Time to make a political stand

Apparently any thread even touching on politics I start gets deleted on here (eyeroll).

By election last night very tough for ndp and liberals. In a way good for conservatives. Let’s just hope greens don’t win many seats but suck votes from ndp and liberals.
I think every Candidate in your riding needs to be asked and answer a direct question on thier position in regards to the Salmon Sports Fishery otherwise you just replacing one bullshiter with another. Have you asked the Conservative Candidate in your riding what thier position on this issue is?

No candidate will answer ANY question, only a dumb fool believes they will. Even on the off chance they do answer, it will be forgotten as soon as they win. What I DO know is that I had a HELL of a lot MORE opportunity to participate in my love of outdoor sports under the last Gov. Call me names, cry or say what you want, no Gov has done anything REAL to increase the resource. Current Gov HAS reallocated what's left and not to me. Scares me to hell to even think current Gov gets another 4 years to reallocate me out of Canada.

HM

Get out and talk to your conservative candidate. They will listen, tell them you want habitat enhancement. DFO is nothing but the ministers and prime ministers puppet. They do what they are told total sheep. It’s our only chance boys! Call, email, letter right. To sheer not the liberals they could care less about us! Fines for illegal bought fish! Habitat enhancement! Officers on the fraser day and night!

Get out and talk to your conservative candidate. They will listen, tell them you want habitat enhancement. DFO is nothing but the ministers and prime ministers puppet. They do what they are told total sheep. It’s our only chance boys! Call, email, letter right. To sheer not the liberals they could care less about us! Fines for illegal bought fish! Habitat enhancement! Officers on the fraser day and night!
Anyone been able to get in contact with the North Island Rep? I’ve left a couple messages and sent emails.

Thanks.

The Conservatives are actively listening to us. Working to organize a session with their candidates and Fisheries Critic in June to help bring them up to speed on the factual issues, provide a balanced perspective on what the current approach is doing to recreational, commercial and FN fisheries. We need to return to abundance, and stop messing around with this silly wild salmon policy as it is currently being implemented (avoidance of using hatcheries at almost any price). There are times and places where we need to use every tool in the tool kit when runs of salmon get into real trouble due to climate change impacts. We need a government in Ottawa that tries hard to achieve a balance, and isn't afraid to invest serious capital and make bold decisions to help return us to abundance.

Ask the of they are willing to invest $5B into Fraser habitat. If not, walk away. Current govt found $4.5B just like that for a useless pipeline so they can surely find $5B for one of the greatest salmon rivers in the world. One would think.

Ask the of they are willing to invest $5B into Fraser habitat. If not, walk away. Current govt found $4.5B just like that for a useless pipeline so they can surely find $5B for one of the greatest salmon rivers in the world. One would think.
100% agree...if we cared, really cared about salmon we would invest in serious plans to bring about abundance again. So far, while the 5 year $142 million investment is better than nothing, my concern is we won't really accomplish much of anything that improves actual productivity.

CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATE North Vancouver........
Lets hear from you. !!!!

Beat Wilkinson out of his SEAT. hes a bottom dweller.
And has Proven USELESS to the well being of FRASER RIVER CHINOOK. The Mistruths from him continue. Besides kicking BC Tourism in the Guts.

Were all looking forward to a NEW Goverment. One that looks after everyone......without bias or favourtism.

Some of the upper Fraser triubutarys had less
Then 20 spawners last year and some of them had less then 1 or two.

These tributary don’t need habitat restoration they need fish something now that’s not going to fix itself. When a stock gets below 100 pairs of spawners it’s at risk of genetic bottle necking.

The only solution is at this point to transplant other chinook populations.

Some of the upper Fraser triubutarys had less
Then 20 spawners last year and some of them had less then 1 or two.

These tributary don’t need habitat restoration they need fish something now that’s not going to fix itself. When a stock gets below 100 pairs of spawners it’s at risk of genetic bottle necking.

The only solution is at this point to transplant other chinook populations.

Or maybe don’t net them all in the river?

Sent a great profanity laden email to Wilkinson yesterday! Felt great! I ask all you red Necker’s to do the same, being professional and nice has gotten us nothing! Let them have it! Believe me it feels good..let those morons know how pissed we voters are!

North island rep finally got back to me. They are bringing Todd Doherty out in June to have a meeting. Ive volunteered my time and truck to help with signage in September. They asked if your voting conservative to sign up on their page so they can focus their door knockers on other people.

The Conservatives are actively listening to us. Working to organize a session with their candidates and Fisheries Critic in June to help bring them up to speed on the factual issues, provide a balanced perspective on what the current approach is doing to recreational, commercial and FN fisheries. We need to return to abundance, and stop messing around with this silly wild salmon policy as it is currently being implemented (avoidance of using hatcheries at almost any price). There are times and places where we need to use every tool in the tool kit when runs of salmon get into real trouble due to climate change impacts. We need a government in Ottawa that tries hard to achieve a balance, and isn't afraid to invest serious capital and make bold decisions to help return us to abundance.

I'm sorry but where was the balance the last time the conservatives were in power? What exactly did they do to improve the long term prospects for our fishery? Habitat? Oh wait they removed habitat from the fisheries act and got rid of nearly all the habitat bios in DFO. Climate change? Crickets...and it sounds like the present conservatives are looking at reversing the environmental progress that has been made in favour of heavy industry.

