2019 Galiano Salmon Classic - Sat. May 25th

tincan

Well, it looks like some derbies are planning to go ahead including the Galiano derby on May 25th out of Montague Harbour.

Info is on the facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/galianosalmonclassic/

I've already signed up and hope to see a bunch of other SFBC members there this year again!

Attachments

• 2019 galiano salmon classic poster - updated Mar19.JPG
    2019 galiano salmon classic poster - updated Mar19.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 50
Is there moorage available? I know there's mooring balls in the harbor but wondering if there's slips at the marina. Might be coming with a crew of dudes. @tincan

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply there, @Rain City . Glad you sorted out tix and moorage.

For others looking for moorage you can contact Montague Harbour Marina directly and ask for Amber. The best email for her is info@montagueharbour.com

For tickets to the derby you can buy them online here - https://www.psf.ca/event/2019-galiano-salmon-classic or if you've on Galiano and want to visit Amber at the marina I think she is collecting cash for those who want to stop by and do it that way.

Any body have a map or link to a map of the fishing boundaries for this derby? Thanks.

New post from the Galiano Derby facebook page:

OK, the derby is now just over 2 weeks away! We are excited to get out there and catch (and release) some salmon and have a great time doing so.

Attached is the 2019 Official Rules Sheet. Please save a copy on your phone or print it out. Given the recent regulatory changes we had to get creative in coming up with a new catch and release format. There were a lot of options kicked around but ultimately we are going with one that prioritizes fun, fish safety, and honesty above a more tightly patrolled event.

Full details attached but all you need to know is that if you catch a chinook salmon you must take a picture of the fish (either in the water or in the boat with a tape measure showing the length of the fish to the nearest cm) and then show that picture to derby officials prior to 5pm at Montague Harbour. Whether your fish is 62cm, 68cm, 78cm or any other length, you have a good chance to win a great prize! In many case, a smaller fish will mean a better prize than a larger fish so there's no incentive to 'stretch' the tape measure
1f642.png
:)

There are also hidden weight prizes for retained lingcod and halibut (within DFO regulations of course).

If you haven't registered yet get on it!!! Visit the link below:
https://www.psf.ca/event/2019-galiano-salmon-classic
OR, sign up in person with Amber at Montague Harbour Marina on Galiano Island.

2019 Official Rules - FINAL.JPG

Always a fun event! Highly recommend, will be there again this year! Good food, good beer and lots of laughs.

Soooooo what's the hot spot looking like for the derby? You know just incase you guys want to get a close look at the new rig ;). Exact coordinates please.

Well, I think it was last year that the winning fish came on the inside of galiano in a spot rarely fished for salmon so who knows??? I imagine if the weather is good there will be a few boats at porlier and salamanca and for those who wanna travel up to thrasher I hear there some space to fish up there these days too ;) Always some fish caught on the inside as well as all of the locals have their secret spots that seem to produce. Good luck to all and see you on the water saturday!

Soooooo what's the hot spot looking like for the derby? You know just incase you guys want to get a close look at the new rig ;). Exact coordinates please.

Had a great time. Fishing was lights out at Porlier. Picked up a TR3 in the silent auction for $550! And yes alledgedly the winning fish was 88cm which he had two of. Got them down South, alledgedly.

Had a great time at the derby, fishing was unreal, couldn’t keep them off. Started with bait and 4 lines down at Salamanca but that quickly changed to spoons and 2 lines in water. 4th time attending, will be there next year! Thanks to all the sponsors and organizers.

Back