2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fishing report thread, and has nothing to do with nets in the Fraser
admin can you fix ?

Scott is right...We get that there is lots of anger out there but there are plenty of threads already dealing with this in the Conservation section. Let's keep the report threads as they are intended.

The island outfitters report states only approx 20% success rate for hali and some guys are fishing 600 feet deep to find them... are they deeper in the winter and maybe haven't made it to the shallows yet?

There are just not a lot of halibut in JDF East this year. Myself, and several other top guides are spinning our wheels. The 600 foot guy is also not hitting them with any great regularity. I found a good patch of them over the weekend, but who knows if they will be there after the next set of tides. They migrate to the continental shelf to spawn, but historicly, I have caught them at all depths all year. Around Victoria, the most productive depths are for me, 180 feet to 350. But I have never been a shallow water hali fisherman, I go cross eyed and pass out if I toss the anchor in say 80 feet like the guys who do well of Sombrio do. I have caught Hali salmon fishing in as shallow as 40 feet of water too.

I don't think re-jigging an anchor setup to fish 400 plus feet is a secret to success, plus the bulk of super deep spots are in shipping lanes which presents it's own set of risks.

Appreciate the feedback last Chance :) it's somewhat comforting to know the guides are struggling a bit too lol... ...boy do I miss salmon fishing :(

I'm 3 for 6 trips this year so far. (3 skunks and 3 single catch trips)
There seems to be twice the number of boats hali fishing year over year for the past 5 or so years. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Sounds like Renfrew is producing good sizes and good numbers recently.

Out hunting hali again today, today went to an old, new spot this year. No more mud hole, hard bottom again, better is no commercial traffic wanting to pucker me with close ship calls. Released 1 close to 30 and another line screaming long line release. Looking for as close to legal as possible now.

There were TONS of whale harassers all over. Cant believe the noise from the rooster tail throwing boats, and the speed of the new black screamers.

Current was OK, getting faster daily now but water like glass. Awesome day.

HM

Out in a friends boat yesterday to Constance for the day. Almost no other boats fishing all day, either anchored or for salmon. Nothing but a large Dogfish and a Ratfish. Got Creel Surveyed at the Esq. ramp.

Last edited:
Great fishing on the flats today! Had 2 spunky 10# to the boat and lost another one half way in. Great fights especially without flasher. Sad though to throw these nice clipped US hatch fish back. Even sader: on the May long weekend with no wind at 7:50am I was the only trailer at the Esquimalt Anglers ramp! When I came back 11:30 there were 6 incl mine. Oh boy! I had the flats to myself and one guide most morning, until Mr. Craven showed up! lol

Sorry I missed you Chris, I do remember seeing a nice looking Arima heading west
around that time.
I also released a nice clipped low teener and had a couple bites that didn't stick.
This time of year the flats should have been busy, When I left at 12:30
there was no one left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back