2019 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out for the first time this year on the weekend. Spent the afternoon trolling around Ballenas trying all the standby rigs. Caught and released a nice 8-10 lb spring at 85' on the Scotty on a jelly flasher and a green / white hootchie. Big items on the sounder.
Thanks for the update BIGDOGG1 ,I’ll report back tonight

Had a great day on the water Thursday. Sun was out calm seas. We dropped the anchor for hali for the morning with no success, but switched to salmon fishing in the afternoon and boated three nice springs off the north hump in under two hours. All fish on plugs. Let's get these reports going! They may tell us we cant take any home, but they haven't told us we cant fish!! Also, I was in FC store to pick up a spreader bar, and it was pretty evident their business is hurting. Let's all make an effort to shop local and avoid cabelas/Canadian tire and such. These are tough times for local tackle shops so let's do what we can to rally around them. Cheers.

Had a great day on the water Thursday. Sun was out calm seas. We dropped the anchor for hali for the morning with no success, but switched to salmon fishing in the afternoon and boated three nice springs off the north hump in under two hours. All fish on plugs. Let's get these reports going! They may tell us we cant take any home, but they haven't told us we cant fish!! Also, I was in FC store to pick up a spreader bar, and it was pretty evident their business is hurting. Let's all make an effort to shop local and avoid cabelas/Canadian tire and such. These are tough times for local tackle shops so let's do what we can to rally around them. Cheers.

Right on coyotespoon. I know it’s hard for people to get used to but catch and release is a way of life for a lot of us. I spend 75% of my time on catch and release walleye waters as do most people fishing around here, it’s hasn't slowed people down. It’s fishing people, without the hassle of having to clean fish lol. Get out there and enjoy some fishing. It’s buzzing with guys getting their boats out of storage right now everybody getting ready for opening weekend (May 15) We can’t keep our favourite species but we don’t care, we still fish and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Right coyotespoon. I know it’s hard for people to get used to but catch and release is a way of life for a lot of us. I spend 75% of my time on catch and release walleye waters as do most people fishing around here, it’s hasn't slowed people down. It’s fishing people, without the hassle of having to clean fish lol. Get out there and enjoy some fishing. It’s buzzing with guys getting their boats out of storage right now everybody getting ready for opening weekend (May 15) We can’t keep our favourite species but we don’t care, we still fish and enjoy it.
If this closure actually made any kind of sense around conservation, then I think most people on this forum would be supportive. If the Fisheries Minister was actually doing some measures to improve the stocks of concern, which are a very small amount of the actual Chinook stocks in our Waters, then I think many of us would be backing him up on his decision. This is purely a political closure, that is having devastating effects on many BC businesses who give back tenfold to salmon conservation! We are seeing a death blow dealt to British Columbian culture. The truth of the matter is it's purely a political maneuver that's just built around Optics!

I agree coyote spoon for continuing to support the local tackle shops and other businesses around salmon fishing that are suffering!

Here's a bit more info to familiarize you with the situation:

squamishchief.com/news/local-news/angered-anglers-protest-catch-and-release-chinook-rules-in-north-vancouver-1.23811496

Last edited:
If this closure actually made any kind of sense around conservation, then I think most people on this forum would be supportive. If the Fisheries Minister was actually doing some measures to improve the stocks of concern, which are a very small amount of the actual Chinook stocks in our Waters, then I think many of us would be backing him up on his decision. This is purely a political closure, that is having devastating effects on many BC businesses who give back tenfold to salmon conservation! We are seeing a death blow dealt to British Columbian culture. The truth of the matter is it's purely a political maneuver that's just built around Optics!

I agree coyote spoon for continuing to support the local tackle shops and other businesses around salmon fishing that are suffering!

Here's a bit more info to familiarize you with the situation:

squamishchief.com/news/local-news/angered-anglers-protest-catch-and-release-chinook-rules-in-north-vancouver-1.23811496

Coho,, I’ve been an active member ont his site for years, I’ve been helping you guys along with this fight, I’ve sent in my letter a couple months ago in regards to the proposed closures that were coming. I’m very aware of what’s going on with this closure and it’s effect on the west coast. I’m not a stranger to the area. Still for those that enjoy fishing and being out there there are still fishing opportunities to be had. Get out there, enjoy some time out of doors, get on the waters, get some slime on your hands, it will make you feel better.

Coho,, I’ve been an active member ont his site for years, I’ve been helping you guys along with this fight, I’ve sent in my letter a couple months ago in regards to the proposed closures that were coming. I’m very aware of what’s going on with this closure and it’s effect on the west coast. I’m not a stranger to the area. Still for those that enjoy fishing and being out there there are still fishing opportunities to be had. Get out there, enjoy some time out of doors, get on the waters, get some slime on your hands, it will make you feel better.
I'm a very passionate steelhead Angler and I know all about catch and release. I also lived in the east for a number of years and fished for walleye, pike, lake trout and bass. I often practiced strictly catch-and-release, even when it wasn't closed to harvest. I had the option if I chose to harvest a fish, which I did do.

I know that you are active on this forum for sure and thank you!

We are not asking for a mass Harvest of Chinook salmon. We've looked at the data very carefully from DNA creel survey and Avid Angler DNA which is DFO own data. The Chinook being caught in most South Coast waters are less than .063% of our total annual catch. There is an opportunity for the Harvest of one chinook salmon a day or at least one Hatchery Chinook salmon a day. It's part of the overall experience in my opinion to be able to catch salmon have the choice to release them but also be able to bring one home. For myself when I sit down and have a meal of a fresh-caught salmon with my family or friends that join us, it's a whole cultural and social experience. I totally understand what you're saying about catch release but I think it feels a bit like we're being told to take our medicine and be happy.

A new tide has turned and BC Chinook fisherman or woman are not going to take Jonathan Wilkinson playing politics with the recreational Chinook salmon Fishery. There's zero recovery plan other than the Optics of closing the recreational Fishery!

Late report but wanted to get it up because it’s sad that it is May and there hasn’t been a report for 20 days.

Out in front for a quick fish on Sunday from 7:30pm to 9:00pm. Started at the humps and had a double header 10 mins after dropping in. One fell off right away and I released a 10lber. Started trolling again and before I could get a second line in the starboard rod went and I released a 16lber. Just after I got both lines back down something hit and missed and then 15 mins later another one was on and I released a 12lber. Released one more after that and got home in time to watch game of thrones.
All fish were on spoons from 120 to 140.

Gonna try to get out this afternoon if the wind lays down. Gonna try to jig up a ling over sangster way, maybe spend the night at lasquiti. Anyone know a good spot to tie up for the night?

Gonna try to get out this afternoon if the wind lays down. Gonna try to jig up a ling over sangster way, maybe spend the night at lasquiti. Anyone know a good spot to tie up for the night?
We have stayed at the government dock on Lasqueti Island. It's right next the Lasqueti Hotel and Pub, so you can grab dinner if you want. Good fishing right out front too!

Been here by land. Took the mountain bikes over for a ride and seems like a nice sheltered spot. 20190525_224501.jpg Screenshot_20190525-224528_Maps.jpg

Thanks for the responses, checked out squitty bay but no space in there, ended up at the government dock in false bay. Tried for a ling off south sangster but no luck. Spent night at the dock and then most of today trying for lings around north end of lasquieti no luck. Just set up to troll the humps, one coho down deep right away and one other bite so far

Ended up getting into 5 undersized Chinook and 1 coho off the north hump, beauty afternoon out there, glassy water. Was nice to finally get the boat out and settle into the new zone. Looking forward to getting out a little more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back