2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why there are fishing guides, for J/Q public to pay actual costs instead of the reasonable friendship price. Not only were they looking to stiff you for the cost, I bet once the boat got back to the dock they would disappear leaving you to clean the boat, process the fish and get the gear ready for the next day. I used to take friends however it became just to frustrating. Not to mention the pressure for catching fish for the people who fish once a year and purchasing a license entitles them to a daily and possession limit.

Consider yourself lucky they cancelled. I have found it far more rewarding to volunteer a couple trips a year for under privileged kids as well as wounded Vets.

You dodged a bullet......

After years of mooches fishing with me, I now only fish with friends who I trust and enjoy.

On the way back from the nook. Went out to 5 mile to try and catch some Hali’s , not a nibble . Not much happening with salmon fishing, heard of one 23 lb coming in from swale area. Prawning and crabbing where good. The weather was pretty good considering what the weather forecast was suppose to be. The road going in is getting beat up.

On the way back from the nook. Went out to 5 mile to try and catch some Hali’s , not a nibble . Not much happening with salmon fishing, heard of one 23 lb coming in from swale area. Prawning and crabbing where good. The weather was pretty good considering what the weather forecast was suppose to be. The road going in is getting beat up.
I thought commercial prawning was open and no recreation nets allowed during the commercial opening? I thought I read that on here.

Don't feel bad Morgan. Your offer was beyond fair. I don't know why it is that some people are of the mind set that $200 per person for a trip like that is unreasonable. I don't think they really put a lot of thought into what it costs the boat owner asides from accommodations to go fishing on the west coast. Maybe you should have offered them a bunkhouse room at the Seabeam for $35 a night. Still doesn't cover fuel costs. I know my boat costs almost $200 to fill, and I only have an 18 ft Campion 542. My truck is another $200 to fill. I gave up asking people who I know dicker at costs. **** em

Don't feel bad Morgan. Your offer was beyond fair. I don't know why it is that some people are of the mind set that $200 per person for a trip like that is unreasonable. I don't think they really put a lot of thought into what it costs the boat owner asides from accommodations to go fishing on the west coast. Maybe you should have offered them a bunkhouse room at the Seabeam for $35 a night. Still doesn't cover fuel costs. I know my boat costs almost $200 to fill, and I only have an 18 ft Campion 542. My truck is another $200 to fill. I gave up asking people who I know dicker at costs. **** em

Reminds me of a time I loaded up, drove from Nanaimo to parksville to pick up a bud, went to Alberni for a limit of sockeye and then back home. He gave $20...?

Safe to say, It was the last time...

More reports from Bam? Be out in a few weeks!

Some tough “ friends” on here.

Personally when I take a friend or a bud out I don't consider it an expense nor do I expect anything from them. They are a friend what comes around goes around. If they would be a consistent user then maybe I would ask for some assistance or just quit taking them but certainly not just for the occasional outing.

In this case of taking out friends of a friend well that’s a little different, they can certainly help out, I’m not sure I could put a price on it but some reimbursement would certainly be expected.

Last edited:
When I took my friends out. Usually max 2. The deal was they buy all the beer drinks and food. I covered all the gas etc. Obviously I paid for a lot more. But they had to run around getting supplies while I prepped the boat. Seemed to work out. Everyone was happy and with that the fish usually hit the deck.
Sorry didn't realize I was in reports.
Admin you can delete my post

Last edited:
So this happened. A buddy from work and his wife had a couple in visiting from Atlanta Georgia. He's a big fisherman the others not so much. I offered to take them up to bamfield for the long weekend as I thought it would be awesome experience for them. I said I'd organize everything and we could split the expenses with which my buddy agreed. I included my travel and cabin costs(since my wife ain't coming and I'm essentially a host that has to do it all) and it worked out to about 1000$ for the five of us for 3 nights some fishing and all meals. I told them last night it would be about 200$ per person which I assumed was reasonable. Well I woke up this morning with a text saying the Americans couldn't afford to go and they were bitter and they weren't going to get up for their ferry reservation. I tried phoning them this morning and texted I would cover some for them and said 100$ per person but got no response. I'm pretty sure they didn't get on the 745 ferry. So was I being unreasonable. I think my offer and the opportunity to do a bamfield trip was more than fair. What do you guys think

dicks, sound like trump voters to me.

Was out in the sound for the weekend. We didn't fish much, but when we did we caught fish. Seems there's lots of small hatchery springs around. Tried Kirby and Vernon Bay...both were both good. Small spoons worked for us.

Ya Dick's. Ok report
Fished a few different spots around the sound.
Kirby was most productive for me. Got 2 legal sized fish there twice. Hit 1 decent fish at the wall in the midday flood tide. Went to whittlestone 1 morning and got a small fish on until whiskers grabbed it and ran 100 yards. Every year he gets me for fish there but it's always been a good spot for me. A buddy drove up from Victoria so Sunday we trolled Beale. He dragged a hootchie on bottom and we hooked a whole variety of bottom fish. Including a nice legal ling a couple more cod and a bunch of sea bass. We went out a lil offshore just before the high slack thinking we'd try to troll up a hali. No luck for hali but did hook a nice 14 lb hatchery spring. Outside 1 mile limit so released. Overall pretty slow. All the fish inside were pretty small. 6-10lbs. All hatchery which is a good sign. Most bait was at the wall. There was some nice balls there. Tried a bunch of depths but 48 seemed to get the most fish. Didnt throw a lot of gear down. Skinny gs in green nickel and bon chovie hit fish. The one fish that was bleeding and I kept had squid in the stomach and we got the 14 on a hootchie off shore so they may be a good option to try as I didn't run one inside. Tight lines mo

So this happened. A buddy from work and his wife had a couple in visiting from Atlanta Georgia. He's a big fisherman the others not so much. I offered to take them up to bamfield for the long weekend as I thought it would be awesome experience for them. I said I'd organize everything and we could split the expenses with which my buddy agreed. I included my travel and cabin costs(since my wife ain't coming and I'm essentially a host that has to do it all) and it worked out to about 1000$ for the five of us for 3 nights some fishing and all meals. I told them last night it would be about 200$ per person which I assumed was reasonable. Well I woke up this morning with a text saying the Americans couldn't afford to go and they were bitter and they weren't going to get up for their ferry reservation. I tried phoning them this morning and texted I would cover some for them and said 100$ per person but got no response. I'm pretty sure they didn't get on the 745 ferry. So was I being unreasonable. I think my offer and the opportunity to do a bamfield trip was more than fair. What do you guys think

Sounds reasonable. You wanted to cover most of your costs, keep it a pleasure craft situation. Some people are just too cheap. As Codfather put it.. they can stay on land.

May try to run out tomorrow and spend the night. Any reports from the past couple days ?

May try to run out tomorrow and spend the night. Any reports from the past couple days ?

We were there Sunday/Monday. Salmon fishing was tuff... we picked up the odd one here and there but nothing to put in the cooler. Also fished 5 mile and 7 mile for Hali without a bite... luckily we found a couple lings on the way back or we would of came home empty handed...

There was huge bait balls everywhere we fished so there’s no reason there shouldn’t be fish in the sound...

Lots of 8/12 pound chinooks at Kirby lots of bait 5 inch herring not the small bait we are use to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back