You'll have to forgive me, a vote for the conservatives is a nail in the coffin. They will defund dfo, they will destroy environmental protections, they will push us further down the road to salmon oblivion. To expect anything less is to completely ignore the last time they were in.

We need a bold government that will enshrine habitat protections, take climate change seriously, deal with the hard issues to bridge the survival gap (predators), and enshrine a basic fishery for Canadians that respects FSC rights. And above all, trust the hard fought science advice given by engaged scientists.

Last edited:
Oh wait they removed habitat from the fisheries act and got rid of nearly all the habitat bios in DFO. Climate change? Crickets

We’re you one? How many chinook on average do you harvest a year? Are you personally effected by the current closures?

We get two choices liberals or conservatives.

Last edited:
1) No
2) 10
3) Yes

There are more than 2, the problem is we think there are only 2, and we aren't capable of shaping policy because of tunnel vision.

Has the SFI or SFAB met with either the NDP or Greens or Peoples Party representatives? Not pointing fingers just curious.

You get a majority government, either way our voices will be drowned out by the rest of Canada. Neither the liberals or conservatives have demonstrated any leadership to secure the future of our fisheries.

The whole Island pretty much voted for the NDP last federal election, what did it get them?

any now your asking people what to do the same?

Last edited:
if we had that "useless" pipeline the govt would have a lot more loot to spend on other things like fish habitat

if we had that "useless" pipeline the govt would have a lot more loot to spend on other things like fish habitat

As I understand it, they payed almost a billion dollars over value for that pipeline. Even with buying it, if the government had done its due diligence and payed actual market value for it, that would be a billion that could have been spent on west coast salmon habitat, salmon enhancement and bribing/compensating the lower Fraser FN's not to net fish them to extinction, while still maintaining a low impact public fishery and its annual billion dollar plus contribution to the economy of Coastal BC.

Last edited:
1) No
2) 10
3) Yes

There are more than 2, the problem is we think there are only 2, and we aren't capable of shaping policy because of tunnel vision.

Has the SFI or SFAB met with either the NDP or Greens or Peoples Party representatives? Not pointing fingers just curious.

You get a majority government, either way our voices will be drowned out by the rest of Canada. Neither the liberals or conservatives have demonstrated any leadership to secure the future of our fisheries.
Yes met with the NDP also, and what are you doing about meeting with all the parties? And I agree with you that the Conservative track record last time out was poor on the Fisheries front....the way to change that is to influence their thinking going into an election. While there was more investment under the Liberals, there was also a very strong ENGO alliance that helped bring about very damaging to the recreational fishery policy decisions. I think we can reasonably predict where 4 more years of JT will get our fishery...and frankly 4 more years of this poorly constructed Chinook recovery plan will get us upper Fraser Chinook extinction. Their plan is to close fisheries, play a bit with some habitat work that would take 10 - 20 years to realize a benefit and hope for better ocean conditions and lower pinniped predation. Its a wing and a prayer plan. Chinook can't wait.

Last edited:
When you compare on a per capita bases what the USA has spent on Pacific salmon habitat restoration and salmon enhancement over the last 10 years or so it is pathetic what our Federal government has spent on Pacific Salmon. We are many billions underfunded compared to the US and for much of this period we did not have a major recession as they did and were in a position to spend more than the US per capita yet spent virtually nothing. All we see is tiny amounts like 5 million over years, usually for more studies and recently perhaps a 100 million or so again over years to try and buy an election, usually announced with great fanfare and with very little of it going to actually directly increasing Pacific Salmon in the ocean. These pathetic amounts are the equivalent of one grain of sand on long beach. It is not like they don't have the tax dollars. When it comes to rolling out the pork and corporate welfare, especially in Central Canada, they always seem to have billions, many, many billions.

In BC it has usually been those associated with the Public Sector Fishery that has had to fund raise and volunteer on small salmon habitat restoration projects and salmon enhancement with Ottawa and DFO doing little and in some cases not only not helping with even token amounts of financial support, but actually getting in the way to block and limit those efforts. Even a few hundred thousand would make a huge difference to stream keepers and volunteer hatchery and Chinook enhancement projects. There are many other great examples like barrier projects on poison creosote coated pilings to protect herring eggs which would make a difference. You can't have more salmon without salmon food. A lot of the funds raised by anglers for projects like these are drying up as fishing derby fund raisers are being cancelled.

Why do we have a thread on this forum to try and raise $10,000 towards the Sooke Chinook Enhancement Project. Why are the Public Sector Fishery volunteers having to work themselves to death to fund raise and put more Chinook into JDF where the SRKW occasionally travel through. They should not be having to fund raise, the volunteer work they do with the salmon is enough. We should have a Federal Politician turn up with a check for half a million and tell our volunteers here it is, get more Chinook into JDF and get everyone of them tagged and clipped, how soon can you scale up and how can we help, --- now that is a fantasy. That could be done for a great many Public Sectors Fishery volunteer projects all along this coast and there are many worthy examples. That would actually be Sunny Ways.

Last edited:
Back