Port Moody Boat Launch Follie

So many things wrong there.

Some people should stay off the water, way safer for them and everyone else.

No patients or sympathy for stupid, it pisses me off is all.

Towing capacity of an Outlander PHEV is 1500lbs.

Even that small Bayliner + trailer is over that. DRY its gotta be a 2500lb package.

I beleive they have push button break thing, not a mechanical break. I wonder if that let loose while he was in the boat.

The Outlander also has an 'auto hold' that ONLY works when the drive's seatbelt is on. For when you are at a stop light on a hill, you can push the button beside the parking break button by the shifter that will hold you from rolling back.

I wonder if he didn't make his mistake there. Something like he hit the autohold instead of the ebreak and away she went...

Last edited:
He started pulling it out with the trim down. Got out to trim it up leaving the car in neutral with the e-brake on. When he picked up the leg he lost the traction it was providing and down he went.

I've seen that 'getting clipped by the truck door when jumping out' trick on Youtube before he's lucky he wasn't seriously injured.

So many things wrong there.

Some people should stay off the water, way safer for them and everyone else.

No patients or sympathy for stupid, it pisses me off is all.
so many people towing over weight with the wrong rigs for the job,see it all the time on the roads,you want a big boat or trailer make you have the tow rig you need to tow it safely,few years back coming back from port albernie,a guy was towing a 26 ft aluminum pilot house with twin 250 in the back with a Toyota Tacoma the rear bumper was almost touching the ground,not sure how he made it going up the hump as I pass him way before at the bottom

Looks like he didn't trim that leg up either when originally pulling it out of the water cause as it slides back down into the water you can hear the leg/prop banging against the concrete.

Turns out it was an electric vehicle and it caught on fire when they towed it out of the water:
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/25...SbPZItdWeEjQ4FOKcxcowfX3GxG_pYSc7WKTNyvRfBVxE

View attachment 45421

I don’t think that’s the leg dragging that’s the engine running,, what a goof.

Can you imagine how unsafe our waterways are with incompetence like this. His boat launch skills are likely an indicator of his skill as a captain on the water.

My daughter saw the whole thing unfold.
He was pulling out. Heard the damage
Being done. Hastily applied the e brake
And proceeded " on the sloped ramp"
to lift the leg but this was holding the
Rig in place .
Situations like this go undocumented
All the time. Past the point of no return
And a hail Mary Noooooo...!
Is proclaimed.

Sucks. Also sucks that it made the news. Nothing adds more salt to the wound than public humiliation.

A lot of us are lucky to have grown up around boats and had dads that showed us how things work. Imagine getting into boating completely green, without knowing how things are supposed to be done! There'd be screw-ups! Like this poor guy.

Sucks. Also sucks that it made the news. Nothing adds more salt to the wound than public humiliation.

A lot of us are lucky to have grown up around boats and had dads that showed us how things work. Imagine getting into boating completely green, without knowing how things are supposed to be done! There'd be screw-ups! Like this poor guy.
Totally agree with that.
The only positive aspect is that he’s still alive. Poor guy.

Back