Stop posting about fishing lingcod...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice haul!
Did you take them up the ramp and let The Hatch cook some up for you while you had a soda?

Ling Cod are migratory so i wouldn't get too worried....there's lots of them in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes it slows way down for them where i fish and then it just picks up like crazy!
I had always thought the opposite, so I did a little googling... During the 1chinook/day period last summer, many of our guests wanted to supplement the reduction with lingcod, and I definitely noticed the local population take a substantial hit.

Anyways my googlery lead me to this:

"Lingcod Life History
Lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are unique to the west coast of North America, with the centre of abundance off the coast of British Columbia. They are found on the bottom with most individuals occupying rocky areas at depths of 10-100 m. Tagging studies have shown that lingcod are a largely non-migratory species, with colonization and recruitment occurring in localized areas only.

Starting in October, lingcod migrate to nearshore spawning grounds. The males migrate first, and establish nest sites in strong current areas in rock crevices or on ledges. Spawning takes place between December and March, and females leave the nest site immediately after depositing eggs. Males actively defend the nest from predators until the eggs hatch in early March through late April."

copy/pasted from: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/profiles-profils/lingcod-morue-lingue-eng.html

Nice catch and Fishtofino knows where and how to catch them...
wonder how long it will be til these bottom fish will be fished to or near extinction or even more restrictive measures are taken by DFO?
View attachment 45631
What about all the commercial boats that harvest 20,000 lbs on 7-10 days trip? Are you going to criticize them too?
I work hard using my 30 plus years of experience in the area to find those fish and always stay within the regulations.

I agree with fogged in. You jackasses who keep posting ling cod pics are going to screw every one else. Do you not think DFO watches thus site. Ya can't fix stupid.

What about all the commercial boats that harvest 20,000 lbs on 7-10 days trip? Are you going to criticize them too?
I work hard using my 30 plus years of experience in the area to find those fish and always stay within the regulations.

Thanks you it seems some people on here have not read the Groundfish IFMP. The rec sector is assigned a quota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back