2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late Report...
Fished Thrasher Friday night and Saturday Morning...not as productive for me as past two weeks...
Tried all depths and both spoons and hootchies. Water depth 100 - 500. Rigger depth 50-220.
Friday 330-730pm - 2 undersized
Saturday 730-1200pm - 3 undersized
Won’t be fishing this upcoming long, but will be back at it the following weekend...tightlines till then...

Over at Thrasher for our annual Victoria Day weekend trip to Silva Bay. Very strange to be out here with only a handful of other boats on a nice day. Fishing offshore of the reef. Had about 10 on with 1/2 dozen to the boat. Most borderline legal, a couple smaller. A variety of spackleback hoochies and spoons have worked at various depths between 100 and 200 ft. Whales showed up south of the reef and the bite has slowed down.

Over at Thrasher for our annual Victoria Day weekend trip to Silva Bay. Very strange to be out here with only a handful of other boats on a nice day. Fishing offshore of the reef. Had about 10 on with 1/2 dozen to the boat. Most borderline legal, a couple smaller. A variety of spackleback hoochies and spoons have worked at various depths between 100 and 200 ft. Whales showed up south of the reef and the bite has slowed down.
Is the restaurant at Silva open yet?

I was one of the other boats off thrasher today. It was lights out for springs from 9 am til 1130 on anchovies and pink / white hoochies 90 to 120 in the outer bands around 600". Some big currents with a big tide today.

Then we headed to the reefs for lings and we limited out in 10 mins at full slack plus 10 mins. Had one more to the boat off a double header and sent it back as gently as we could. Lots of commercial prawn traps and I hear the recreation guys are getting near shut out.

The pub is only a foundation it appears

I would have stayed over but had to run back

Last edited:
Fishing Gabriola this morning. Six to the boat so far from 9:30 - 11:30, a couple low teens among them. Three were clipped. Beautiful conditions, and I see two other boats. And, no, the restaurant is not open yet. But they’re starting construction on it “soon”, lol.

We headed over to Thrasher on Sunday for some Ling Fishing, disappointed to see the 3 usual Asian super jiggers found my little spot. Had a tough go finding our lings but got them in the end. Crabbing was great, even though we where in the same area as a native crabber. They didn't look too happy to see use start pulling traps in the area we got buzzed has he headed off. Guessing he wasn't legally fishing as his trap lines where unmarked.

use extra big hooks during this catch and release times....
it does save fish.
i,m ex commie troller 50 yrs and forget all the other crap studys..
believe me a big hook will hook on side of mouth and jaw and not gill..
it saves fish.
hold leader in left hand and gaff in other , put gaff around leader line and push left hand away from body and pull gaff towards body.
gaff will slide down line to go hook to hook and bingo fish is off without having to net or touch it...no blood.
get hand close to lure and wrap around line.. try it ...its the commie way. and works like a dream.
and big black or blue hooks fish well...and make lure swim better. buy a box of open eye blues...change them when they start rust up.
anyone using small hooks or triple hooks is crazy for a release fishery.

use extra big hooks during this catch and release times....
it does save fish.
i,m ex commie troller 50 yrs and forget all the other crap studys..
believe me a big hook will hook on side of mouth and jaw and not gill..
it saves fish.
hold leader in left hand and gaff in other , put gaff around leader line and push left hand away from body and pull gaff towards body.
gaff will slide down line to go hook to hook and bingo fish is off without having to net or touch it...no blood.
get hand close to lure and wrap around line.. try it ...its the commie way. and works like a dream.
and big black or blue hooks fish well...and make lure swim better. buy a box of open eye blues...change them when they start rust up.
anyone using small hooks or triple hooks is crazy for a release fishery.
How big for hootchies? I am thinking about a single siwash. Would you shorten up your leader to account for the additional weight? I normally run mine 36" from the nose of the hootchie to the swivel but have been advised to run them shorter on bigger cuttlefish guys

As the winds weren’t looking promising for my only free day this weekend, which would be Sunday....I decided to head out to Thrasher straight from work today...
Fished from 615-830pm
Water depth 200-300
Rigged Depth 100-120
Fished 3.5” Spoons
Hooked into 10+
Landed 8
6 were easily keeper size
All Chinook
As I was fishing solo and releasing off the side of the boat, I wasn’t really paying attention to whether they were clipped.
Currently tied up at Silva Bay.
Will wake up early and hopefully fish from 6-10am...told the boss that I would be at work by 12pm :)
Will let you all know how tomorrow morning goes.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back