Stop posting about fishing lingcod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rum Buddies

I get it, you want to catch something you can keep. Chinook is a no go, rockfish doesn't have enough meat and you suck at catching halibut.

There is simply not enough lingcod for all would be chinook fishermen on SVI.

In fact most WON'T target them at all, because it's such an easily exploited resource. And they are just barely hanging on.

IF you're going to fish them into oblivion(again) that's on you, but don't start posting about it and encouraging more people.

1000's and 1000's of people read these posts but aren't members. It's not just you and a few guys talkin...

Hopefully the "got to kill something" attitude will die off with the "take all, me, me" generation. Unfortunately so many are retired or retiring and can get out and fish every day of the week if they want. Come on, it's not like taking your limit every time saves your house hold money. I've been seeing it on the lakes more lately as well, goofs limiting out and bragging about the dozen's of fish they've bonked over the winter. Attitudes have to change. Hopefully what stock are there will survive until they do.

The obvious truth hurts does it Tony? I'm part of "that" generation. I'm willing to admit it I'm part of the reason we are where we are. Guess you're "special" hey?

Well you confess as much as your conscience demands. I do not agree with the statement and find it offensive.

Hey now, isn't being offended for the millenials... don't start following that example. ;)
I get it, you want to catch something you can keep. Chinook is a no go, rockfish doesn't have enough meat and you suck at catching halibut.

There is simply not enough lingcod for all would be chinook fishermen on SVI.

In fact most WON'T target them at all, because it's such an easily exploited resource. And they are just barely hanging on.

IF you're going to fish them into oblivion(again) that's on you, but don't start posting about it and encouraging more people.

1000's and 1000's of people read these posts but aren't members. It's not just you and a few guys talkin...
WOW

I'm not sure seeing a picture of a ling would make me want to rush out and catch one. Lots around the northern strait, I usually keep 3, and my wife keeps 3. We have the knowledge of good spots and could easily keep 20. I get the concern, and I'm a little worried that lings will be taking the hit in lieu of Chinook. We'll see. I would encourage anybody fishing ling to keep the just-legal ones. The spawners are the big 25 lb plus fish. We never keep more than a few Chinook either. Some were upset by the reduction in annual limit. 20 Springs for me and my wife? Never happen. Most of the salmon in my freezer in the fall, legal commercial caught Sockeye

I'm not sure seeing a picture of a ling would make me want to rush out and catch one. Lots around the northern straite

Sure maybe it might not make YOU run out to catch out... But there's 1000's and 1000's of people that browse this board. People that don't even know anything about Ling.

So yes, posting a picture of a big female ling will encourage others to go try and get one. And down here on SVI, the population has just barely been built back up - but could easily be decimated with 1-2 hard seasons of pressure.

Super happy there's lots of lings and little pressure in the middle of nowhere where you live - but down here I'm concerned about the populations.

So go ahead fish and catch a ling if that's what you want to do. But do the fish a favor and don't post about it, that's all I'm saying.

We all learned to stop posting about wild steelhead years ago -- get with the program.

Hey now, isn't being offended for the millenials... don't start following that example. ;)

Yes – you are right. Tomorrow I will fire up my float-plane to fly into the interior, collect my gas-guzzler and head off to shoot a grizzlie - before they become extinct and the opportunity is lost!

Still pretty heated up about all this, I see. But members of this forum have a right to post anything they want. I would encourage anglers to keep only the smallest lings they can. Not really sure where you're going with the Steelhead reference. It's been catch and release on wild Steelhead since like 1983. I am with the program. I probably keep fewer fish than most.

I'm certainly not calling anybody names. Lings are legal to catch all over the B.C. coast. If you want to post a picture of your catch, I have no problem with that, But... I still would encourage anybody fishing lings to keep the small ones. Leave the big female spawners alone. Release them if you encounter them, as I do...

California and Washington State used to have tremendous fishing, including bottom fishing. Now the charters there are pumped about guests catching 5lb fish - rock cod, ling, and 10lb halibut.

Checkout the fishing photos in Army and Navy in Gastown. Absolute hogs caught from row boats in the harbor.

Halibut used to be caught all through Georgia Strait, and they haven't recovered.

The trend is obvious for our fishery. Guides will aggressively say how it's not happening, until they get shut down like SVI. We'll all point fingers at each other on who's fault it is. But the bottom line is: there's too many people taking from the ocean. I'm one of them. and it's for sport, with a side benefit of getting food.

I've commercial fished (troll), guided, and sport fished all my life and I've seen the trends. We can build the stocks back up, but we all (comm, FN, sports) have to take LESS. It's about enjoying time on the water, not bragging about limiting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back