Boycott corporations that support Chinook non-retention or a total fishery closure

saltcod

Ok Guys and Gals. There are quite a number of foreign corporations that support fishery closures or an outright ban on salmon fishing in Alaska, British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. We are defending our way of life here folks. Compile a list of companies that operate in Canada, and support a closure of the salmon fishery.
1. patagonia. They support the Raincoast conservancy, which has clearly stated on their website that they advocate for severe restrictions or outright closure of the salmon fishery in Alaska, British Columbia Washington and Oregon. Don't buy patagonia!

Ok Guys and Gals. There are quite a number of foreign corporations that support fishery closures or an outright ban on salmon fishing in Alaska, British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. We are defending our way of life here folks. Compile a list of companies that operate in Canada, and support a closure of the salmon fishery.
1. patagonia. They support the Raincoast conservancy, which has clearly stated on their website that they advocate for severe restrictions or outright closure of the salmon fishery in Alaska, British Columbia Washington and Oregon. Don't buy patagonia!
Might be better to call Patagonia out for that particular donation to Raincoast conservancy. They donate to others that seem to be in line with sustaining a sport fishery and habitat restoration. Keep them accountable. https://www.patagonia.com/actionworks/campaigns/protect-wild-fish/

Not trying to dissuade you, but it has proven again and again that consumer boycotts don't work. Most common example is the continuous calls to boycott certain gas stations. These are all very noble thoughts and idealistic ways to attempt to "stick it to the man" - or xxx companies , but very difficult to organize, convince consumers - and most importantly, very difficult to sustain.

Plenty of info on Google. Search for "why consumer boycotts don't work."

Not trying to dissuade you, but it has proven again and again that consumer boycotts don't work. Most common example is the continuous calls to boycott certain gas stations. These are all very noble thoughts and idealistic ways to attempt to "stick it to the man" - or xxx companies , but very difficult to organize, convince consumers - and most importantly, very difficult to sustain.

Plenty of info on Google. Search for "why consumer boycotts don't work."
As a businessman, practically the worst thing you want nowadays is negative press, poor google ratings. Times have changed. Everything patagonia makes is made by somebody else, maybe somebody that's not supporting the end of our fishery. Better than doing nothing!

Might be better to call Patagonia out for that particular donation to Raincoast conservancy. They donate to others that seem to be in line with sustaining a sport fishery and habitat restoration. Keep them accountable. https://www.patagonia.com/actionworks/campaigns/protect-wild-fish/
Was it just one donation? Patagonia lists the Raincoast conservancy as one of their causes. That's not a one donation kind of thing, that smacks of continuous funding. Check out patagonia's website and all the causes they support. One of them is the Raincoast Conservancy. If you then independently go to their website, not just clicking on the link in the patagonia site, then check out their SRKW views. They advocate for severe restrictions on salmon fishing from Alaska to Oregon, or even a total closure of the fishery. If you are a recreational salmon fisher, this company wants to take away your right to fish!

Last edited:
As a businessman, practically the worst thing you want nowadays is negative press, poor google ratings. Times have changed. Everything patagonia makes is made by somebody else, maybe somebody that's not supporting the end of our fishery. Better than doing nothing!

This an area that although I am not an expert, I am still qualified to speak about. Using Patagonia as an example - but could be any company. Many times a consumer boycott will backfire as a company like Patagonia has 1.5 million followers on Facebook alone. These types of followers are ardent and very loyal supporters and I would be interested to see you go and post on the Patagonia page that you intend to boycott them. The negative reactions will be swift and ruthless. And in today's all too connected world, it does not take much to link a person to his / her company - even if that company is not listed in your FB profile and so, your boycott crusade could be all too easily turned against you and your own business.

Again, do a Google search for "why consumer boycotts don't work" and you will find much written about boycott backlash. So in other words, be careful what you wish for.

Are you a patagonia employee? No need to post on their FB page, just spread the word not to buy their product. Pretty simple

Are we going to boycott corporations that cause habitat destruction and climate change?

Those are the corps that really deserve the stink eye.

But no, let's get pissed off the Company's that actually put money directly into habitats.

Some of you guys have your priorities out of whack just because you don't get to bonk fish.

Hmm, getting a lot of push back about not supporting companies that support Engo's that want to completely close the fishery. Dollars count. No companies want bad P.R. If companies are called to account about groups they support that is a healthy dialogue. I've contacted patagonia to get their position on the Chinook widespread non-retension in southern B.C.

Are you a patagonia employee? No need to post on their FB page, just spread the word not to buy their product. Pretty simple

No I am not a Patagonia employee. From my above post: Using Patagonia as an example - but could be any company.

look, as I said before I'm not quite sure why there is so much push back on this thread. All that needs to happen is that at a grass roots level every person who supports our Chinook fishery should mention to every friend of theirs they see wearing a patagonia jacket that they are supporting a company, that through their support of Raincoast Conservancy, advocates for the end of our fishery. Read the Raincoast SRKW stuff. They are advocating for an end to our fishery!

look, as I said before I'm not quite sure why there is so much push back on this thread. All that needs to happen is that at a grass roots level every person who supports our Chinook fishery should mention to every friend of theirs they see wearing a patagonia jacket that they are supporting a company, that through their support of Raincoast Conservancy, advocates for the end of our fishery. Read the Raincoast SRKW stuff. They are advocating for an end to our fishery!

I hear what you’re saying but unfortunately there are two proven facts around this story:

1- consumer boycotts have never worked
2- the average guy who wears a Patagonia jacket doesn’t give a **** if you and I don’t get to bonk a chinook.

Don’t need to boycott them, all you need to do is vote conservative and the right wing movement will take care of them.

These groups are not making the changes the current government is.

The political winds are starting to stack up like they did the last time the liberals got voted out people had it with things like the gun registry and them pushing to to far too the left.

Last edited:
I hear what you’re saying but unfortunately there are two proven facts around this story:

1- consumer boycotts have never worked
2- the average guy who wears a Patagonia jacket doesn’t give a **** if you and I don’t get to bonk a chinook.
Man, I see a lot of saltwater guides wearing them. If they don't give a **** then they ought to..

Man, I see a lot of saltwater guides wearing them. If they don't give a **** then they ought to..
Unfortunately, those guys are a small group. Average customer base doesn’t represent the guiding and angling industry. Gotta focus the PR effort on corporations that destroy the habitat and pollute our waters.

The irony to this is that Patagonia's true goal is inline with what we all want. They want wild fish to sustain themselves. That is what we all should want.

Ideal world is that we have a managed wild fishery that doesn't need enhancement.

Unfortunately, those guys are a small group. Average customer base doesn’t represent the guiding and angling industry. Gotta focus the PR effort on corporations that destroy the habitat and pollute our waters.
ok, name some names then

Back