2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gents,

Might be headed out Bamfield direction next weekend for a little fish Saturday-Monday. A couple questions:

1. I’ve never fished in that area before so after I check the regs, can anyone offer up any “general areas” to start? I’m not looking for “the secret spot” just something to get my feet wet over on your side to give us a hint! Anything would help. Targeting chinook.
2. Is it worth bringing a couple Hali rigs? I’ve never actually caught a halibut myself so I’ll be looking in to the regs and how to set up in the days to come.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys would be willing to share!

Paul.

Hey gents,

Might be headed out Bamfield direction next weekend for a little fish Saturday-Monday. A couple questions:

1. I’ve never fished in that area before so after I check the regs, can anyone offer up any “general areas” to start? I’m not looking for “the secret spot” just something to get my feet wet over on your side to give us a hint! Anything would help. Targeting chinook.
2. Is it worth bringing a couple Hali rigs? I’ve never actually caught a halibut myself so I’ll be looking in to the regs and how to set up in the days to come.

Paul.
Lots of Chinook and a few Coho as well. The Bamfield Wall, Brady's Beach, Kirby Point, Cape Beale, Mearse Bluff have all been good at times lately. Who knows what it will be like in a week but I suspect the fish will still be around. There are Halibut around, both inside the sound and offshore with the offshore being more productive most times.

Lots of Chinook and a few Coho as well. The Bamfield Wall, Brady's Beach, Kirby Point, Cape Beale, Mearse Bluff have all been good at times lately. Who knows what it will be like in a week but I suspect the fish will still be around. There are Halibut around, both inside the sound and offshore with the offshore being more productive most times.
Roger all that, Bod.
That’s enough to get me started. I fish mostly on the strait of Georgia so I’m pretty pumped to explore the west side! Really appreciate the advice. Tight lines.

Hey gents,

Paul.

I fish Georgia Straight and Barkley Sound and one thing that you will find is that structure can be more important in Barkley Sound that Georgia Straight. Fishing the south side of Bowen or the Hump often involves big swathes of ocean and fishing in 400’+ of water. I personally have found that in Barkley Sound you need to pay much closer attention to structure and how to get your lines in the right spot. I would sit back from the boats when you first arrive and get a sense of how they are working the contours and then start playing with depths on the tracks the other boats are laying down. Good luck!

Sea.p.p. How’s the fishing over there? We’re heading over Thursday afternoon. Do they no why the boat sunk? I seen a picture of it . That would suck.

chins where plenty and decent size this weekend. i only fished the outside edges. bait galore. white needlefish and wee gee where the choice.

Reactions: RBL
Sea.p.p. How’s the fishing over there? We’re heading over Thursday afternoon. Do they no why the boat sunk? I seen a picture of it . That would suck.
Fishing starting to heat up lots of squid around also socks coming in at China creek.Have not heard why the boat sank safe to say he had a hole just don,t know if was a true wall or the plug. We will see you about 3 on friday

Post your 2019 fishing reports here!

Heading out Thursday from North Saanich, hopefully weather permitting will be fishing Friday! First time to the Sound, and should be around for a week or so, any advice for this newbie to the area? Will be fishin out of our little 15' Montauk so say hello if you see us!

Friend has been up fishing since Friday. Fair number of small springs around are the reports. Anchovies close to the bottom have been doing the best for them. Said they have halibut fished for a total of 18 hours in the sound and 5-6 miles out with Zero success..... yikes.

BBB

Heading out Thursday from North Saanich, hopefully weather permitting will be fishing Friday! First time to the Sound, and should be around for a week or so, any advice for this newbie to the area? Will be fishin out of our little 15' Montauk so say hello if you see us!
My advice if you are driving a 15 footer be darn careful going through Nahmint, it really, really blows up in there in the afternoon when the weather is warm in Port Alberni. Best time is early morning and not to try coming back any later than noonish. It can be very nasty. Also watch out for logs!

My advice if you are driving a 15 footer be darn careful going through Nahmint, it really, really blows up in there in the afternoon when the weather is warm in Port Alberni. Best time is early morning and not to try coming back any later than noonish. It can be very nasty. Also watch out for logs!
Thanks for the heads up. Going to be on our big boat Reelin Time to get to the sound and back and using the Whaler just for fishin but will keep three eyes open for sure!! Don't think we will get that far down towards Port Alberni as we are coming around Victoria from North Saanich thru Juan de Fuca then up the West coast to Barclay Sound, plan on hitting Effingham area and a couple others.....unless there are better ideas ???

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Going to be on our big boat Reelin Time to get to the sound and back and using the Whaler just for fishin but will keep three eyes open for sure!! Don't think we will get that far down towards Port Alberni as we are coming around Victoria from North Saanich thru Juan de Fuca then up the West coast to Barclay Sound, plan on hitting Effingham area and a couple others.....unless there are better ideas ???
Effingham was good for us on Saturday. Got our six in a couple hours. Just one other boat around. Sunday morning there was about 25 boats there and fishing was much slower. Went to Fleming to get our fish on Sunday. Small chovies and 3.5" spoons were the ticket.

Lots of little squid on the lines but white hootchie only got one hit for us all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back