep water, anyone else having better luck?

I have had the same result. Not sure what is going on. Anybody else know? I don’t remember getting blanked so often. I am not even getting undersized Dungeness. Rock crabs - yes. Dingeness- no!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back